Klaus Schneider
2 (0.7%)
Thorsen
0 (0%)
Simmons
0 (0%)
Kostikos
0 (0%)
MacFee (doing a passable impersonation of a man)
0 (0%)
The Warden from Bremen
0 (0%)
The Original Merlin
3 (1%)
Montjoy (research trip in the Yucatán)
1 (0.3%)
Binder
0 (0%)
Leonid Kravos
0 (0%)
Victor Sells
1 (0.3%)
Aristedes
0 (0%)
Lucky
0 (0%)
Martha Liberty (doing a passable impersonation of a man)
1 (0.3%)
The Mailman from Storm Front
3 (1%)
Grevane
0 (0%)
Anthony Forthill
1 (0.3%)
Gregory Taggart (because why not)
0 (0%)
Father Paolo
1 (0.3%)
Benson Hagglethorn
0 (0%)
Larry Fowler
1 (0.3%)
Billy Sells
2 (0.7%)
Detective Green
0 (0%)
Nicholas Christian
0 (0%)
Malcolm Dresden
0 (0%)
Greg Beckitt
0 (0%)
Mike the Mechanic
2 (0.7%)
Richard/Rich/Rick/Dick
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 293

Author Topic: Cowl's Identity [FPOTM2 11.2016]  (Read 153295 times)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Cowl's Identity [FPOTM2 11.2016]
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2016, 12:26:07 AM »
I thought using a bastardize version of another language for magic keeps the user sane.But in GP, Harry says burn or something similar during his inferno spell at the party.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline nedserD C B yrraH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2016, 01:29:01 AM »
I'm still thinking Christos with all his mysterious past, political control and enough power to be SC. I think his misguided attempts to stop death put him in the Circle camp with Nico and his attempt to become a saint.
I'm not a Fanboy, I just Squee a lot.

DV Geek Code v1.2 YR9 FR1 BK++ RP JB++ TH ++ WG+ CL+ SW+(B,T,JM) BC+ MC +++(--) SH (Mu++Mo++El+)

Your total Dresden Files purity rating is 53.1%

All scores:
Supernatural Power:75.7%
Social Skills:45.5%
Armed Combat:6.1%
Unarmed Combat:41.8

Offline Wizardofnelson

• Conversationalist
  • I am the tenth man...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2016, 05:15:34 AM »
I thought using a bastardize version of another language for magic keeps the user sane.But in GP, Harry says burn or something similar during his inferno spell at the party.
im not entirely sure that was actually part of the spell or just his own punctuation for the situation, but he does mention the magic flying wild in his body and mind too so idk...
Wizard, noun
Someone who does precise guesswork base on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

All perceiving is also thinking, all reasoning is also intuition, all observation is also invention. - Rudolf Arnheim

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2016, 01:47:17 PM »
Speaking of spells and languages...
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Anubissama

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2016, 04:06:40 PM »
im not entirely sure that was actually part of the spell or just his own punctuation for the situation, but he does mention the magic flying wild in his body and mind too so idk...

He seems to use straight up English in high emotional moments. Burning down the Rampires at Bianca Ball as mentioned and while killing Arianna in Changes he didn't said forzare but "“No one touches my little girl.” to unleash his final spell. Although I have to admit that that was a missed opportunity by Butcher, he should have made Harry kill her by saying "Moo".

For me "dorosh" is a pro-Petrovich argument because it is a modern Russian surname. Classically trained Wizards pick up some very obscure or dead language, (Morgan - classic Greek, DuMorne - ancient Egyptian, Molly - Japanese) and from what we gather they use the proper language. The only occasion where a Wizard bastardized a language is Dresden who uses pseudo-Latin because he can't use normal proper Latin since he uses it in White Council communication.

So a Wizard who uses a bastardized version of a language is exposed to the "proper" form of the language regularly, or uses it. Which means that Cowl knows/uses proper Russian since for his spells he has to bastardize it, hence why for me it a hint that he is Petrovich who had his stronghold Archangel in Russia.
DV Anubissama V1.2 YR5 FR(M) 3 BK++++: RP++++: JB+: TH+++: WG: CL++: SW +(-): BC+: MC+++: SH(Molly)+++++:

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2016, 04:53:35 AM »
I'm still thinking Christos with all his mysterious past, political control and enough power to be SC. I think his misguided attempts to stop death put him in the Circle camp with Nico and his attempt to become a saint.

