Klaus Schneider
2 (0.7%)
Thorsen
0 (0%)
Simmons
0 (0%)
Kostikos
0 (0%)
MacFee (doing a passable impersonation of a man)
0 (0%)
The Warden from Bremen
0 (0%)
The Original Merlin
3 (1%)
Montjoy (research trip in the Yucatán)
1 (0.3%)
Binder
0 (0%)
Leonid Kravos
0 (0%)
Victor Sells
1 (0.3%)
Aristedes
0 (0%)
Lucky
0 (0%)
Martha Liberty (doing a passable impersonation of a man)
1 (0.3%)
The Mailman from Storm Front
3 (1%)
Grevane
0 (0%)
Anthony Forthill
1 (0.3%)
Gregory Taggart (because why not)
0 (0%)
Father Paolo
1 (0.3%)
Benson Hagglethorn
0 (0%)
Larry Fowler
1 (0.3%)
Billy Sells
2 (0.7%)
Detective Green
0 (0%)
Nicholas Christian
0 (0%)
Malcolm Dresden
0 (0%)
Greg Beckitt
0 (0%)
Mike the Mechanic
2 (0.7%)
Richard/Rich/Rick/Dick
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 293

Author Topic: Cowl's Identity [FPOTM2 11.2016]  (Read 154267 times)

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Cowl's Identity [FPOTM2 11.2016]
« Reply #150 on: July 21, 2017, 07:20:31 AM »
Im confident Harry would not have still been much of a Good Man if he'd directly killed millions of humans with Magic for a pure Power grab.  It messed him up pretty good to kill /one/, and only with a Knife.  And that's setting aside the uber-dose of Black Magic Taint he'd get that would have him twisting a mustache before he could even grow it.    Jim said Harry could have gone one of three ways, but said nothign about Harry remaining a Good Guy throughout.  Hell, he's rather vague on whether Harry is a Good Guy at any given time, usually defaulting to the fact that Harry /thinks/ he's the good guy (as all the best Villains do).

I would tend to agree that Harry would have lost his sanity by doing something like that, especially since his totally justified killing of slate already made him overly upset.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 21, 2017, 07:37:57 AM »
Quote from: Quantus
  Jim said Harry could have gone one of three ways,
That's interesting as all hell, I've never heard that before... could you point me to a direct source? Not that I don't believe you, just the opposite... I wanna hear or read this verbatim. This would allow me to heavily revise my theories in multiple places.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
  • All hours are midnight now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 21, 2017, 10:53:58 AM »
Sure; watch https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_N-5X2wf8JM and skip to the very end.  The answer to the question about continuity that happens at 56:22 contains this answer. Jim says that Harry could have gone three ways: Dark Hallow, Mab, or the coin, and until he got to that point in writing Jim did not know which of those he would choose.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 21, 2017, 10:58:24 AM »
Woot! thanks. :o the subtitles lol. They were done by Toot Toot!
*Sheep farmers daughter series.... one wonders if this could be the key to whose skull was bob originally in, mmm...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:37:10 AM by jonas »

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 21, 2017, 11:28:50 AM »
Just checking on the Darkhallow on the wiki.

Incidentally, I see no reason you could not do a dark hallow on yourself without doing anything unethical. You would just need to do it somewhere remote where there would not be any innocent people that might get caught in it.

Just go up to like the Northwest Territory or out in a boat on the ocean etc. Then bring with you a load a zombies or something. You could even bring just animal zombies if some some odd reason humans bothered you. You would get less power, but you would still get alot of power. An no one gets killed. You could even use a massive circle or something to make sure the Vortex doesnt grab anything any further out than you desire.

Harry should do this in the books. Hell, he could just go do it like like 9 times. He could sit on demon reach which is sufficiently remote, dark hallow over and over, and then go wipe out Mab. She couldnt even come to the island to stop him!

Muahahahaahahahaha!

OR.

Harry could darkhallow the stuff thats imprisoned in demonreach........heh heh heh heh. Rubs hands together maniacally.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:35:43 AM by Shift8 »

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 21, 2017, 12:16:57 PM »

Incidentally, I see no reason you could not do a dark hallow on yourself without doing anything unethical. You would just need to do it somewhere remote where there would not be any innocent people that might get caught in it.

Just go up to like the Northwest Territory or out in a boat on the ocean etc. Then bring with you a load a zombies or something. You could even bring just animal zombies if some some odd reason humans bothered you. You would get less power, but you would still get alot of power. An no one gets killed. You could even use a massive circle or something to make sure the Vortex doesnt grab anything any further out than you desire.

Harry should do this in the books. Hell, he could just go do it like like 9 times. He could sit on demon reach which is sufficiently remote, dark hallow over and over, and then go wipe out Mab. She couldnt even come to the island to stop him!

Muahahahaahahahaha!

OR.

