Poll

What is a Saint? (Vote as Many as you think apply)

Other (specify below to be added)
4 (11.4%)
Something that we have not seen yet (speculate below)
8 (22.9%)
Unique Individuals We've met (maybe Michael or Shiro? Specifiy candidate below)
3 (8.6%)
Any active Knight of the Cross (Including our own Patron Saint of Nerds)
1 (2.9%)
Any current or former Knight of the Cross (including Sanya, Michael, and Murphy)
0 (0%)
One Entrusted with Soulfire by Heaven (Like Harry after SmF)
4 (11.4%)
One who Died and Got Better (Like Harry after GS)
0 (0%)
Any true Holy Man (Like Father Forthill)
9 (25.7%)
A Deceased Agent of Heaven (Like Capt Jack)
2 (5.7%)
Anyone sufficiently talented at Faith Magic (comparable to a Wizard)
4 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: What is a Saint? (Series Spoilers)  (Read 42803 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: What is a Saint? (Series Spoilers)
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2017, 04:40:42 PM »
I saw this topic when checking the forums a bit ago and didn't delve into it mostly because any speculation I've got would delve into actual real world definitions of a saint which I'm not entirely comfortable with...  Also, I've had a LOT going on lately and little keyboard access (I suck at typing things up on my phone).

I'd really like to join the conversation, but want to do it justice by reading all 6 pages.

I'll say now that
  • I think it was mentioned in Death Masks that among Nickodemus' achievements he had killed several "Saints" separately from the Knights he'd killed and...
  • I guess in the DF, what makes a capital S saint like Jim mentioned might have helped with the eradication of the Blampire Elders is that they wield Power.  The question becomes what Power, which is something I'd want to discuss after reading everyone else's input.
What power indeed?  Does it come down to a point of view?  I mean like wizards have power, wield it, but does that make them saints?   Harry says he isn't religious in the classical sense, but he does have faith in his magic..  Does that make him a saint?  Some would say yes, others based on a number of religious beliefs might say, no. Does it take more for sainthood?  Again, saints in the religious sense, usually are declared after they die and miracles are attributed to them..  Okay, but that isn't what one thinks about when we talk about the kind of power wielded to take out the Blampire Elders..   Saint Patrick however was able to drive the snakes out of Ireland or at least make them disappear along with doing a very effective Loop curse.. So he might be one of the capital "S" saints who could actually wield power in their lifetime.  Or was Saint Patrick actually a powerful wizard who decided to become a priest and later was promoted to bishop? 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 04:49:44 PM by Mira »

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2017, 05:26:08 PM »

I'll say now that
  • I think it was mentioned in Death Masks that among Nickodemus' achievements he had killed several "Saints" separately from the Knights he'd killed and...

Why, oh Why, have I not done a proper search for the term in the books? 

OK, I think I found what you are talking about, in SmF:
“These marks,” he murmured. “Thorned Namshiel’s strangler spell.” His eyes drew a line from the last apparent mark on my neck down to the duster pocket that the bag of coins had been in. “Ah. The strangulation was the distraction. He picked your pocket with one of the other wires before he was incapacitated. He did that to Saint…someone-or-other, in Glasgow in the thirteenth century.”

A quick google search points me to Saint Mungo as a possible suspect
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2017, 07:38:26 PM »
The line I'm remembering was when Harry asked Father Forthill about him in chapter 27 of DM (page 235 of my ebook).  Unfortunately I remembered it wrong and it makes no mention of Saints. 

There's a really long WoJ from WAY back in the day on the LKH forums that on these forums would border on TT for religious reasons.  It goes heavily into his ideas on how faith sponsorship might work in repelling demons/vampires, accounting for different levels and kinds of faith in a higher power.  I think it's highly relevant to the discussion of "what Power," but I'll provide it once I'm done reading everyone else's posts and write my own, which I intend to make thick and meaty.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2017, 10:05:26 PM »
The line I'm remembering was when Harry asked Father Forthill about him in chapter 27 of DM (page 235 of my ebook).  Unfortunately I remembered it wrong and it makes no mention of Saints. 

There's a really long WoJ from WAY back in the day on the LKH forums that on these forums would border on TT for religious reasons.  It goes heavily into his ideas on how faith sponsorship might work in repelling demons/vampires, accounting for different levels and kinds of faith in a higher power.  I think it's highly relevant to the discussion of "what Power," but I'll provide it once I'm done reading everyone else's posts and write my own, which I intend to make thick and meaty.

