Author Topic: Ask a simple Question, get a simple Answer!  (Read 49073 times)

Offline Londo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a simple Question, get a simple Answer!
« Reply #225 on: January 11, 2017, 03:12:48 AM »
I blame Pathfinder; but my group is pretty optimised minded. That's not to say they're not great roleplayers, but they'd like to have a solid mechanical base to run that off.
Thank you for clarifying how power is relevant to certain things like blocks and maneuvers. That always confused me.

My remaining concerns are thus
1) Landmines: as I understand it, you don't need evocation to put evocation abilities into wards. So the Landmine ability could constantly trickle a powerful spell into the ward. My group would definitely start every day making some thaumaturgy wards before heading out (sacrifice a handful chickens etc.). I believe there's a section that says a ward needs concentration so likely you couldn't have multiple of them, but I don't want super powerful landmines to rule the game.
2) Evocation: this is a dense question, but how does one defend with evocation? I know you can create Blocks (shields and stuff) and maintain the spell, but the everyday block mechanic. Is it another Conviction + Discipline roll, and if so does it induce a stress? Or does a spell caster either choose to keep up a block or have to use something else like athletics?

BTW this community is great :)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #226 on: January 11, 2017, 03:22:58 AM »
The thaumaturgy rules are really not engineer-proof. I could cite some rules to explain why putting a landmine on a bullet is not really workable but it'd be beside the point. If a player wants to break thaumaturgy they probably can, and the best answer to ask them politely not to.

To clarify to Londo, you can't put a ward on a moving item.  You could set up a magically enhanced bullet on gun targetied at a door that goes off when a door is open, that would be legit.

You can't magically enhance a bullet to put in your gun and carry it around everywhere with you.  Well, you can...but you use the enchanted item crafting rules.

I blame Pathfinder; but my group is pretty optimised minded. That's not to say they're not great roleplayers, but they'd like to have a solid mechanical base to run that off.
Thank you for clarifying how power is relevant to certain things like blocks and maneuvers. That always confused me.

My remaining concerns are thus
1) Landmines: as I understand it, you don't need evocation to put evocation abilities into wards. So the Landmine ability could constantly trickle a powerful spell into the ward. My group would definitely start every day making some thaumaturgy wards before heading out (sacrifice a handful chickens etc.). I believe there's a section that says a ward needs concentration so likely you couldn't have multiple of them, but I don't want super powerful landmines to rule the game.

This will almost never come into play.  Are they sacrafiicing chickens everyday to protect their home?  Fine.  Let them do that.  In fact, you can assume they have a ward with a wardflame and a warning system and at least one landmine attached to their home at all times.

Will they have one in the abandoned factory that has been taken over by red court vampires?  no, definitely not.  If they want to reinforce the room where they are sleeping, that would take time and maybe they're being harassed by vampires as they're doing it.

If they have to defend their house, just assume they have those defenses and make it part of the adventure.  Maybe they are doing a ritual to prevent some terrible fate for a loved one.  They choose to do that in their ward-protected house.  The ward becomes a plot device and/or mechanic that gives them time to get their ritual off on time.  Assuming they do the ritual properly.  It's a great way to create tension.

edit:  you don't need to concentrate on wards.  They last until sunrise unless you put extra shifts in duration.  So you may only have to kill chickens 1/month.... :)

2) Evocation: this is a dense question, but how does one defend with evocation? I know you can create Blocks (shields and stuff) and maintain the spell, but the everyday block mechanic. Is it another Conviction + Discipline roll, and if so does it induce a stress? Or does a spell caster either choose to keep up a block or have to use something else like athletics?

There's no default defense with evocation.  You could take a stunt that lets you defend with lore.  It would use up a stress to activate it each time...

They could use enchanted items that go off when attacked.  It would be based on their crafting rating and would be considered a block against attacks (or an athletics skill replacement).

There is a house-rule that people use that lets you cast a spell as a 'dodge' action.  It takes a stress and the spell only works for that one attack (not for the full round).

BTW this community is great

thanks, and welcome.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 03:24:30 AM by Taran »

Offline Londo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 11, 2017, 03:38:00 AM »
Awesome. Thx all. That answers all my questions :)
I suppose you could cast a ward on a piece of paper, and lay in it a doorway ;)

I suppose that GM discretion is important and I don't let my group runaway with the rules. I guess that's what's ingrained into 3.5/Pathfinder where you need to optimise to survive.

Thx again, and I hope to become knowledgeable enough to contribute to these forums someday :)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #228 on: January 11, 2017, 03:45:44 AM »
Awesome. Thx all. That answers all my questions :)
I suppose you could cast a ward on a piece of paper, and lay in it a doorway ;)

Wards are pretty specific.  You can cast them on a threshold or on an "intersection or doorway".

So, the paper could be the trigger or link but if you move it, it makes the spell useless.