Harry could darkhallow the stuff thats imprisoned in demonreach........heh heh heh heh. Rubs hands together maniacally.
Best non-Human killing site I can think of is Chitzen Itza.  It's got massive amounts of dense, non-human life in the jungle, it has millennia of accumulated warrior and hunter Ghosts, it's a giant confluence of ley lines, and it's recently been the site of Huge Magics that would errode/weaken the barrier to the next world.  All the critical elements that Chicago had, minus the human population.  Granted I think non-human life is going to be massively less powerful for the same reason that non-human zombies are massively less powerful.  ON the other hand, the ghosts gathered there are a lot older than many of the ghosts they were able to bring to Chicago with that museum exhibit combined with the Erlking. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 21, 2017, 12:21:50 PM »

Muahahahaahahahaha!

OR.

How would he darkhallow himself? If he puts one life into the boiling pot how much energy comes out the other side? One souls worth. Without death, without raw soul/creation to allow change, How would it be darkhallow at all? it'be be comparable to what he did to Kravos, after he expelled all the memetic power, nothing would be left.

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 21, 2017, 12:27:13 PM »
How would he darkhallow himself? If he puts one life into the boiling pot how much energy comes out the other side? One souls worth. Without death, without raw soul/creation to allow change, How would it be darkhallow at all? it'be be comparable to what he did to Kravos, after he expelled all the memetic power, nothing would be left.

Because the darkhallow doesnt just pool energy from human life. See the wiki page.

What do you guys think of dark hallowing the stuff in demon reach. That would have to be a crap ton of power. Dresden could have Sauron levels of power in no time!

Also Quantus, that is a fantastic idea. That would also be a huge amount of power. Geez why dont people get on this already!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 12:30:00 PM by Shift8 »

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 21, 2017, 12:29:32 PM »
Because the darkhallow doesnt just pool energy from human life. See the wiki page.

What do you guys think of dark hallowing the stuff in demon reach. That would have to be a crap ton of power.
That "You are what you eat..."   :-\
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 21, 2017, 12:32:04 PM »
That "You are what you eat..."   :-\

Does it say that though with regards to the dark hallow in the books? Also I cant help but think that Harry's free will probably remain intact. So he might have some new "urges" like with the WK mantle, but nothing to be alarmed about. Also like the WK mantle.

Demon reach Dark Hallow + Itza Dark Hallow + WK Mantle = Mab is screwed.

Maybe alternate harrry already did something like this.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 21, 2017, 12:33:07 PM »

What do you guys think of dark hallowing the stuff in demon reach. That would have to be a crap ton of power.
;D see the wiki page! lol see the woj's, read the books, don't get info through second hand interpretations. See the old thread in the DF reference where how the dark hallow works was explained the best. Per woj, the more who die the greater the power up. As I see it If you combine spirit and soul you get 'life', the essential ingredient in magical power. I could go edit the wiki and then what would you cite? wouldn't be the first time I corrected a Wikipedia error. A lot of interpreted theories end up in the DF wiki as 'fact' though.

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 21, 2017, 12:39:56 PM »
;D see the wiki page! lol see the woj's, read the books, don't get info through second hand interpretations. See the old thread in the DF reference where how the dark hallow works was explained the best. Per woj, the more who die the greater the power up. As I see it If you combine spirit and soul you get 'life', the essential ingredient in magical power. I could go edit the wiki and then what would you cite? wouldn't be the first time I corrected a Wikipedia error. A lot of interpreted theories end up in the DF wiki as 'fact' though.

Your not even refuting the specifics. Quantus also stated the DH would absorb ghosts. Good grief man, if your going to say something is wrong post something specific to counter it.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 21, 2017, 12:43:51 PM »
Your not even refuting the specifics. Quantus also stated the DH would absorb ghosts. Good grief man, if your going to say something is wrong post something specific to counter it.
One soul plus zero souls equals one souls worth of life. Harry ate Kravos's ghost but didn't kept the power because(woj) there was no death involved, no sacrifice or transfer of life power. He could eat all the things in Dr but if theres no life or soul involved, theres no fundamental act of change, of fusion of disparate parts. good grief how many ways do I gotta say it?

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 21, 2017, 12:50:07 PM »
One soul plus zero souls equals one souls worth of life. Harry ate Kravos's ghost but didn't kept the power because(woj) there was no death involved, no sacrifice or transfer of life power. He could eat all the things in Dr but if theres no life or soul involved, theres no fundamental act of change, of fusion of disparate parts. good grief how many ways do I gotta say it?

Considering you didnt spell any of that out before, once is fine.

But Dark hallowing DR would certainly lead to death, of the things in DR. But lets keep this to the other thread.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 21, 2017, 12:51:11 PM »
Does it say that though with regards to the dark hallow in the books? Also I cant help but think that Harry's free will probably remain intact. So he might have some new "urges" like with the WK mantle, but nothing to be alarmed about. Also like the WK mantle.

Demon reach Dark Hallow + Itza Dark Hallow + WK Mantle = Mab is screwed.

Maybe alternate harrry already did something like this.
Fundamental difference, the mantle is made in such a way you can shunt it off of you, a possession or outright fusion with something wouldn't be able to do that with I think.