As I said, "faith," is a huge theme all through the series.. Latest was Harry's belief that if he tossed the hilt of a broken Holy Sword towards the right person something would happen..  He tossed towards Charity, but Butters was there to catch it as it bounced out of her hand and the rest is history..

Yeah, I know this is opening a can of worms, but since Changes Murphy justified keeping the Swords away from Harry as their custodian implying that she had faith and he didn't..  The irony was her lack of faith got one broken and his faith got it mended...

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2017, 02:38:04 AM »
Ok lets do this.

Edit:  The below has been edited to incorporate some of my thoughts from reply #98 below -Serack

I'll open that I agree with Rasins:
Yet we are  trying to apply a label that already has a meaning to something that may or may not be the same.

So I'll specify, the titular question is more accurately, "What is a DF Saint along the lines of a 'champion' that could swing the battle against a Blampire" as mentioned in WoJ.

This assumes that there is a subset of human beings that are related to the real world classification of Catholic "Saints" who were pretty bad ass in a fight against evil.  It also generally assumes that this subset isn't the same thing as a Knight of the Cross since those were listed separately.   

I like wyltok's observation on what could be used as evidence of a living Saint.

We may wish to use a "proof is in the pudding" mentality, and define Saints based on their ability to perform miracles. What separates Miracles from Magic? Magic appears to require some level of aptitude and investment from the one person doing the working. Miracles could potentially be defined as "magic coming from an external source". Of course, we know from magical theory that this would fall under thaumaturgy, that is, magic from a distance, instead of evocation.

Putting it together: a Saint is someone who can act as a thaumaturgic channel for a divine being who chooses to exert their power at a distance.

From that definition, some possible examples come to mind:
- Grave Peril: When Michael burned a Rampire who touched his paladin costume (note that he didn't have a Sword at the time)
- Grave Peril: When both Susan and Michael managed to ignite their crosses with holy fire to repel Mavra (something I'm not sure Susan could have usually managed).
- All sorts of neat stuff that happens to people wielding the swords. I suspect that's more the relics in question acting as thaumaturgic links, rather than the person, though.

Thoughts?

For the fun of it I'll quote (and spoilerize for condensation sake) the relevant passages from GP.  There's also the passage in Small Favor where he lifted Mab's mind wammy from Harry, but I'm not going to go through the trouble to find and type out that one as well.  The GP passages are especially significant since Michael was swordless at the time, and thus any Holy Sponsorship he had was independent of holding an Item of Power.

(click to show/hide)

Back to the concept of "Holy Sponsorship" though. 
I think you are missing one component of saintliness.  The belief in a power greater than yourself.  In a God, or god.  Yes, Harry has great faith in his magic, but he's not treating such belief as an act of faith.  Where as the man (or woman) who is leading a group of people against a black court vampire has that faith.  Much like Charity and Michael.

Sponsorship magic is a term from the DFRPG, holy sponsorship being just one version of it.  The DFRPG "True Believer" template emphasizes that the belief is in something beyond themselves, as Rasins describes for saintliness.  But there is an obscure WoJ that I haven't included in the WoJ section that is highly relevant to this discussion.  It's not there because it's close to TT and at the time it came to my attention, Jim had been making more of a point of holding his personal beliefs private from his fans, and it kinda delves into those a little.  He's been a little more open lately, and I really think this discussion would benefit from sharing it.  However, the context is for the Laura K. Hamilton Anita Blake universe.  I do think that it sheds light on Jim's reasoning behind this subject though.

(click to show/hide)

I think the above demonstrates pretty clearly why the 3 main vampire courts are so differently affected by things like holy water and crucifixes.  Less free will/more evil = more intervention from the "Higher Power" (hear after called "HiP") the faith object ends up invoking.  It also demonstrates a possibility for higher degrees of faith having different degrees of efficacy.  To the level of blasting with holy fire a malicious Rampire who just touches Michael's armor. 

So here is my definition of what differentiates a DF Champion Saint from a potential spectrum of saintly people who may wield HiP sponsorship. 
  • An absolute dedication to their faith in the HiP and absolute dedication of their life towards their saintly mission for the HiP.
  • Demonstrated Sponsorship from a HiP resulting in ass kicking, that is wholly attributed and attributable to the HiP's will channeled through the Champion Saint and their faith.
Soulfire, although initiated by HiP Sponsorship, derives it's fuel from the bearer's own soul, not something external, thus differentiating it from the above definition. 

