Author Topic: Smaug, Mr. Ferro... and Dollar Signs in the Eyes  (Read 12110 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Smaug, Mr. Ferro... and Dollar Signs in the Eyes
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2017, 06:07:22 PM »
Right, right.  Value is in the eye of the beholder.

Did Mab take the Athame in payment for curing Leah, or did she take it for some other reason?
I'd been assuming the former since we found out the whole deal in CD.  If she took it for some other reason, then we have two separate bargains with unknowns on one side.  But that might explain why Mab was personally wearing the athame in her appearance in DB, which has always bothered my given that it was the vector for Nemfection.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2017, 07:56:41 PM »
I'd been assuming the former since we found out the whole deal in CD.  If she took it for some other reason, then we have two separate bargains with unknowns on one side.  But that might explain why Mab was personally wearing the athame in her appearance in DB, which has always bothered my given that it was the vector for Nemfection.

Unless she'd already determined that it could no longer transmit nemesis.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2017, 08:43:29 PM »
Unless she'd already determined that it could no longer transmit nemesis.
That's the only explanation I can come up with, though Id like some nod to it one day. The only other option I can think of would be that the Queen of Winter is somehow immune, but CD certainly made that unlikely. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2017, 03:14:33 PM »
That's the only explanation I can come up with, though Id like some nod to it one day. The only other option I can think of would be that the Queen of Winter is somehow immune, but CD certainly made that unlikely.

Agreed, though maybe her wearing it WAS a nod to it no longer being a nemesis threat.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline ~Shadow~

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2017, 04:26:56 PM »

Is it not possible that she's 'immune' in so much that, if she's aware and on the ball, then like with the Gatekeeper's eye detecting Nemesis, it's next to impossible to N-fect a Fae Queen once you get into the Mab/Titania realm. It makes sense the Ladies can be vulnerable as the youngest, least experienced and powerful of the trio. The Queens might be able to be N-fected, but it's as unlikely to happen as anything (though some have, and will argue that Titania is probably vulnerable now in her emotional state, though I think it's overstated). And when you get to the Mothers, they are probably 'literally' incapable of being tainted.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2017, 04:41:36 PM »
Is it not possible that she's 'immune' in so much that, if she's aware and on the ball, then like with the Gatekeeper's eye detecting Nemesis, it's next to impossible to N-fect a Fae Queen once you get into the Mab/Titania realm. It makes sense the Ladies can be vulnerable as the youngest, least experienced and powerful of the trio. The Queens might be able to be N-fected, but it's as unlikely to happen as anything (though some have, and will argue that Titania is probably vulnerable now in her emotional state, though I think it's overstated). And when you get to the Mothers, they are probably 'literally' incapable of being tainted.

Could also be simply a matter of a) being willing, which is required and which Maeve was not and b)having access to the proper Wellspring, being the means we've seen Mab remove Nemfection.  Thought Lea is not a Mantled creature like the Queens, so there is that difference. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2017, 08:12:34 PM »
There is a common theme of that can't protect yourself from your own energies. So I wonder if those infected by nemesis, cold be vulnerable to the athame itself? So say Ferra is infected, Harry could use that blade to harm him more easily.
k moinuddin

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2017, 10:12:49 PM »
There is a common theme of that can't protect yourself from your own energies. So I wonder if those infected by nemesis, cold be vulnerable to the athame itself? So say Ferra is infected, Harry could use that blade to harm him more easily.
That would be really cool, and an interesting way to keep the athame relevant. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2017, 08:06:52 PM »
It is always awesome using the enemies weapons against themselves.
k moinuddin

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2017, 05:28:49 PM »
It is always awesome using the enemies weapons against themselves.

Which is also a common thread throughout the series