Author Topic: Ask a simple Question, get a simple Answer!  (Read 49101 times)

Offline Razgrizi

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a simple Question, get a simple Answer!
« Reply #240 on: February 13, 2017, 04:09:11 PM »
How would you stat the Creeper from Jeepers Creepers? Im wanting to do a one off campaign with my players in between their main storyline.

Offline Razgrizi

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 13, 2017, 09:52:34 PM »
Also, I have a second question.  When a player earns a new level of refresh, are they able to 'drop' a power for another if they want to as they increase from a focused practitioner to a full blown wizard, if they choose to? Essentially a refund for another?

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 13, 2017, 10:11:50 PM »
If it makes sense - yes.

Upgrading by dropping Channeling and buying Evocation is even in the rulebook, as is upgrading the various "building block" powers.

Dropping Claws to buy Inhuman Strength might fly, depending on character theme and how they are described.

Dropping Claws to buy Channeling would not fly at my table.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #243 on: February 13, 2017, 11:16:12 PM »
Evocation replaces channeling and thaumaturgy replaces ritual

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 14, 2017, 01:31:49 AM »
The rules don't say much about replacing Powers in general, outside of upgrades like Channelling -> Evocation.

If I'm running the game, though, you can swap out whatever Powers you want. Not necessarily right away; sometimes it'd strain plausibility for a Power to appear or disappear. But I'll do my best to cooperate with the changes you want to make to your character.

Dunno anything about Jeepers Creepers.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #245 on: February 14, 2017, 01:54:19 AM »
The rules don't say much about replacing Powers in general, outside of upgrades like Channelling -> Evocation.

If I'm running the game, though, you can swap out whatever Powers you want. Not necessarily right away; sometimes it'd strain plausibility for a Power to appear or disappear. But I'll do my best to cooperate with the changes you want to make to your character.

Dunno anything about Jeepers Creepers.
Yeah, it depends on the story -- in one of my games, a character gave up his Denarian coin (losing Hellfire, shapeshifting, healing, etc.) and, over the course of the next in-game year, became a pyromantic (with the logic that using the coin opened up some latent, minor talent) and a werewolf (with the logic that using the coin 'taught' him enough that -- with a lot of tutoring -- he could learn to shift on his own).
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #246 on: February 14, 2017, 01:29:19 PM »
As a player, I try to set up in-game situations that are conducive to refresh changes.  So if I'm going to raise my contacts or change a stunt that allows me to use a different skill for contacts, I tell the GM ahead of time that my character is investing time in that kind of thing. 

So, going from channeling to evocation might require your character to get training or do research in magic or different elements to make the refresh change plausible.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 14, 2017, 01:58:30 PM »
So, going from channeling to evocation might require your character to get training or do research in magic or different elements to make the refresh change plausible.
Bargains.  You should absolutely make an open-ended bargain with something powerful to get the change in skill set.  Those things always work out for the best :P
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Razgrizi

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 14, 2017, 04:11:52 PM »
So, Ive got another simple question.

Im the DM for my group and Im currently working on major players in the Oklahoma region. My players gave me input and I want to surprise them as we go, but so far, Ive come up with this list:

White Court
Native Americans (Skinwalkers I know Q_Q)
Bible Belt

Are there other groups that would be fitting for Oklahoma? Im trying to come up with lots of story material and feel like those hit the big ones but, even then, I cant think of minor ones either.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 14, 2017, 06:28:52 PM »

Im the DM for my group and Im currently working on major players in the Oklahoma region. My players gave me input and I want to surprise them as we go, but so far, Ive come up with this list:

White Court
Bible Belt

Are there other groups that would be fitting for Oklahoma? Im trying to come up with lots of story material and feel like those hit the big ones but, even then, I cant think of minor ones either.
Well, all my family is from Oklahoma, so there are a few ideas.  Not many, because it's an abysmally boring place :P

Dont forget the Fae, especially in Tornado Alley.  There was that mention in BR about how harry did a favor for the Summer Lady involving a rogue Storm Sylph

(click to show/hide)

The other big defining trait of Oklahoma is the oil industry.  There is an oil derrick pumping away in every spare piece of land, and by that I mean there is one in most restaurant parking lots.  So elemental and earth spirits could be cool.  Ancient dinosaur spirits tied to the oil and being disturbed by the fracking.  In particular the recent fracking boom and the apparently associated earthquakes could be some fertile fodder, especially fitting the idea of ancient seals being broken by the recent activity. 

In most other regards Id describe Oklahoma as more of a middle state:  it starts at its southern border as being as much like Texas as you can be without actually being able to claim "Texan", in both landscape and culture, and then it slowly transitions as you go north until it's every bit of what you'd stereotypically expect from Kansas. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 15, 2017, 03:57:45 AM »

White Court
Bible Belt

Some of these urban legends might be good to draw from also.

8 Urban Legends In Oklahoma Will Keep You Awake At Night
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 15, 2017, 01:34:40 PM »
Some of these urban legends might be good to draw from also.

8 Urban Legends In Oklahoma Will Keep You Awake At Night

Nice!  Those are a gold mine!
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Razgrizi

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 15, 2017, 02:47:17 PM »
Nice!  Those are a gold mine!

I am actually using some of those for some campaigns.  I'm using Bigfoot to incorporate our player (whose a Werebear) more into the group by dealing with a pack of them.

The Purple Church I am using in a longterm endgame campaign thatll take a few years as Im looking to make them into followers of Cthulu and wanting to resurrect him!

Offline Razgrizi

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 15, 2017, 03:03:03 PM »
Sorry for all the questions but I had one more simple question!

In the resources, I found this:

MJOLNIR [-3]
Description: Thor's hammer. Enough said.
Musts: You must have an aspect related to your possession of this item.
Skills Affected: Weapons
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. If the wielder is not worthy, Mjolnir becomes too heavy to lift.
[-0] It Is What It Is. A weapon 3 hammer.
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual predicated upon perverting its purpose.
[+2] One-Time Discount. It's a big hammer. Not easy to hide.
[-1] Never Far From Reach. Mjolnir can be thrown as a weapon up to 2 zones away (instead of the standard 1). Upon striking or missing, it returns to its owner's hand on the following exchange. This ability only works when the hammer is thrown. If the hammer caught, stuck, or taken from the bearer the hammer will not magically return.
[-1] True Aim. Mjolnir is a superlative weapon. So long as its bearer is worthy, it provides a +1 bonus to all Weapons rolls.
[-3] The Bigger They Come... Even the World Serpent must fear the impact of Mjolnir. When facing an opponent, the wielder may spend a fate point to ignore all of that opponent's defensive powers and mundane armour for a scene.

In my current longterm story campaign that I am planning, Im planning on a local cult to try to revive Cthulu using a combination of the Necronomicon (at least they think it is), ley lines (I-35/I-40 are the Crossroads of America in Oklahoma) and MJOLNIR as a siphon.  At some point, I am hoping one of my players picks it up. If thats the case, could they continue to upgrade MJOLNIR with new refresh powers? Such as -1 or -2 Lightning Control? Or -2 Flight? Would that be stunts?