Poll

What is a Saint? (Vote as Many as you think apply)

Other (specify below to be added)
4 (11.4%)
Something that we have not seen yet (speculate below)
8 (22.9%)
Unique Individuals We've met (maybe Michael or Shiro? Specifiy candidate below)
3 (8.6%)
Any active Knight of the Cross (Including our own Patron Saint of Nerds)
1 (2.9%)
Any current or former Knight of the Cross (including Sanya, Michael, and Murphy)
0 (0%)
One Entrusted with Soulfire by Heaven (Like Harry after SmF)
4 (11.4%)
One who Died and Got Better (Like Harry after GS)
0 (0%)
Any true Holy Man (Like Father Forthill)
9 (25.7%)
A Deceased Agent of Heaven (Like Capt Jack)
2 (5.7%)
Anyone sufficiently talented at Faith Magic (comparable to a Wizard)
4 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: What is a Saint? (Series Spoilers)  (Read 42833 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: What is a Saint? (Series Spoilers)
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2017, 06:26:58 PM »
Ya, but people REAALLLLY want to know if Justin is Dead, like Really DED-dead, you know, as it "Ded-DEAD" dead-dead.  That's important too, right? :P

Or how Jim got into writing the Dresden Files...  I mean the story is great but it's explained in I think every one of these things.  Don't they watch youtube?  The story is told over and over and over again.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2017, 06:33:54 PM »
Or how Jim got into writing the Dresden Files...  I mean the story is great but it's explained in I think every one of these things.  Don't they watch youtube?  The story is told over and over and over again.
To be fair, I myself have an irrational aversion to youtube and so rarely look at anything on it; Im being a grumpy old man on this with no conscious reason behind it, and Ive come to accept that.  So I cant get too mad at fans that havent done all the background research before they meet him in a Q&A.  It's a little easier here, where we have the WOJ section to get up to speed, but even here we love to regularly beat dead equines  8) 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2017, 06:34:47 PM »
This could work, lets chase that. 

When first introduced it was mentioned that "Michael didn't come down into the lab with me because the whole concept of using magic without the Almighty behind it didn't sit well with him, regardless of what we'd been through together".  I always thought this was an indication that Michael was entirely familiar with a farm of magic that /was/ more religious (as distinct from Harry views).  Now, when Michael prays to God it's always characterized as being the very simple, humble and direct sort of Prayer, just asking for help without a lot of ostentatious trappings.  And sometimes when he prays like that spectacular things happen. But other times he shouts Latin battle-cries and such to get the effects.  I submit that when he is using Latin phrases to channel power, he is casting a spell using magic words as mental insulation as per usual; it's likely at least as unconscious a process as the Alpha's transformation has supposedly become, but I think it's still Magic (Not sure if it's Life Energy or Faith Energy, or some blending).  By contrast I propose that those times he's prayed in the more simple way in English for a result we are seeing something qualitatively different, arguably the sort of "divine intervention" miracles that Saints are supposed to be able to request from on-high.    Thoughts?
Now here I would disagree with you, I don't think Michael ever "uses magic" or casts a spell.  There are times when his prayers are more dramatic and flashy and times when he's quiet and humble, but I think it's all based on his Faith that TWG is using him as a tool and the response, whatever shape that response comes in, is coming from on high.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2017, 06:38:51 PM »
To be fair, I myself have an irrational aversion to youtube and so rarely look at anything on it; Im being a grumpy old man on this with no conscious reason behind it, and Ive come to accept that.  So I cant get too mad at fans that havent done all the background research before they meet him in a Q&A.  It's a little easier here, where we have the WOJ section to get up to speed, but even here we love to regularly beat dead equines  8)

I guess but as someone who likes new information to see like 25% or more of his time dedicated to stuff he's asked every time it gets annoying.  He's never around my neck of the woods so I can't ask them myself.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2017, 06:45:38 PM »
Now here I would disagree with you, I don't think Michael ever "uses magic" or casts a spell.  There are times when his prayers are more dramatic and flashy and times when he's quiet and humble, but I think it's all based on his Faith that TWG is using him as a tool and the response, whatever shape that response comes in, is coming from on high.

No, he doesn't, ever...  Nor would he ever call such a thing magic, as far as he is concerned he is merely an instrument of the Almighty...  As, by the way, any good saint would say..

As to the curse about the Loop, I imagine that St. Patric would say that it was merely punishment dealt out by the Almighty through him, he, himself had no such power..

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2017, 06:51:41 PM »
No, he doesn't, ever...  Nor would he ever call such a thing magic, as far as he is concerned he is merely an instrument of the Almighty...  As, by the way, any good saint would say..
I wouldnt disagree except for that particular quote, which has always confused me since it seems to very directly and explicitly state otherwise.

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2017, 07:00:14 PM »
When he was at Bianca's ball he used holy magic to harm the Red Court vampires.  He did this without the aid of his Sword.