I'd put money on Nico being against the Circle, not with them.

Offline Wizardofnelson

• Conversationalist
  • I am the tenth man...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2016, 04:56:56 AM »
He seems to use straight up English in high emotional moments. Burning down the Rampires at Bianca Ball as mentioned and while killing Arianna in Changes he didn't said forzare but "“No one touches my little girl.” to unleash his final spell. Although I have to admit that that was a missed opportunity by Butcher, he should have made Harry kill her by saying "Moo".

For me "dorosh" is a pro-Petrovich argument because it is a modern Russian surname. Classically trained Wizards pick up some very obscure or dead language, (Morgan - classic Greek, DuMorne - ancient Egyptian, Molly - Japanese) and from what we gather they use the proper language. The only occasion where a Wizard bastardized a language is Dresden who uses pseudo-Latin because he can't use normal proper Latin since he uses it in White Council communication.

So a Wizard who uses a bastardized version of a language is exposed to the "proper" form of the language regularly, or uses it. Which means that Cowl knows/uses proper Russian since for his spells he has to bastardize it, hence why for me it a hint that he is Petrovich who had his stronghold Archangel in Russia.
i read this as being related to the Japanese doroshi, to throw, overturn. Which considering the actual action of the spell on Harry, makes perfect sense. It didn't kill him, because it was never the intention of the spell, it did toss him on his ass though.
Wizard, noun
Someone who does precise guesswork base on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

All perceiving is also thinking, all reasoning is also intuition, all observation is also invention. - Rudolf Arnheim

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2016, 12:36:30 AM »
I'd put money on Nico being against the Circle, not with them.
I have to agree, and I think that it will force Nick and Harry to work together again, but that will be much harder after SG.

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2016, 06:34:40 PM »
Has anyone pointed out that the assumption for the poll is stated to be Cowl is a mortal practitioner but the choices of the poll include characters that don't fit the description?

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2016, 09:28:20 PM »
Has anyone pointed out that the assumption for the poll is stated to be Cowl is a mortal practitioner but the choices of the poll include characters that don't fit the description?
All of the characters listed are, as far as we know, mortal.

All save one are, as far as we know, human.

All humans have magical potential. 

Magical potential can be masked from wizardly senses, either partially (Elaine masking her power level from Carlos, making him think she was below Council level) or completely (Harry not picking up any sense of Cassius' power when he touched hands with 'Vincent'). 

Ergo, while unlikely, each of the mortals listed have the potential to be more than they seem.

As for the lone non-human option, there'd be riots in the streets if he were not included.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2016, 10:07:22 PM »
Mister could be Cowl if he wanted buts it is beneath him.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Phopah

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2016, 03:55:43 PM »
Even though Bluebeard makes an awfully interesting choice, I went with "an unmet character". I just believe that Cowl is Cowl, nothing more. However, this choice is partially weighted with my annoyance with Jordan's Wheel of Time "who is Black Ajah?" mysteries that plagued that series for me for so long. Subjectively, I just enjoy new characters, not just retreads on previously introduced ones.

Offline CloakedDestiny

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2016, 05:05:17 AM »
Simon feels too easy and convenient in the context of the narrative. But of all the options we can choose from, its hard to ignore him as the most likely. I'm rooting for it being someone we don't already know, but if I have to guess someone...yeah, him.

Offline Foxed

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2016, 12:16:17 AM »
I just can't see the solution being "My God, the person who died over ten years ago!"

That said, if Petrovich comes back into the narrative (for instance, someone thinks they've seen Simon out in the world, the Fomor have something that is distinctly made by Petrovich, etc.), then THAT would confirm it for me.

As of right now, I'll stick with living suspects. Christos is in a good position to have Dresden get to know him better only to then discover he's Cowl.
My Theory Emporium

Eldest Gruff: Based on what
raidem: TEXT, go find it yourself.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2016, 12:28:51 PM »
Cristos is my second place to Simon.
Make Mine Butcher!