Author Topic: A Fistful of Warlocks (SPOILERS: FISTFUL OF WARLOCKS)  (Read 30276 times)

Offline BigFire

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: A Fistful of Warlocks (SPOILERS: FISTFUL OF WARLOCKS)
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2017, 03:07:54 PM »
Isn't that mostly due to Stuart Lake's heavily fictionalised "biography" of Earp?

In reality, he was an occasional law enforcer and gambler who was accused of murder after the O.K. Corral shootout and got off because he hired a famous defence attorney. Doesn't really scream "zombie killer" material to me.

He's also been in multiple gunfights and walked away from all of them without a scratch.  Literally immuned to bullet.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2017, 04:54:44 PM »
He only had the earth-magic Cane sword of his own, unless you count the Swords in his keeping.

I thought there was a mention of camoflaging the holy swords in a bucket of mundane ones. Might have been props from his dad's stage magic rather than actual weapons though...

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2017, 05:02:49 PM »
I thought there was a mention of camoflaging the holy swords in a bucket of mundane ones. Might have been props from his dad's stage magic rather than actual weapons though...
I think it was an Umbrella stand. So with umbrellas, and Canes. And the like.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2017, 05:27:38 PM »
I think it was an Umbrella stand. So with umbrellas, and Canes. And the like.

Yep, I got the same idea
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2017, 05:51:10 PM »
Same.  And when asked if he'll ever get a sword, WOJ responses seem to be some variation of "Luccio cant make them anymore and Harry's more of a Gun Guy anyway." 

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Anubissama

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2017, 06:01:06 PM »
On the other hand, it has been what 8-10 years in-story since Luccio got body swap? (there was some odd time passage between Ghost Story-Cold Days)

She said she would be able to adjust her skills to her new body after some time. So I'm still hoping for a Warden Sword for Harry at some point.
DV Anubissama V1.2 YR5 FR(M) 3 BK++++: RP++++: JB+: TH+++: WG: CL++: SW +(-): BC+: MC+++: SH(Molly)+++++:

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2017, 06:03:28 PM »
I took it as the adjusting was hers to do mostly. As literally different bodies, different Engines of magic are good at different things. Not that you can't train better but I think she said her new body lacked potential to do so.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Anubissama

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2017, 06:27:40 PM »
On the other hand, Capiorcorpus wasn't in a hurry when choosing that particular body.

So either that body has Wizard level talent, which means at some point Luccio can regain all her skills, just reskinned for the new body, or there are ways to deal with lower talented bodies if you are a Wizards soul with higher skills stuck in them.

And Luccio could discover those potentially too.
DV Anubissama V1.2 YR5 FR(M) 3 BK++++: RP++++: JB+: TH+++: WG: CL++: SW +(-): BC+: MC+++: SH(Molly)+++++:

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2017, 06:57:22 PM »
On the other hand, Capiorcorpus wasn't in a hurry when choosing that particular body.

So either that body has Wizard level talent, which means at some point Luccio can regain all her skills, just reskinned for the new body, or there are ways to deal with lower talented bodies if you are a Wizards soul with higher skills stuck in them.

Also possible that the necromantic abilities are less specific to innate talents, I suppose.  She hopped a few times in DB, but only to carefully chosen host (the prof and then the Grad student) or a known Council Wizard.  By GS she was far more desperate and so presumably far less picky. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2017, 09:07:11 PM »

Ghost Harry seemed able to pull his usual stunts in Molly's body without trouble. She even comments on it afterwards.

So it's likely just a matter of time and adjustment. Give her about a century to hit her stride again and Luccio should be okay. (That said, Corpsetaker seemed to think that the right body made a difference, so who knows?)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2017, 03:41:23 AM »
He's also been in multiple gunfights and walked away from all of them without a scratch.  Literally immuned to bullet.
That only prooves he was a better killer not he was a better man. A bit of wiki reading leaves a lot of questions about the man.

But it is not about the real man, it is about the story that grew around him. The real men behind the stories are often disappointing.

Charlemagne was not a nice man.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2017, 04:04:02 AM »
I said Legend for a reason. In Dresden legends are truth. Even more recent ones.

This^^^.

Harry has noted several times over the course of the stories that 'conventional' mundane history is simply often wrong in the DV.  In Grave Peril, for ex, he notes to himself that the dark gods, evil spirits, vampires and monsters more-or-less ruled the world up until a few centuries earlier.  In another book he observes that the 'Grimm's Fairy Tales' were actually not so far off from the reality of the Middle Ages in some ways.

The 'cynical/realistic' take on history that is widely accepted in the real world today is simply not necessarily valid in the DV.  Sometimes, the myth is closer to the truth than the deconstruction of it.

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2017, 04:05:23 AM »
I took it as the adjusting was hers to do mostly. As literally different bodies, different Engines of magic are good at different things. Not that you can't train better but I think she said her new body lacked potential to do so.

I think the issue is that magic is rooted in both the mind and the body.  Which means that different bodies will give different magical potentials even with the same soul.  It might be possible to compensate for that to a degree, but probably never completely.

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2017, 04:07:36 AM »
That only prooves he was a better killer not he was a better man.

But in a combat situation, 'better killer' is often what you need.

A bit of wiki reading leaves a lot of questions about the man.

But it is not about the real man, it is about the story that grew around him. The real men behind the stories are often disappointing.

Charlemagne was not a nice man.

Successful rulers and leaders often are not.  Sometimes you can't be both nice and successful in politics and war.  It's not hard to find examples in history of kings and rulers who were kind, decent...and ineffectual or worse.

Offline jamescagney22

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2017, 05:37:19 AM »
But in a combat situation, 'better killer' is often what you need.

Successful rulers and leaders often are not.  Sometimes you can't be both nice and successful in politics and war.  It's not hard to find examples in history of kings and rulers who were kind, decent...and ineffectual or worse.

I believe that is why the moniker of "Great" is earned, Elizabeth, Catherine, Frederick, Alfred, etc.... but alas they are few and far between.