So, you can't cast the spell on a paper, walk around with it and then place it in a doorway.  You have to cast the spell on the doorway.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 11, 2017, 01:27:09 PM »
Wards are pretty specific.  You can cast them on a threshold or on an "intersection or doorway".

So, the paper could be the trigger or link but if you move it, it makes the spell useless.

So, you can't cast the spell on a paper, walk around with it and then place it in a doorway.  You have to cast the spell on the doorway.
Could the paper not be a single-use spell container like a potion?  Im picturing those traditional Japanese wards that are calligraphy on rice paper and get stuck/glued to the door-jam. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #230 on: January 11, 2017, 02:12:59 PM »
Could the paper not be a single-use spell container like a potion?  Im picturing those traditional Japanese wards that are calligraphy on rice paper and get stuck/glued to the door-jam.

Yes but that would fall under the enchanted item/crafting rules.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 11, 2017, 02:43:08 PM »
Oh, certainly.  I just meant as an alternate path to get mobile, pre-programmed and fueled wards, something you could use in the field without a whole lot of on-site prep-work.  They'd be one-use so once they're deployed they could not be moved without breaking them. 

I could actually see playing a whole character being based off that idea of mobile, off-the-cuff barriers.  Ward charms like that, maybe some varieties of Insta-Circle geared toward specific classes of enemy.  Probably some physically oriented veil-work as well for tangential variety. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #232 on: January 11, 2017, 03:03:59 PM »
There is a house-rule that people use that lets you cast a spell as a 'dodge' action.  It takes a stress and the spell only works for that one attack (not for the full round).
Not a house-rule anymore. The Paranet Papers codify it.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 11, 2017, 04:14:35 PM »

"I cast Explosive Rune this morning"

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #234 on: January 11, 2017, 04:31:26 PM »
"I cast Explosive Rune this morning"

Sure, go for it.  Make it as powerful as you want and do tonnes of declarations to boost complexity, but you can't take it with you.  It sticks to whatever threshold, door or hallway you cast it on.

If you want to do a portable explosive rune then it's crafting which is limited to your Lore.

Oh, certainly.  I just meant as an alternate path to get mobile, pre-programmed and fueled wards, something you could use in the field without a whole lot of on-site prep-work.  They'd be one-use so once they're deployed they could not be moved without breaking them. 

I could actually see playing a whole character being based off that idea of mobile, off-the-cuff barriers.  Ward charms like that, maybe some varieties of Insta-Circle geared toward specific classes of enemy.  Probably some physically oriented veil-work as well for tangential variety. 

If you boost your Lore and have some focus items, you can do a 'quick ritual' anywhere.  It still takes time, but a 7-shift ward is nothing to sneeze at, especially considering that people who attack the ward can have the damage reflected back.

Pre-programmed wards would be enchanted items limited to your Lore.  You take them out, stick them to a door and they function and are immobile once cast. I don't see why not.  It could get pretty powerful, especially if you make a crafter with 10 shift enchanted items but it's still of limited use because they are limited by session and a 10 shift reactive block is almost always going to come up before a 10-shift ward.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 11, 2017, 05:50:40 PM »
If you boost your Lore and have some focus items, you can do a 'quick ritual' anywhere.  It still takes time, but a 7-shift ward is nothing to sneeze at, especially considering that people who attack the ward can have the damage reflected back.

Pre-programmed wards would be enchanted items limited to your Lore.  You take them out, stick them to a door and they function and are immobile once cast. I don't see why not.  It could get pretty powerful, especially if you make a crafter with 10 shift enchanted items but it's still of limited use because they are limited by session and a 10 shift reactive block is almost always going to come up before a 10-shift ward.
Im with you.  I might impose an expensive/rare material component for the higher shift items as an added limiter, just to prevent them from spamming them every session without pause. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Londo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 12, 2017, 08:57:50 AM »
Hey guys. This didn't take long, but I'd like a your interpretation on this. In the Paranet Papers and it's talk of mental fortification (ie. inhuman, supernatural and mythic) the requirements are at least the refresh cost in refinement. Does this mean to qualify for the mythic mental you need only the 6 refinements and then inherit the ability, or is the total refresh cost 12. 12 seems very high.

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 12, 2017, 11:36:27 AM »
It's a prerequisite to purchase, so 12 total (plus the actual spellcasting powers). But remember 2 things:
1) You're talking about Mythic Mental Toughness. This is supposed to be for super-powerful beings and people - I strongly doubt anyone that's not a possible candidate for the Senior Council is meant to have it.
2) You're still getting those refinements, which the Mental Toughness synergizes with. It's not like the refinements are a speedbump of stuff you don't get anything for.

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 11, 2017, 12:50:21 PM »
Hey fellas! I am looking to see if anyone has did a stat build on Chauncey. The crab demon from fool's moon. Mostly to have an idea of how a demon should be built, especially one who makes it his business to barter to those who summon him.

Online Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 11, 2017, 11:04:05 PM »
Page 35 of Our World has some stats for him.