Klaus Schneider
2 (0.7%)
Thorsen
0 (0%)
Simmons
0 (0%)
Kostikos
0 (0%)
MacFee (doing a passable impersonation of a man)
0 (0%)
The Warden from Bremen
0 (0%)
The Original Merlin
3 (1%)
Montjoy (research trip in the Yucatán)
1 (0.3%)
Binder
0 (0%)
Leonid Kravos
0 (0%)
Victor Sells
1 (0.3%)
Aristedes
0 (0%)
Lucky
0 (0%)
Martha Liberty (doing a passable impersonation of a man)
1 (0.3%)
The Mailman from Storm Front
3 (1%)
Grevane
0 (0%)
Anthony Forthill
1 (0.3%)
Gregory Taggart (because why not)
0 (0%)
Father Paolo
1 (0.3%)
Benson Hagglethorn
0 (0%)
Larry Fowler
1 (0.3%)
Billy Sells
2 (0.7%)
Detective Green
0 (0%)
Nicholas Christian
0 (0%)
Malcolm Dresden
0 (0%)
Greg Beckitt
0 (0%)
Mike the Mechanic
2 (0.7%)
Richard/Rich/Rick/Dick
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 293

Author Topic: Cowl's Identity [FPOTM2 11.2016]  (Read 154246 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Cowl's Identity [FPOTM2 11.2016]
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2017, 02:25:43 PM »
Using surnames for people in the region which you live would be just as bad as using common words.  Even if you don't know a Dorosh when you're learning magic, if you meet someone later, you might inadvertently crush them with a wall of energy when you call out to them on the street.
If harry can safely use is fake-latin and still actually work towards Latin fluency, I really dont think the danger is as absolute as all that. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2017, 02:41:32 PM »
If harry can safely use is fake-latin and still actually work towards Latin fluency, I really dont think the danger is as absolute as all that.
I think there's a big difference between a primary language and a second language that one has to deliberately think about when using, which would likely cause a disconnect of its own between linguistic and magical meanings. 

I'm not saying Harry's use of latin is ideal, but it's not as bad as using your primary language.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2017, 03:20:19 PM »
I think there's a big difference between a primary language and a second language that one has to deliberately think about when using, which would likely cause a disconnect of its own between linguistic and magical meanings. 

I'm not saying Harry's use of latin is ideal, but it's not as bad as using your primary language.
No longer having to "deliberately think about" it was, I thought, the defining trait of "Fluency"?  Granted Im an ignorant single-language American, so I have no first-hand experience. 

But now you are saying that using a language youre fluent in is fine, but using nonsense words that share your primary language's phonetics (aka cultural surnames names) is going to cause all kinds of trouble.  That still feels off to me.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2017, 03:47:13 PM »
One thing we can say for certain is that since Dorosh is not French, its probably LaFortier! ;)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 18, 2017, 04:33:11 PM »
No longer having to "deliberately think about" it was, I thought, the defining trait of "Fluency"?  Granted Im an ignorant single-language American, so I have no first-hand experience. 

But now you are saying that using a language youre fluent in is fine, but using nonsense words that share your primary language's phonetics (aka cultural surnames names) is going to cause all kinds of trouble.  That still feels off to me.
It's not nonsense.  It's a surname used in the region Simon lived.  It's a surname more common on both a global and regional scale than Butters, Peabody, Langtry, Liberty, Luccio, Marcone, and, of course, Dresden

Simon would be more likely to run into a Russian with the surname Dorosh than a German would be to run into a German named Dresden. 

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 18, 2017, 05:39:10 PM »
Using surnames for people in the region which you live would be just as bad as using common words.  Even if you don't know a Dorosh when you're learning magic, if you meet someone later, you might inadvertently crush them with a wall of energy when you call out to them on the street.
FYI Dorosh could be another Japanese word like Kumori. Doroshi means to drop or throw. So Cowl's spell/intention to drop Harry on his ass becomes much more intelligible than his surnaming him to death. Wizards despite using quasi language formats tend to use words or phrases that have some meaning to their intention.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2017, 06:38:23 PM »
It's not nonsense.  It's a surname used in the region Simon lived.  It's a surname more common on both a global and regional scale than Butters, Peabody, Langtry, Liberty, Luccio, Marcone, and, of course, Dresden

Simon would be more likely to run into a Russian with the surname Dorosh than a German would be to run into a German named Dresden.
Regardless, I still dont see why you think that surnames would be a problem while words from an actual language you are fluent in would not. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2017, 09:20:03 PM »
Regardless, I still dont see why you think that surnames would be a problem while words from an actual language you are fluent in would not.
He's not fluent.  It's a language choice made under the tutelage of DuMorne, who had no intention of letting Harry interact with the White Council.  There was no concern for overlap until Harry joined.  It's therefore not the best language for him to use.  But there's still less overlap on a daily basis for obscure Latin than there is regional surnames.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2017, 09:38:38 PM »
He's not fluent.  It's a language choice made under the tutelage of DuMorne, who had no intention of letting Harry interact with the White Council.  There was no concern for overlap until Harry joined.  It's therefore not the best language for him to use.  But there's still less overlap on a daily basis for obscure Latin than there is regional surnames.
He's not fluent only because he chose the incorrect means of learning (damn correspondence course), not for lack of Trying. Which means that, to the best of both Harry and McCoy's Knowledge, it would not have cause him issues. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2017, 10:40:02 PM »
Course if you have any valid solutions it will be ignored in favor of discussing why your problem would be a problem. Kumori means cloudy, Elaine is very clearly more into Odin/Zeus style magic/heritage. So calling someone whom may be related if only by themes cloudy, also makes sense fyi.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 19, 2017, 12:13:20 AM »
He's not fluent only because he chose the incorrect means of learning (damn correspondence course), not for lack of Trying. Which means that, to the best of both Harry and McCoy's Knowledge, it would not have cause him issues.
Because it's a language he doesn't use on a daily basis.  They're words he's not at risk of saying.

A Russian using Russian anything is inherently more dangerous, based on what Harry has said in the books.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 19, 2017, 12:54:17 PM »
Because it's a language he doesn't use on a daily basis.  They're words he's not at risk of saying.

A Russian using Russian anything is inherently more dangerous, based on what Harry has said in the books.
By that logic Harry should be at risk using any words with latin or germanic roots.  I just think you are extending this effect way further than is described or supported. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 19, 2017, 08:59:10 PM »
By that logic Harry should be at risk using any words with latin or germanic roots.  I just think you are extending this effect way further than is described or supported.
In the books, Harry says he and many other wizards use unfamiliar languages to create a buffer that helps the mind of the caster and prevent unintentional castings.

Latin is not the same language as English.

Russian surnames are the same language as Russian.

Ergo...  either Cowl is Simon, and he uses Russian surnames because he doesn't worry about the buffer because he's Russian and in Russia, wizards don't cast spells, spells cast wizards... or Cowl is like many other wizards that don't use a familiar language for their magic.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 19, 2017, 11:40:27 PM »
Or, maybe, he isn't worried about protecting a mind that has already gone crazy.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
  • All hours are midnight now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 20, 2017, 01:19:17 AM »
Hi, I'm new. I've read each Dresden book at minimum six times, and some many, many more. I've also watched every Q&A session Jim had at least twice.

I've basically convinced myself that I know exactly who Cowl is, based off of a ton of hints and logical conclusions through the series. I really want to post it here, but I'm worried that it violates the rule about story ideas. I would hate for Jim to not do this because I went in depth.

Am I being a little neurotic, and is it OK to post in-depth theory?