Author Topic: A Fistful of Warlocks (SPOILERS: FISTFUL OF WARLOCKS)  (Read 30144 times)

Offline Anubissama

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: A Fistful of Warlocks (SPOILERS: FISTFUL OF WARLOCKS)
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2017, 02:51:27 PM »
Isn't that mostly due to Stuart Lake's heavily fictionalised "biography" of Earp?

In reality, he was an occasional law enforcer and gambler who was accused of murder after the O.K. Corral shootout and got off because he hired a famous defence attorney. Doesn't really scream "zombie killer" material to me.
DV Anubissama V1.2 YR5 FR(M) 3 BK++++: RP++++: JB+: TH+++: WG: CL++: SW +(-): BC+: MC+++: SH(Molly)+++++:

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2017, 03:41:48 PM »
What you're missing is that this is Wyatt Earp. Wyatt Earp.  He's a literal legend. Documentaries are made about him. He's taught about in American schools. Having him be anything other than strictly epic would ruin the cameo and feel off to anyone with enough knowledge of both American History and Alt-history genre savvy. So no, it doesn't give necromancers a bad name. It holds true to the legends of the source material in the same way making Odin terrifyingly powerful does.
Yep, missing that. He's the inspiration for pretty much any badass gunslinger to come after.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2017, 04:21:24 PM »
Yep, missing that. He's the inspiration for pretty much any badass gunslinger to come after.

Well, except for the man with no name, that is.  :D
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2017, 05:21:06 PM »
Well, except for the man with no name, that is.  :D
He is the man with no name, he just stopped using one so he wouldn't grow a huge mantle around it ;) see Marty Robins, Big Iron.

Offline wyltok

• Posty McPostington
  • With Great Power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2017, 09:24:51 PM »
The idea of using something as a horse that's, mythologically speaking, a close cousin to Jenny Greenteeth was just ... disturbing...

Not just Jenny Greenteeth, but Lily as well, who's half-nixie, per Summer Knight.

The only thing I'm sad about regarding this story was that I was hoping to find out why sheriff badges are five-pointed stars inside a circle.
Every time you do something, somebody says: "(gasp!) That has this implication and this implication and that implication!" and you go like: "No, what I really meant was, the curtains were blue."
- Jim Butcher at Space City Con, 2013

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2017, 03:01:11 AM »
The only thing I'm sad about regarding this story was that I was hoping to find out why sheriff badges are five-pointed stars inside a circle.
Often they're not.  Sometimes they're 6 or 7 pointed stars, and often extend past the circle, rather than are confined within it.

Though apparently the older ones were kept within the circle mostly.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:03:43 AM by peregrine »

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2017, 04:16:06 AM »
Ok, I've just read this story. I liked it more than expected (because I don't care too much for westerns or for Luccio). A few comments (SPOILERS!!!)

I think Luccio considered that setting the place on fire wouldn't be "killing by magic". That doesn't mean there is not a law against that.

About what you were discussing before about McCoy, perhaps he was the Blackstaff and the Captain at the same time, but Luccio didn't know he was the Blackstaff

I agree about how suspicious it it that Kemmler left her skin behind. It smells trap.

I wanted to see Karl set free, his work done. Also I believe he could have been used better.

No dying curses from the bad guys? It seems too convenient. Also I clearly remember Harry several times thinking that a bullet is very efficient against dying curses but that is a modern concept that most old wizards in the Council didn't gatther. Still, Luccio had it very clear in this story

I was angry "someone" saved her in the end. She had done a lot, she deserved to save herself.

Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2017, 10:18:34 AM »
No dying curses from the bad guys? It seems too convenient. Also I clearly remember Harry several times thinking that a bullet is very efficient against dying curses but that is a modern concept that most old wizards in the Council didn't gatther. Still, Luccio had it very clear in this story.

Luccio isn't the usual crusty old wizard in the books either. She's very open-minded about modern technology. Her hobby is reading about computers, after all.

I think that might actually be the reason she made Captain in the first place. She wasn't particular about how the job got done, she did it.

