Author Topic: Player Character Balance Issue  (Read 2241 times)

Offline tagancalera

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Player Character Balance Issue
« on: June 20, 2017, 11:59:35 PM »
Hi all, I'm running a game in DFRPG for the first time and I'm trying to figure out how to handle a specific request from one of my players.

I'm starting off everyone at the same power level in the game, for game balance purposes. But, one of my players wants to have a Dire Wolf (a scion of Fenrir) in the same capacity that Harry has Mouse.

Do I count this Dire Wolf as a separate character? If I do, then the player gets to build a character just at the same power level as everyone else, but now ALSO has a Dire Wolf.

Do I count the Dire Wolf into their total "pool of resources" that make up there character? If I do, how do I call out this animal companion and what do I put on the character sheet?

I'm a very stat-system experienced GM, using the likes of GURPS, and trying to "story stat" this Fate system is proving challenging.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Player Character Balance Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 01:13:34 AM »
Your best bet is probably to make the wolf an Aspect. When the player wants to get some kind of benefit from the wolf, they spend a Fate Point. When the wolf causes trouble for them, they get a Fate Point.

Chances are, the wolf will be a strong net benefit. But that means the player is spending many more points than they're getting, so it's not actually a balance problem.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 12:43:39 PM »
I like the aspect idea.  You could even have him make survival rolls in place of investigation to have the wolf scout ahead or in place of other trappings.  In fact, he could take a stunt to move one trapping to another skill with the flavour that the wolf is doing the action. Maybe with a +1 benefit since it only works if the wolf is around.   Other than that, play it as an autonomous NPC using the survival skill instead of contacts.  Use compels and invocations to fill the gaps. 

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 09:17:06 PM »
I like it, very clean and simple.  The nosebleed section Approves.   :)

The other, far more work intensive option is to give ALL players some form of NPC companion, so they all get full PC level 2ndary characters.  But to make that worth it they'd all need to commit to making them relevant, which is going to put a more specific tone to the game.  (And hopefully they can eventually all come together to form one SUPER lion-bot.   8))
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline khadgar4606

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 06:16:32 AM »
better question why fido's dad if f ing fenrir can you explain to me and aspect my be good like i own fenrirs children  ( ops this might be high concept to)

Offline Smaug with OCD

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 04:26:45 AM »
Approaching the situation from the opposite direction: You could make the scion of Fenrir as the character, and have the human be an aspect. It all depends on what your player wants to do, and where you want the narrative emphasis. Do they want to play the humanoid or the "dog?"
Cookies are awesome. Join the Dark Side.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 01:02:46 PM »
Approaching the situation from the opposite direction: You could make the scion of Fenrir as the character, and have the human be an aspect. It all depends on what your player wants to do, and where you want the narrative emphasis. Do they want to play the humanoid or the "dog?"

This is a great idea