Author Topic: somethings i can't remember about wards  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Exkramental

• Participant
    • View Profile
somethings i can't remember about wards
« on: May 31, 2017, 11:48:05 PM »
i just can't seem to find it in my books, but.

1. can i cast a ward on "self" and have it follow me. even wards with "mines"

2. with self buffs, how powerfull do you allow the players buff to become with befor paying FP for it.

3. do you limit Ritual casting in anyway, besides of the social aspect  of it. say the players piss of a Necromancer/wizard/evil overlord/heavy metal fan..ect. whats to stop him from just ritual casting "MEGADEATH" (besides a boring story and the social aspect of it) on the players. and lets say he was smart, he could just build a ward beforehand with 9999 shifts build over the years, and he could also hide it.

4. mac-D or burger king? 

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: somethings i can't remember about wards
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 12:23:02 AM »
i just can't seem to find it in my books, but.

1. can i cast a ward on "self" and have it follow me. even wards with "mines"

2. with self buffs, how powerfull do you allow the players buff to become with befor paying FP for it.

3. do you limit Ritual casting in anyway, besides of the social aspect  of it. say the players piss of a Necromancer/wizard/evil overlord/heavy metal fan..ect. whats to stop him from just ritual casting "MEGADEATH" (besides a boring story and the social aspect of it) on the players. and lets say he was smart, he could just build a ward beforehand with 9999 shifts build over the years, and he could also hide it.

4. mac-D or burger king?

4.  BK.  Because everyone wants to be King.
3.  Rituals can (in principle) become megadeath spells.  It's incredibly hard to do it, though.  We see some in the novels (most notably Changes, but there's a pretty impressive one implied near the end of Death Masks, too).  Presume many many stories/adventures worth of play to achieve these!
2.  Buff spells, again, can (at least potentially) become really really REALLY powerful.  Again, it isn't easy, and you'd pay up-front with stories justifying how you goth the necessaries to create such a spell.
1.  I believe wards to be immobile.  You ward a PLACE, not a person.  For a person, use a "shield" (and consult the Block rules).

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 02:32:34 AM »
1. A ward can be placed on a threshold or a doorway or an intersection.  That's it - it's not mobile.  You could create a magic item with a ward on it and carry it around with you.  Then, when you need it, activate it and it would be automatically cast on a threshold/intersection/doorway.  At that point it would be immobile.  You need to use the enchanted item rules for that, though.

2. depends.  I 'quick' ritual is equal to your Lore.  You could have an aspect "aware"  that lasts a couple of scenes and you can tag  it once for free.  You can't put a block on yourself that's mobile, though, since that's a ward.  The aspect could be tagged to help you dodge, though.

If you have time, you can stack as many aspects as you want.  GM will have to decide how to balance it.  How powerful?  see #3

3.  Every ritual requires a link.  If the Evil Wizard has no material link to the target then they cannot affect you with a spell.  Period.  Players should be careful not to leave things lying around when storming evil necromancer's strongholds.

A ward of 9999?  Same as powerful buffs.  Many strong and powerful creatures and wizards will get alerted to that kind of power being drawn.  Frogs start raining from the sky, bizzarre electrical blackouts, Weird visions in people's dreams, strange voices randomly coming out of the radio signals.  When that happens, someone will start looking for you....

4.  Chicken wings and beer

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 01:58:29 AM »
there is the one player made ability called improved wards that would allow you to cast it without a threshold