Interestingly, Sock Puppeted Murphy at Chicken Pizza actually embodies most of the second point, except part of the conduit for the HiP's will is the sword.  However, she doesn't truly meet the first criteria.  *mumbles something about Mira's Murphy opinions*

The Knights other than Michael fall short because the Swords are part of the conduit of the HiP's will, and although I believe their level of power is partially defined by their dedication to their faith in the higher power, the ambiguity of their internally defined target of their faith costs them some level of steadfastness. 

Michael has demonstrated Championship Power independent of the Sword, and absolute dedication to his faith and saintly mission.  Interestingly, according to him, his true mission isn't to slay evil, but to save free willed mortals doing evil from the influence of.... for lack of a better term, "the enemy."  His kick ass capacity is just a facilitation of that true mission. 

Quote from: Skin Game quote that exemplifies this
You are asking me to make a very large choice."
"Yes," Uriel said.
"With potentially horrible consequences."
Uriel looked at him with sympathetic eyes and nodded.
"Can you tell me what is at stake, that I should risk this?"  (Uriel's Grace)
Uriel frowned, considering the question for a moment.  Then he said, "A soul."
Michael raised his eyebrows.  "Oh," he said.  "You should have said that from the beginning."

And on a different note, here are my thoughts on the discussion of Saint Patrick's curse:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 01:33:23 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2017, 05:25:25 AM »
So there is my definition of a DF Saint of Power.  Someone who has incredibly steadfast faith in a "Higher Power."  This person has become a Champion of the Higher Power, and thus they become a channel whereby their power influences the mortal realm, doing holy deeds and miracles. 

We've seen Michael do this, most likely he could do it without holding a Holy Sword.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2017, 05:52:53 AM »

Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2017, 12:16:56 PM »
Serack,

Let me divert to a side question real quick, because this is something that has been bothering me.  In GP Michael did not have possession of the Sword, but all his other normal/familiar Knight perks (divine babysitting service, anti-rampire touch, Power-prayer, etc) were still operating.  So, is this an example of Michael having Power that is independent of his Knighthood, or is this an indication that the Bond between a Knight and his Sword is more lasting that just Not Holding it (or somebody else misusing it)  Does the Sponsorship end at the hilt of the sword?

So there is my definition of a DF Saint of Power.  Someone who has incredibly steadfast faith in a "Higher Power."  This person has become a Champion of the Higher Power, and thus they become a channel whereby their power influences the mortal realm, doing holy deeds and miracles. 
That works for me in the broad strokes, but Im getting tangled up trying to line that up with our examples; depending on your definition of "steadfast faith" that could still apply to most of the poll list.  Does "Channel Power" mean white fire blessings like Michael does occasionally, or just getting a glow out of a cross?  Soulfire?  Does "Steadfast Faith" need to be real Belief like Michael's, or just hopeful cooperation like Shiro, Sanya and Harry?  It is a personal Faith thing, or might ascension to Sainthood be dependent on the supernatural Enemy you face (as the LHK WOJ might imply)?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2017, 01:12:50 PM »
Edit:  Most of this post has been incorporated into my above post outlining my thoughts on the titular question.  Unless you want to see how Quantus' thoughts shaped my articulation of the subject, you can skip this post if you read the above post after made the above edits.  Which was before editing in this comment.

Serack,

Let me divert to a side question real quick, because this is something that has been bothering me.  In GP Michael did not have possession of the Sword, but all his other normal/familiar Knight perks (divine babysitting service, anti-rampire touch, Power-prayer, etc) were still operating.  So, is this an example of Michael having Power that is independent of his Knighthood, or is this an indication that the Bond between a Knight and his Sword is more lasting that just Not Holding it (or somebody else misusing it)  Does the Sponsorship end at the hilt of the sword?

Most likely, Michael is a pretty special case when it comes to Knights.  The sword is powerful, and is a powerful tool he uses to fight evil, but it alone isn't where his power derives from, but his true faith, and his belief in his mission.  Interestingly, according to him, his true mission isn't to slay evil, but to save free willed mortals doing evil from the influence of.... for lack of a better term, "the enemy."  His kick ass capacity is just a facilitation of that true mission. 

Quote from: Skin Game quote that exemplifies this
You are asking me to make a very large choice."
"Yes," Uriel said.
"With potentially horrible consequences."
Uriel looked at him with sympathetic eyes and nodded.
"Can you tell me what is at stake, that I should risk this?"  (Uriel's Grace)
Uriel frowned, considering the question for a moment.  Then he said, "A soul."
Michael raised his eyebrows.  "Oh," he said.  "You should have said that from the beginning."