Offline Anubissama

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2017, 02:13:04 PM »
Any thought on Luccio's sword? There are two quotes regarding it:

(click to show/hide)

And later during the fight:

(click to show/hide)

None of this quotes make it explicit if this is already the Enchantment Cutting Sword she will be making for all the Wardens later. The way it is used here, it could be a simple focus she uses to fight.

Anyway, it would suggest that either Luccio was an outliner as a Warden using a sword, which later gave here the idea to make the enchanted swords which all Wardens would carry.

Or there is a tradition of Warden using sword regardless if they are enchanted or not, which begs the question why didn't the new Baby Wardens and Harry got normal swords.
DV Anubissama V1.2 YR5 FR(M) 3 BK++++: RP++++: JB+: TH+++: WG: CL++: SW +(-): BC+: MC+++: SH(Molly)+++++:

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2017, 02:42:38 PM »
heh
(click to show/hide)

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2017, 03:20:21 PM »
Any thought on Luccio's sword? There are two quotes regarding it:

(click to show/hide)

And later during the fight:

(click to show/hide)

None of this quotes make it explicit if this is already the Enchantment Cutting Sword she will be making for all the Wardens later. The way it is used here, it could be a simple focus she uses to fight.

Anyway, it would suggest that either Luccio was an outliner as a Warden using a sword, which later gave here the idea to make the enchanted swords which all Wardens would carry.

Or there is a tradition of Warden using sword regardless if they are enchanted or not, which begs the question why didn't the new Baby Wardens and Harry got normal swords.

My guess would be that she had the idea to use a sword not just as a sword but also as a focus. Maybe other Wardens did so too, but we don't know if it was a tradition. Would make sense, because swords used to be common weapons that everyone carried, so why not use something you carry around anyway as an additional focus.

She just developed the technique so far that she was able to create the Warden swords later for all her colleagues. What we see in the story is an early version of those though, imo.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2017, 05:34:44 PM »
Luccio isn't the usual crusty old wizard in the books either. She's very open-minded about modern technology. Her hobby is reading about computers, after all.

I think that might actually be the reason she made Captain in the first place. She wasn't particular about how the job got done, she did it.

Absolutely, In fact, I was very happy to see such a modern girl, wearing special glasses, and guns (like Harry himself) and knowing about scientific ideas like nature of light.It's very consistent with the Luccio who reads about computers. I am hoping new young wizard Luccio can find a way to actually use a computer (I've been saying for years than wizards need to do a protective circle around a computer another person (not wizard) is using and then the wizard could read above his/her shoulcer, suggest things to do, things like that. Luccio may be able to find something better. For instance, use a desktop PC. Put a circle around the CPU amd another around the monitor. Lastly try to wear the oldest keyboard you can find. Another option is using a voice activated software. Your voice can cross the circle but your magic can´t)

I agree with your post about her sword.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2017, 05:51:33 PM »
Isn't that mostly due to Stuart Lake's heavily fictionalised "biography" of Earp?

In reality, he was an occasional law enforcer and gambler who was accused of murder after the O.K. Corral shootout and got off because he hired a famous defence attorney. Doesn't really scream "zombie killer" material to me.
I said Legend for a reason. In Dresden legends are truth. Even more recent ones.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2017, 06:26:10 PM »

Harry already had several swords (his magnetism focus, and I believe a few  ordinary ones) before he got drafted.

Carlos and most of the younger cohort probably just don't think mundane swords would be worth carrying next to staffs and guns and grenades. When everybody else still carrying swords would have decades to centuries of experience over them anyway, it's hardly worth the trouble to carry around and conceal swords if they can't sever spells or be charged to cut through tree trunks and stuff.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2017, 06:33:47 PM »
Harry already had several swords (his magnetism focus, and I believe a few  ordinary ones) before he got drafted.
He only had the earth-magic Cane sword of his own, unless you count the Swords in his keeping.  Murphy had a katana, and the Carpenters obviously are well-armed but those are the swordsfolk on the good-guy side. 

Oh, Hendricks has a Magic Sword these days, though no Idea what it does.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain