Klaus Schneider
2 (0.7%)
Thorsen
0 (0%)
Simmons
0 (0%)
Kostikos
0 (0%)
MacFee (doing a passable impersonation of a man)
0 (0%)
The Warden from Bremen
0 (0%)
The Original Merlin
3 (1%)
Montjoy (research trip in the Yucatán)
1 (0.3%)
Binder
0 (0%)
Leonid Kravos
0 (0%)
Victor Sells
1 (0.3%)
Aristedes
0 (0%)
Lucky
0 (0%)
Martha Liberty (doing a passable impersonation of a man)
1 (0.3%)
The Mailman from Storm Front
3 (1%)
Grevane
0 (0%)
Anthony Forthill
1 (0.3%)
Gregory Taggart (because why not)
0 (0%)
Father Paolo
1 (0.3%)
Benson Hagglethorn
0 (0%)
Larry Fowler
1 (0.3%)
Billy Sells
2 (0.7%)
Detective Green
0 (0%)
Nicholas Christian
0 (0%)
Malcolm Dresden
0 (0%)
Greg Beckitt
0 (0%)
Mike the Mechanic
2 (0.7%)
Richard/Rich/Rick/Dick
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 293

Author Topic: Cowl's Identity [FPOTM2 11.2016]  (Read 154290 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Cowl's Identity [FPOTM2 11.2016]
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2017, 08:23:32 PM »
Not having met a MM Harry, I really couldn't say. 
No, I mean did it sound like it could fit a person that was Harry, just not the future of /that/ harry? 

I'm just thinking that we have confirmation that we will see a MM Harry at some point, while a TT harry is still pure speculation, so maybe Cowl will be revealed to be another alternate Timeline Harry Dresden, and the MM book is intended to prime the audience on how that would work so that it doesnt come from nowhere.  But that's admittedly a stretch in multiple directions. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Mbresle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2017, 01:23:46 AM »
Can I throw a new one on the fire?  Cowl is Carlos' mentor and kumori is a fellow trainee of said Master.   For kumori, it's the weird mesh glove similar to Carlos' in WK.  now we need to ask who trained Carlos and is he [carlos] a plant?

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2017, 12:09:14 PM »
Can I throw a new one on the fire?  Cowl is Carlos' mentor and kumori is a fellow trainee of said Master.   For kumori, it's the weird mesh glove similar to Carlos' in WK.  now we need to ask who trained Carlos and is he [carlos] a plant?
Carlos was confirmed to have been one of the brown-robed apprentices in SK, so whomever his mentor is/was, they were on the Council as of then. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Mbresle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2017, 10:23:34 AM »
Carlos was confirmed to have been one of the brown-robed apprentices in SK, so whomever his mentor is/was, they were on the Council as of then.

exactly!

Offline Foxed

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2017, 08:41:22 PM »
I voted Cristos, but a deep reread of Dead Beat has me thinking that, based solely on just that book, Cowl's first named appearance in the series, Cowl must be DuMorne. Jim subtly slides in plenty of information about DuMorne in Dead Beat, and Cowl knows what DuMorne would know, like that Harry has the Word of Kemmler right there in Bob.
My Theory Emporium

Eldest Gruff: Based on what
raidem: TEXT, go find it yourself.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2017, 03:47:41 AM »
I voted Cristos, but a deep reread of Dead Beat has me thinking that, based solely on just that book, Cowl's first named appearance in the series, Cowl must be DuMorne. Jim subtly slides in plenty of information about DuMorne in Dead Beat, and Cowl knows what DuMorne would know, like that Harry has the Word of Kemmler right there in Bob.
My issue with DuMorne, aside from him being dead, is that he'd know just how dangerous Harry was, and the wardens comment would be out of place.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2017, 03:58:37 AM »
My issue with DuMorne, aside from him being dead, is that he'd know just how dangerous Harry was, and the wardens comment would be out of place.
I have my own theories about his 'death' but, I actually read that the opposite. When he attacks harry its with the air of the old master testing out his long lost student. "disappointed, thought you were ready for the big leagues." or something similar. Compare that to anything you can think of with long lost mentor and them wanting to test their student. Only example that directly comes to mind is Stick and Daredevil.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline jamescagney22

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2017, 06:17:06 AM »
It's probably been suggested somewhere before, but I couldn't find it.

