Author Topic: Are the Mothers immune to iron?  (Read 15716 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Are the Mothers immune to iron?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 12:02:44 PM »
It's also possible she was using a ceramic gun. And as far as Winter's teeth I thought in Cold Days they were specifically described as iron.
Hmm, yup, looks like you are correct:  "The next burst of sparks gleamed off of an iron surface—teeth."

I like to think that Mother Winter is just so badass/powerful that despite being just as vulnerable to Iron as any other Faerie, she keeps some in her mouth as a statement. "I use my own personal Kryptonite as Dentures, you want some of this?"
Nice  ;D
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline nedserD C B yrraH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 08:28:06 PM »
I like to think that Mother Winter is just so badass/powerful that despite being just as vulnerable to Iron as any other Faerie, she keeps some in her mouth as a statement. "I use my own personal Kryptonite as Dentures, you want some of this?"
^^^
Plus as basically a personification of death; she is also death for the fae as well which iron teeth symbolize nicely.
I'm not a Fanboy, I just Squee a lot.

DV Geek Code v1.2 YR9 FR1 BK++ RP JB++ TH ++ WG+ CL+ SW+(B,T,JM) BC+ MC +++(--) SH (Mu++Mo++El+)

Your total Dresden Files purity rating is 53.1%

All scores:
Supernatural Power:75.7%
Social Skills:45.5%
Armed Combat:6.1%
Unarmed Combat:41.8

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 03:33:46 AM »
It's also possible she was using a ceramic gun. And as far as Winter's teeth I thought in Cold Days they were specifically described as iron.

By Harry Dresden in the first person.  Which means they may, or may not, actually be made of element 56 on the periodic table.  I don't think Harry had time to do spectroscopy at that particular juncture. :lol:

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 11:56:33 AM »

Well, and Fae do have that sort of hand-wavy pseudo-steel they use for their armor and weapons and such.  I dont think they've ever been specifically shown to have made their own modern weapons from the stuff, but there's no reason they couldnt. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 04:32:27 PM »
Quantus has already mentioned it, but IMO the teeth represent different roles she caries, and my theory is that the Iron Teeth roll isn't a farie one. 

There is precedent for this kind of thing in WoJ on Vadderung, which Quantus also mentioned.

Quote from: WoJ
Is Kringle Fae?
His mantle, yes, is part of the Winter Court. Which does not necessarily mean that he himself is Fae as much as the fact that his mantle is. While he’s there, he’s got to pay deference to Mab. If Mab gives him a command, he has to obey it.

I believe it's also possible that Mother Winter flat out isn't vulnerable to iron, but at a minimum, she has certain rolls or mantles she inhabits that aren't. 
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 05:20:18 PM »
Quantus has already mentioned it, but IMO the teeth represent different roles she caries, and my theory is that the Iron Teeth roll isn't a farie one. 

There is precedent for this kind of thing in WoJ on Vadderung, which Quantus also mentioned.

I believe it's also possible that Mother Winter flat out isn't vulnerable to iron, but at a minimum, she has certain rolls or mantles she inhabits that aren't.

Perhaps it's a good idea to go back and look at exactly what was happening when she was seen with the Iron teeth.  Perhaps it will point out some clues as to why at that particular time she wasn't in her Mother Winter Fae Mantle.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline ViperMagnum357

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 05:43:12 PM »
When Harry summons her, he calls her by 2 other names-Atropos, and Skuld. That may be why she is holding an iron cleaver when she pulls him into the cottage.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2017, 06:04:08 PM »
Perhaps it's a good idea to go back and look at exactly what was happening when she was seen with the Iron teeth.  Perhaps it will point out some clues as to why at that particular time she wasn't in her Mother Winter Fae Mantle.

In SK it was part of the initial description of the cottage:

Quote from: SK ch. 26
The place was all one room. The floor was wooden, though the boards looked weathered and dry. Shelves stood against the stone walls. A loom rested in the far corner, near the fireplace, a spinning wheel beside it. Before the fireplace sat a rocking chair, occupied, squeaking as it moved. A figure sat in it, shrouded in a shawl, a hood, as though someone had animated a bundle of blankets and cloth. On the hearth above the fireplace sat several sets of teeth, more or less human-sized. One looked simple enough, all white and even. The next was rotted-looking, with chipped incisors and a broken molar. The next set had all pointed teeth, stained with bits of rusty brown and what looked like rotten bits of flesh stuck between them. The last was made out of some kind of silvery metal, shining like a sword.

In CD it was first in the Summoning itself, and then color description of flashes in the dark, pre-hulk moment:
Quote from: CD Ch 31
Fire and water hissed and spit, and wind moaned over the top of my grave. I braced my hands on either side of it, closed my eyes, and spoke the invocation I’d chosen, infusing my voice with my will. “Ancient crone, harbinger!” I began, then raised my voice, louder. “Longest shadow! Darkest dream! She of the endless hunger, the iron teeth, the merciless jaws!” I poured more of my wind and my will into the words, and the inside of my grave rang with the sheer volume. “I am Harry Dresden, the Winter Knight, and I needs must speak with thee! Athropos! Skuld! Mother Winter, I summon thee!”

Quote from: CD Ch 31
There was a sound in the pitch-darkness. Steel being drawn across stone. A few sparks went up, blinding in the darkness. They burned into my retinas the outline of a massive, hunched form grasping a cleaver.

