Author Topic: Mac  (Read 7900 times)

Offline lumps937

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Mac
« on: June 17, 2017, 03:11:26 AM »
I'm rereading Proven Guilty.  Right after the Ladies leave Mac's,  Harry says, "Sometimes, Mac can be downright angelic." Might Mac have some connections Upstairs? He seems to have more personality than some of the angels we've met, so that doesn't really fit, but is it possible there are angelic scions, much like fae scions?

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: Mac
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 03:46:39 AM »
Mac is a guy, nothing he's done has shown he's more than a normal guy.  And he's Out.
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 05:33:21 AM »
I'm rereading Proven Guilty.  Right after the Ladies leave Mac's,  Harry says, "Sometimes, Mac can be downright angelic." Might Mac have some connections Upstairs? He seems to have more personality than some of the angels we've met, so that doesn't really fit, but is it possible there are angelic scions, much like fae scions?
That possibility has been mentioned once or twice.  There are several other occasions where Harry refers to Mac (or his food/beer) as heavenly and such. 

But there's also a WoJ that says Mac has never done anything beyond the means of a mortal. 

Some take that as a sign that he's vanilla.  Some think he might have been the Winter Knight (Tam Lin), which is a mortal mantle.  Some think he's a Scion/changeling/nephilim that's remained powerless.  Some think he's an angel or some other being that set aside his power/mantle/Grace, giving up who he was to be a (transubstantiated) mortal named Mac, who has never done anything beyond the capabilities of a mortal.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 05:25:20 PM »
How about Mac being a Changling?

It could make sense, with Mab healing him, and him having extraordinary healing abilities.  Further it could offer him a long life.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 06:12:40 PM »
How about Mac being a Changling?

It could make sense, with Mab healing him, and him having extraordinary healing abilities.  Further it could offer him a long life.
As far as I understand it, being a Changeling cant last that long without outside intervention (Mab or similar).  Otherwise their Choice just gets made unconsciously, but they'll eventually fall out on one side or the other. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 07:23:02 PM »
As far as I understand it, being a Changeling cant last that long without outside intervention (Mab or similar).  Otherwise their Choice just gets made unconsciously, but they'll eventually fall out on one side or the other.

I would say that's an assumption.  We haven't seen any older changelings, other than Sarissa.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 07:38:07 PM »
I would say that's an assumption.  We haven't seen any older changelings, other than Sarissa.
Ummmm, Exactly?   :P

Im basing int on this and the fact that Sarissa had to Bargain with Mab.

2011 Bitten by Books Q&A
Does Kincaid have the ability to “choose” like Faerie changelings (i.e Meryl/Fix/Lily)?”
All scions do, though if they never twig to the fact that they ARE a scion, it’s their actions that make the Choice for them. Kincaid made his Choice a long, long time ago.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 07:49:36 PM »
Ummmm, Exactly?   :P

Im basing int on this and the fact that Sarissa had to Bargain with Mab.

Okay, and maybe Mac made a similar choice to what Kincaid made.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 08:07:16 PM »
Okay, and maybe Mac made a similar choice to what Kincaid made.
But then he'd either be a full Fae (which Harry would have noticed by now) or he'd be an actual, factual vanilla Mortal with no unusual healing abilities whatsoever.  Changeling only fits him if he's managed to stall out straddling the fence.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 02:34:46 PM »
Okay, and maybe Mac made a similar choice to what Kincaid Sarissa made.

But then he'd either be a full Fae (which Harry would have noticed by now) or he'd be an actual, factual vanilla Mortal with no unusual healing abilities whatsoever.  Changeling only fits him if he's managed to stall out straddling the fence.
Sorry, fixed it.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 06:01:40 PM »

Sorry, fixed it.
Actually, you were more correct the first time.  Kincaid is (as far as we know) a vanilla mortal that chose what he is, but has managed to live for centuries.  That's probably more like whatever Mac is, rather than an unchosen.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 06:06:38 PM »
Actually, you were more correct the first time.  Kincaid is (as far as we know) a vanilla mortal that chose what he is, but has managed to live for centuries.  That's probably more like whatever Mac is, rather than an unchosen.
Are you thinking that Kincaid actually /is/ human somehow, rather than simply lying to Harry that time?  Id always thought His unconscious Choice had to be his Inhuman side which is what kept him alive.  Unless he chose Human and his Human side turned out to be a Wizard?  That only works if he's somehow Lost his magic recently (otherwise he'd have used it in SmF, no?). 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 06:58:22 PM »
Are you thinking that Kincaid actually /is/ human somehow, rather than simply lying to Harry that time?  Id always thought His unconscious Choice had to be his Inhuman side which is what kept him alive.  Unless he chose Human and his Human side turned out to be a Wizard?  That only works if he's somehow Lost his magic recently (otherwise he'd have used it in SmF, no?).
I don't think Kincaid was lying.  I think he thinks he's just as human as Harry, who isn't entirely human.  Compared to vanilla humans, Harry is a demigod.  He'll live for centuries, his injuries heal much better than normal for humans, and he has access to power that lets him manipulate reality around him to certain degrees.

By comparison, we know that Kincaid has lived for centuries, has somehow survived the things he's faced in that time, and has senses (and potentially abilities and skillsets) beyond human levels.  He could quite possibly be more human than Harry in some ways.

Now, as to the source of Kincaid's longevity and senses, I'm not sure.  I don't think we know enough about the nature of Changelings/Scions/Nephilim to know what physically and spiritually happens to them if the choose mortality.  Are Kincaid's genetics superior to a normal human's because of his parentage?  And if so, is his physical body left as-is if he decides to remain mortal?  Maybe, maybe not.

Personally, I figure wizards are descendants of scions that chose mortality, but got to keep a small measure of power or ability.  Kincaid might be the same, but from a different branch in the sire-tree.

Which would make him just as human as Harry. 

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 07:13:29 PM »
To Piggyback on Griff, we don't know if wizards have some genetic thing that sets them apart from the rest of humanity.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 07:58:50 PM »
To Piggyback on Griff, we don't know if wizards have some genetic thing that sets them apart from the rest of humanity.
Well, just to footnote my thoughts, 1) genetic variation is very small, and 2) there's no proof (yet) that magic is genetic at all in the Dresdenverse.

Every human shares at least 99% of identical code.  All variation exists in that 1%.  There could be just one sequence that's activated for practitioners.  Or, the difference could be entirely metaphysical, in which case there's no genetic variation.  Charity might not have had a genetic sequence for practitioning; she just had a practitioner's spirit.  When she gave birth to Molly, that spirit was still strong, and was passed on.  But when she had Daniel, she'd shut that down, and it wasn't passed on.

I tend to think there's at least some genetic variation, but it's not a guarantee.