Mirror Mirror Harry saves his ass by pulling other Harrys out of their universes and lets them bite the dust for him. It's supposedly a trick he copied from Kemmler, who used it a couple of times. (his Bob might have still had the knowledge and shared it with him)

I was thinking that maybe Cowl is one such Kemmler from another universe. The one who managed to make sure that the trick didn't work this time. Hence his contempt for the loser Kemmler and his lackeys. Despite the fact that he shares most of their hobbies.  He hasn't figured out how to get home yet, or maybe he doesn't want to because he's better off in this universe.

So far I haven't come up with a showstopper for this idea. If you find one, take it apart please  :)
Is this a theory or a WOJ? I always thought Kemmler and by extension Cowl used Necromancy to survive death curses, it would fit the theme of each of Kemmler's apprentices using one of his abilities, and Cowl being the most dangerous chose the most useful ability.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2017, 04:41:49 PM »
Is this a theory or a WOJ? I always thought Kemmler and by extension Cowl used Necromancy to survive death curses, it would fit the theme of each of Kemmler's apprentices using one of his abilities, and Cowl being the most dangerous chose the most useful ability.
To the best of my knowledge it not confirmed anywhere that Kemmler used it, and Im not even sure it was confirmed that MM Harry had done it before.  But I dont recall the details of the original source on those, so I cant say that for certain.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2017, 05:11:24 PM »
To the best of my knowledge it not confirmed anywhere that Kemmler used it, and Im not even sure it was confirmed that MM Harry had done it before.  But I dont recall the details of the original source on those, so I cant say that for certain.
Not sure either, I remember it was quote on MM harry and how he kept doing that. Then people applied the logic of, He learned it from evil Bob, and came out with Kemmler dying multiple times probably included other versions.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2017, 05:29:23 AM »
I'm 99% certain that there was a WoJ stating that MM Harry (-Harry) has summoned other versions of himself previously, and Harry will be the latest.

The rest, about Kemmler doing it, and Bob teaching -Harry how to do it, is just speculation.  Good speculation, but theory nonetheless.

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2017, 07:47:05 AM »
I'm 99% certain that there was a WoJ stating that MM Harry (-Harry) has summoned other versions of himself previously, and Harry will be the latest.

The rest, about Kemmler doing it, and Bob teaching -Harry how to do it, is just speculation.  Good speculation, but theory nonetheless.
I couldn't even find the one about alternate Harry pulling him into his reality to die instead of him. Though it's been mentioned a lot. Here e. g.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23106013-mirror-mirror

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2017, 04:02:38 AM »

Hey, that's what I just said ???

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2017, 06:31:25 AM »
Personally I think cowl is toot-toot after a successful dark hallow. It makes sense.

Toot-Toot could eventually become like the Erlking with enough dark hallows, which would allow him to significantly enhance Za-Lords Guard.

Kumori is therefore resurrected Margaret LeFay, who has teamed up with Toot Toot in the future to ensure that Harry is protected. They would likely be Alternate universe LeFay and Toot-Toot.

Toot-Toot must had succeeded in at least 1 dark hallow when he met Harry. Thats why his voice is so odd, because toot toot is doing a fake deep voice. Its also why he hides his face.

I have suspected since changes that the Erlking has been secretly helping Harry all along, because the Erlking is actually Toot-Toot from a future alternate parallel universe that is assisting the other real toot-toot in achieving his destiny as the protector of Harry. In the other universe Toot-Toot already became the Erlking via Dark Hallow but instead of wiping out the Red Vampires in changes, in the alternate universe it turned out the Suzan was actually a glamoured Fae and instead in wiped out all the Fae in that world. Except Toot-Toot in that universe.

Just before the Fae were wiped out, Toot Toot went back in time and switched universes and landed in the book verse. There is guiding the real toot toot in becoming like him over time. This is actually one of the main reasons Harry has to kill Maeve later, since she was behind the plot to kill all the Fae.

Anyways, Toot Toot is cowl and he needs another Dark hallow to finalize his power.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2017, 01:45:05 PM »
Hey, that's what I just said ???
Indeed.  Griff was supporting you  ;)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/