"Iesu Domine!" (Jesus Dominates... I think)
Michael's voice rang out from beneath the vampires like a brass army bugle, and with a sudden explosion of pressure and unseen force, bodies flew back and up, away from him, flesh ripped and torn from them, hanging in raged, bloodless strips like cloth, showing gleaming, oily black flesh beneath.
"Domine!" Michael shouted, rising slewing gutted vamps off of him like a dog shakes off water
"Lava quod est sordium!" (Cleanse that which is unclean.... I think)

That's how I picture a Saint, except more powerful. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 07:18:14 PM by groinkick »

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2017, 07:24:27 PM »
When he was at Bianca's ball he used holy magic to harm the Red Court vampires.  He did this without the aid of his Sword.

Michael's voice rang out from beneath the vampires like a brass army bugle, and with a sudden explosion of pressure and unseen force, bodies flew back and up, away from him, flesh ripped and torn from them, hanging in raged, bloodless strips like cloth, showing gleaming, oily black flesh beneath.
"Domine!" Michael shouted, rising slewing gutted vamps off of him like a dog shakes off water

See, that's how I picture a magic-user who's brand of magic is committed to the religious model (something I expect Butters to start exploring more and more, since he has both Bob and non of the same prejudice that early Michael did).   

The example of how I picture a Saint comes a little later on.  After all, saints are those that are suppose to have the Ear of Heaven, who can ask for things directly on our behalf. 

(click to show/hide)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2017, 08:28:02 PM »
See, that's how I picture a magic-user who's brand of magic is committed to the religious model (something I expect Butters to start exploring more and more, since he has both Bob and non of the same prejudice that early Michael did).   

The example of how I picture a Saint comes a little later on.  After all, saints are those that are suppose to have the Ear of Heaven, who can ask for things directly on our behalf. 

(click to show/hide)

I seem to remember that Lea took credit for the parting of the smoke and their escape...  But then again she could be working with the Almighty as well..

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2017, 08:36:34 PM »

I seem to remember that Lea took credit for the parting of the smoke and their escape...  But then again she could be working with the Almighty as well..
Indeed she took credit for the parting smoke (fairly directly, too, for a fae) though obviously not the Lay On Hand restarting of Harry's heart after what some have argued was a Deathcurse.  Whether TWG was complicit in that is a matter of theology I suppose, when talking about an agency that works via coincidence most of the time it's hard to delineate.   Easy to say he might have arranged things so that Lea would be able to find them and open the tunnel in the smoke as a response to Michael's Prayer, and hard to disprove. 

(click to show/hide)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2017, 12:52:13 PM »
Indeed she took credit for the parting smoke (fairly directly, too, for a fae) though obviously not the Lay On Hand restarting of Harry's heart after what some have argued was a Deathcurse.  Whether TWG was complicit in that is a matter of theology I suppose, when talking about an agency that works via coincidence most of the time it's hard to delineate.   Easy to say he might have arranged things so that Lea would be able to find them and open the tunnel in the smoke as a response to Michael's Prayer, and hard to disprove. 

(click to show/hide)

Since Mab admits that she works with Uriel at times, well sort of, sometimes they have the same agenda, it could be..

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2017, 12:57:46 PM »
Since Mab admits that she works with Uriel at times, well sort of, sometimes they have the same agenda, it could be..
Not impossible, though I would imagine that colluding with Uriel would involve a little more direct interaction than with The Boss. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2017, 03:45:49 PM »
Not impossible, though I would imagine that colluding with Uriel would involve a little more direct interaction than with The Boss.

Indeed,  supposedly He is the ultimate Boss of both Mab and Uriel..

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2017, 03:52:13 PM »
Indeed,  supposedly He is the ultimate Boss of both Mab and Uriel..
Oh, no not what I meant at all, just meant that Uriel seems to communicate directly (confirmed by Michael) while I dont see TWG bothering to actually communicate anything with her, s/he'd arrange things and omnisciently Know how she would react
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline wyltok

• Posty McPostington
  • With Great Power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2017, 04:27:09 PM »

(click to show/hide)

I'm not 100% certain that it's Michael that's shouting in Latin. Rather, I wouldn't be surprised if he's being moved by TWG, just like we've seen him do with other Knights. In fact, if asked what Michael meant by "[...] the concept of using magic [with] the Almighty behind it", that's exactly how I would define it: allowing yourself to be, for lack of a better term, possessed by TWG or an angel in order to serve as the focus for a Miracle. With that said, it probably comes as no surprise that I find myself thinking more and more that Michael probably is a Saint, given how many Miracles have been channeled through him rather than through the Sword.
Every time you do something, somebody says: "(gasp!) That has this implication and this implication and that implication!" and you go like: "No, what I really meant was, the curtains were blue."
- Jim Butcher at Space City Con, 2013