That works for me in the broad strokes, but Im getting tangled up trying to line that up with our examples; depending on your definition of "steadfast faith" that could still apply to most of the poll list.  Does "Channel Power" mean white fire blessings like Michael does occasionally, or just getting a glow out of a cross?  Soulfire?  Does "Steadfast Faith" need to be real Belief like Michael's, or just hopeful cooperation like Shiro, Sanya and Harry?  It is a personal Faith thing, or might ascension to Sainthood be dependent on the supernatural Enemy you face (as the LHK WOJ might imply)?

Because I limit my definition of the question to power to kick serious ass against evil beings like Blampires via saintliness, glowing evil replant from a symbol isn't sufficient.  The answer changes depending on how you chose to interpret the question, and is limited by our pitiful amount of information on the subject.  I prefer to think that although there might be a spectrum of saintliness, Champion Saints (I think I prefer that to your usage of the Catholic saintly precursors, which usually are applied to those no longer walking among us) are different.  And my thinking boils down to two major differences, which I may edit into my earlier post.
  • An absolute dedication to their faith in the "Higher Power" (hear after called "HiP"*) and absolute dedication of their life towards their saintly mission for the HiP.
  • Demonstrated Sponsorship from a HiP resulting in ass kicking, that is wholly attributed and attributable to the HiP's will channeled through the Champion Saint and their faith.
Soulfire, although initiated by HiP Sponsorship, derives it's fuel from the bearer's own soul, not something external, thus differentiating it from the above definition. 

Interestingly, Sock Puppeted Murphy at Chicken Pizza actually embodies most of the second point, except part of the conduit for the HiP's will is the sword.  However, she doesn't truly meet the first criteria.  *mumbles something about Mira's Murphy opinions*

The Knights other than Michael fall short because the Swords are part of the conduit of the HiP's will, and although I believe their level of power is partially defined by their dedication to their faith in the higher power, the ambiguity of their internally defined target of their faith costs them some level of steadfastness. 

Michael has demonstrated Championship Power independent of the Sword, and absolute dedication to his faith and saintly mission.

*I just want to note that throwing around words with capital letters to refer to something like this, even in the setting of a theory discussion on a fictional setting makes me uncomfortable on multiple levels.  Truncating to an acronym or something makes me much less twitchy, but TWG isn't quite broad enough for this theory IMO. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 01:59:06 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2017, 01:47:08 PM »
We may wish to use a "proof is in the pudding" mentality, and define Saints based on their ability to perform miracles. What separates Miracles from Magic? Magic appears to require some level of aptitude and investment from the one person doing the working. Miracles could potentially be defined as "magic coming from an external source". Of course, we know from magical theory that this would fall under thaumaturgy, that is, magic from a distance, instead of evocation.

Putting it together: a Saint is someone who can act as a thaumaturgic channel for a divine being who chooses to exert their power at a distance.

From that definition, some possible examples come to mind:
- Grave Peril: When Michael burned a Rampire who touched his paladin costume (note that he didn't have a Sword at the time)
- Grave Peril: When both Susan and Michael managed to ignite their crosses with holy fire to repel Mavra (something I'm not sure Susan could have usually managed).
- All sorts of neat stuff that happens to people wielding the swords. I suspect that's more the relics in question acting as thaumaturgic links, rather than the person, though.

Thoughts?

By the way, I also want to say that although I find this line of theorizing very helpful, it bothers me because I can interpret it to mean that Proven Guilty Harry was a Saint of the Summer Court when he used Summer Fire to blow off half of the Winter Well Spring.  Contemplation of Harry channeling Winter power brings up similar issues.  IMO, my first requisite in reply 98 is a must for defining a Champion Saint, in that it requires faith and dedication to the HiP, something Harry lacks in both instances. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 02:02:33 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2017, 04:33:43 PM »
By the way, I also want to say that although I find this line of theorizing very helpful, it bothers me because I can interpret it to mean that Proven Guilty Harry was a Saint of the Summer Court when he used Summer Fire to blow off half of the Winter Well Spring.  Contemplation of Harry channeling Winter power brings up similar issues.  IMO, my first requisite in reply 98 is a must for defining a Champion Saint, in that it requires faith and dedication to the HiP, something Harry lacks in both instances.