Sparks danced every few seconds as Mother Winter slowly sharpened her implement. I was able to get my breathing under control and to fight past the pain. “Mmm . . .” I said. “M-Mother Winter. Such a pleasure to meet with you again.”

The next burst of sparks gleamed off of an iron surface—teeth.

“I n-need to speak to you.”

“Speak, then, manling,” said Mother Winter. “You have a little time left.”

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 06:30:38 PM »
Then as pointed out by Griff, I think she came in her Baba Yaga Mantle.

Wiki:

Scholars have identified a variety of beings in folklore and mythology who share similarities of varying extent with Baba Yaga. These similarities may be due to either direct relation or cultural contact between the Eastern Slavs and other surrounding peoples. In Eastern Europe, these figures include the Bulgarian gorska majka ('Forest Mother'); the Serbian Baba Korizma, Gvozdenzuba ('Iron Tooth'), Baba Roga (also used to scare children in Croatia and Bosnia), šumska majka ('Forest Mother'), and the babice; and the Slovenian Baba Pehtra (Perchta). In Romanian folklore, similarities have been identified in several figures, including Muma padurii ('Forest Mother'). In neighboring Germanic Europe, similarities have been observed between the Alpine Perchta and Holda or Holle in the folklore of Central and Northern Germany, and the Swiss Chlungeri.[12]
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2017, 06:34:37 PM »
Then as pointed out by Griff, I think she came in her Baba Yaga Mantle.

Wiki:

Scholars have identified a variety of beings in folklore and mythology who share similarities of varying extent with Baba Yaga. These similarities may be due to either direct relation or cultural contact between the Eastern Slavs and other surrounding peoples. In Eastern Europe, these figures include the Bulgarian gorska majka ('Forest Mother'); the Serbian Baba Korizma, Gvozdenzuba ('Iron Tooth'), Baba Roga (also used to scare children in Croatia and Bosnia), šumska majka ('Forest Mother'), and the babice; and the Slovenian Baba Pehtra (Perchta). In Romanian folklore, similarities have been identified in several figures, including Muma padurii ('Forest Mother'). In neighboring Germanic Europe, similarities have been observed between the Alpine Perchta and Holda or Holle in the folklore of Central and Northern Germany, and the Swiss Chlungeri.[12]
  There is a WOJ that refers to her as Baba Yaga as well, fwiw:

More on Fae mantle changes

if the Ladies become the Queen, what happens to the Mothers at that point? The thing is that the Mothers are kind of the foundation.  So, it’s not so much what happens to them because the little mantles changed. It’s what happens to the little mantles if the big mantles change. So, if someone whacks the being that is, for all intents and purposes, Baba Yaga, and then Mab succeeds, then Mab becomes the new Baba Yaga, and Molly gets drawn up to Mab, and they have to find someone else to become the new Lady. But on the other hand, the Mothers are extremely powerful beings (continued in the cosmology/mantle sub-section)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 05:20:34 AM »
  There is a WOJ that refers to her as Baba Yaga as well, fwiw:

More on Fae mantle changes
if the Ladies become the Queen, what happens to the Mothers at that point? The thing is that the Mothers are kind of the foundation.  So, it’s not so much what happens to them because the little mantles changed. It’s what happens to the little mantles if the big mantles change. So, if someone whacks the being that is, for all intents and purposes, Baba Yaga, and then Mab succeeds, then Mab becomes the new Baba Yaga, and Molly gets drawn up to Mab, and they have to find someone else to become the new Lady. But on the other hand, the Mothers are extremely powerful beings (continued in the cosmology/mantle sub-section)

While I never, ever want to see Molly as Winter Queen, that does strike me as an amusing scenario in one way:

Imagine a 1000 years from now, Molly with Mab's attitude and 'dignity', but somehow "I am Molly' just doesn't carry quite the same sound as 'I am Mab'. 

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 11:18:44 AM »

While I never, ever want to see Molly as Winter Queen, that does strike me as an amusing scenario in one way:

Imagine a 1000 years from now, Molly with Mab's attitude and 'dignity', but somehow "I am Molly' just doesn't carry quite the same sound as 'I am Mab'.

Perhaps a name change goes with it?  Molly is often a nick name for other more formal names.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 11:58:52 AM »
Well, her full name is Margaret Katherine Amanda Carpenter, so any of those might work as a more formal Name. 

Or, as Mira indicated, she might choose a wholly new name as her public moniker.  Per WOJ "Mab" is not her actual Name, or at least not her whole Name.  Maybe she'll choose one, or eventually decide to adopt something fitting.  The name "Maeve" appears in 1st century literature while the DF Maeve supposedly was born only a couple centuries ago, so maybe it's something that gets "picked"?

Despite all the talk about how the mantle will eventually overwrite the host entirely, we've seen several Ladies come and go without name changes, they seem to maintain much more of their Human identities and natures (part of the Lady role in the cosmic balance, methinks).  At the other end you have the Mothers that do not appear to maintain much in the way of personal identity (though they might just not share with Harry). 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2017, 04:12:20 PM »
I don't think the person of Mother Winter is vulnerable.

That being said, wasn't one of the descriptions of Mother Summer having scissors and a basket of flowers or something?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2017, 04:30:24 PM »
I don't think the person of Mother Winter is vulnerable.

That being said, wasn't one of the descriptions of Mother Summer having scissors and a basket of flowers or something?
She walked in with a basket of "cuttings" from her garden, but there was no mention of any particular tool. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/