Or perhaps we shouldn't using the "saint label" at all?  I also disagree about Harry, he does have faith, that was demonstrated in Storm Front when his pentacle acted like a Cross would against Bianca because for him it is a symbol of his faith in his magic.   Harry is dedicated to that faith..  Not sure what you mean by HiP?  Higher Power? 

Offline wyltok

• Posty McPostington
  • With Great Power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2017, 05:31:05 PM »
  • An absolute dedication to their faith in the "Higher Power" (hear after called "HiP"*) and absolute dedication of their life towards their saintly mission for the HiP.

In my mind, point 1 above could be described, from a strictly technical standpoint, as a person turning themselves into a conduit to thaumaturgic magic, no? Basically, living a righteous life in accordance to a HiP means that the HiP can pour Power into a saint to answer their prayers.

On the one hand, if we compare what sometimes happens to the Knights, where they literally become nothing more than Instruments to a HiP to what Harry did with Summer's Fire, there does appear to be a difference, namely, that it took Dresden making a Choice.

On the other hand, Lily did wind up naming Dresden as an esquire of the Summer Court as a result of his actions, and did promise him that he could call upon them to grant him a Miracle of his choosing...

When contemplating Winter Knighthood, I find it interesting to note that the Mantle only works so long as Dresden follows Winter Law (their Commandments, as it were), and that the more Dresden allows the Mantle to shape his thoughts, the more he dedicates himself to acting in line with the Mantle, the more powerful he becomes. Make of that what you will.
Every time you do something, somebody says: "(gasp!) That has this implication and this implication and that implication!" and you go like: "No, what I really meant was, the curtains were blue."
- Jim Butcher at Space City Con, 2013

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2017, 05:35:19 PM »
Or perhaps we shouldn't using the "saint label" at all?  I also disagree about Harry, he does have faith, that was demonstrated in Storm Front when his pentacle acted like a Cross would against Bianca because for him it is a symbol of his faith in his magic.   Harry is dedicated to that faith..  Not sure what you mean by HiP?  Higher Power?

THIS.

Saint, or saint, implies a faith in a religious manner.  Harry's faith is not in a religious manner.  His use of Summer Fire was not placing faith in summer, and being their champion, it was a tool he picked up and used.

On the other hand, living saints, the kind who lead mobs against monsters have their religious faith AS the source of anything their higher power wants to accomplish.

I would say that Michael, independent of his role as a KotC, is a saint.  The kind who could and would lead a mob.  I believe that Charity is the same, though her faith is a bit more .... grounded, so maybe not.

Applying the label to other situations can apply, but you have to remember that the basic label has to do with religious faith.  So, Harry's use of MAGIC in SK is saint-like, but it was not Saintly.

Did I just muddy the waters more?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2017, 06:04:01 PM »

THIS.

Saint, or saint, implies a faith in a religious manner.  Harry's faith is not in a religious manner.  His use of Summer Fire was not placing faith in summer, and being their champion, it was a tool he picked up and used.

On the other hand, living saints, the kind who lead mobs against monsters have their religious faith AS the source of anything their higher power wants to accomplish.

I would say that Michael, independent of his role as a KotC, is a saint.  The kind who could and would lead a mob.  I believe that Charity is the same, though her faith is a bit more .... grounded, so maybe not.

Applying the label to other situations can apply, but you have to remember that the basic label has to do with religious faith.  So, Harry's use of MAGIC in SK is saint-like, but it was not Saintly.

Did I just muddy the waters more?
I really dont think Charity makes it to the level Id expect.  I know she is able to make a Cross glow, but so was Susan and I dont think anyone really expects her to be a Saint.  If a relative commoner like her can do it, it's not the sort of rare Empowerment that fits the Champion of Man image, at least for me (I hate it when I dont have a b3etter argument than "It doesnt Feel right")
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2017, 06:07:23 PM »
I really dont think Charity makes it to the level Id expect.  I know she is able to make a Cross glow, but so was Susan and I dont think anyone really expects her to be a Saint.  If a relative commoner like her can do it, it's not the sort of rare Empowerment that fits the Champion of Man image, at least for me (I hate it when I dont have a b3etter argument than "It doesnt Feel right")

No, I get it.  And I agree, though Charity has demonstrated her "power" in other places.  In SK when she prays before going to Winter, Harry comments on the power he feels from her simple words.

Now that may not be Saint level power, but it's definitely Saintly.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---