Author Topic: Ask a simple Question, get a simple Answer!  (Read 49088 times)

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a simple Question, get a simple Answer!
« Reply #120 on: October 23, 2016, 07:37:44 PM »
Great examples Dragoonbuster!

A setup like
Code: [Select]
[+2] Human Form: Involuntary Change, covering
 [-1] Cloak of Shadows
 [-2] Inhuman Strength
 [-2] Inhuman Speed
 [-2] Inhuman Toughness
 [-2] Inhuman Recovery
  [+O-3] The Catch: <insert catch here>
is exactly how I meant to suggest it in my first answer. ;)

I would in that case not allow a catch such as "Sunlight", if the Involuntary Change is "At Night" - that would be double dipping. A sun-related material, or as Taran suggests something themed around the Travel aspect of Khonsu would be great!

In general, I'm with Dragoonbuster in that Toughness/Recovery requires a catch, but I can allow another restriction to it instead. This case would actually be a perfect example: Instead of a specific item that bypasses the powers, they're only available at restricted times; Lycanthropes are an example in RAW. Human Form has the benedfit that it also interacts with other powers, something The Catch really can't do. I would however only accept this for the Inhuman levels; Supernatural, Mythic or Physical Immunity are to big to not have an actual catch.

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 23, 2016, 08:42:53 PM »
So, I'd allow this set-up, but your total powers under the catch would still add up to -1, despite the +4.  If the player upgrades to Supernatural Toughness, the +4 bonus would come into play.

That's what I mean by "...modulate the rebate down to +3..." but in hindsight it isn't that clear versus how you said it.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #122 on: October 23, 2016, 08:50:36 PM »
That's what I mean by "...modulate the rebate down to +3..." but in hindsight it isn't that clear versus how you said it.

I reread your post and it's fairly clear.  I guess I skimmed over that part.

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2016, 04:59:09 AM »
Great suggestions and observations, everyone.  Thanks!

Offline Razgrizi

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 25, 2016, 01:37:38 PM »
Hello! I just have 2 simple questions.

1. During my session on Sunday, I had a player cause 12 stress on the Bridge Troll. The stress bar I think only has a stress count of 10. Since he went over, is that an automatic KO? I want to assume no and that they did that for printing sake.

Story: Wizard Brawler went to attack with Fists (+4) and roll +4 and +1 for hitting trolls. Troll defended with Fists and rolled a -3 for a total of +1. In addition to the +7, he had Weapon:5 (due to lots of strength stats) for a grand total of 13 stress hits, or 12 stress points.

2. I will be running a campaign here in the next couple weeks about the Midnight Man, a creepypasta urban legend come true.  Im wanting to let my players take some initiative and figure it out themselves. In the introduction, I was planning on giving them a 'case file.' Beyond fake newspaper clippings, and some clues in each clipping, what else should I include in it?

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 25, 2016, 01:49:25 PM »
1. During my session on Sunday, I had a player cause 12 stress on the Bridge Troll. The stress bar I think only has a stress count of 10. Since he went over, is that an automatic KO? I want to assume no and that they did that for printing sake.

Story: Wizard Brawler went to attack with Fists (+4) and roll +4 and +1 for hitting trolls. Troll defended with Fists and rolled a -3 for a total of +1. In addition to the +7, he had Weapon:5 (due to lots of strength stats) for a grand total of 13 stress hits, or 12 stress points.

You would have done 12 stress to the Troll, but I assume that the troll had Supernatural Toughness (as well as Inhuman Size) which gives him 2 points of armor, so 10 points would get through.  This would mark off his "10 box", but since the other 9 boxes are still open, he is still in the fight. 

At your discretion, the troll could also take consequences.  If said troll had elected to take a Mild Consequence (which offsets 2 stress), he could have done so and only filled in his "8 box".

If the mage brawler had done 13 points or more (11 points after armor), the troll would have to take a consequence, or be taken out.

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 25, 2016, 01:56:55 PM »
Hello! I just have 2 simple questions.

I'm not quite following your math here, but if an attack deals more stress than the highest available stress box, the target has two options. Either become Taken Out, the result of which is decided by the attacker. This can be anything narratively appropriate: death, knocked out, taken prisoner, whatever that has the target no longer a part of the conflict.
The other option, if the target wants to stay in the conflict, is to take one or more Consequences to reduce the stress. If in this case the highest available stress box is the tenth, and they're suffering a 12 stress hit, the troll can take a Minor Consequence to reduce the incoming stress by 2, and take the remaining 10 by checking the last stress box. If instead the troll takes a Moderate Consequence (reducing stress by 4), they instead check the 8th stress box.

Edit: As Shaft points out, if there are 10 stress boxes, there is certainly armor involved from Toughness powers, don't forget those.

Offline Razgrizi

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 25, 2016, 03:51:10 PM »
I'm not quite following your math here, but if an attack deals more stress than the highest available stress box, the target has two options. Either become Taken Out, the result of which is decided by the attacker. This can be anything narratively appropriate: death, knocked out, taken prisoner, whatever that has the target no longer a part of the conflict.
The other option, if the target wants to stay in the conflict, is to take one or more Consequences to reduce the stress. If in this case the highest available stress box is the tenth, and they're suffering a 12 stress hit, the troll can take a Minor Consequence to reduce the incoming stress by 2, and take the remaining 10 by checking the last stress box. If instead the troll takes a Moderate Consequence (reducing stress by 4), they instead check the 8th stress box.

Edit: As Shaft points out, if there are 10 stress boxes, there is certainly armor involved from Toughness powers, don't forget those.

What I meant is, on the sheet I believe, off the top of my head, there is only 10 stress boxes. I wasnt sure if there was a rule where if it exceeded that before consequences and armor, they would automatically be knocked out.

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 25, 2016, 04:53:50 PM »
Can someone take multiple consequences in the same shot? 

Example: A character has only 1 stress box left, but no consequences. He/she takes 6 points of damage.  Can the character break it up and take two consequences concurrently (one Mild and one Moderate) instead of just one Severe consequence?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #129 on: October 25, 2016, 04:54:58 PM »
Can someone take multiple consequences in the same shot? 

Example: A character has only 1 stress box left, but no consequences. He/she takes 6 points of damage.  Can the character break it up and take two consequences concurrently (one Mild and one Moderate) instead of just one Severe consequence?

Yes.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 25, 2016, 10:12:33 PM »
2. I will be running a campaign here in the next couple weeks about the Midnight Man, a creepypasta urban legend come true.  Im wanting to let my players take some initiative and figure it out themselves. In the introduction, I was planning on giving them a 'case file.' Beyond fake newspaper clippings, and some clues in each clipping, what else should I include in it?

How about blog posts from "eyewitnesses"?

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 26, 2016, 12:13:21 PM »
Or go full ghost-facers and film some shaky and poorly lit video of a pseudo-encounter?

Id give them access to some wiki article that gives Midnight Man background lore; if there is an existing one that fits that could work otherwise you may want to edit it to fit your scenario. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #132 on: October 26, 2016, 12:31:07 PM »

I'd include more than just the Midnight Man.  Add little details of the city and any fun details that the characters can explore.  To make it a bit more of a sand-box

When I started a new campaign, I had an entire front page of a newspaper.  In it I had many leads and foreshadowing of various things going on in the city.  Giving the players lots to look into.  Some things had nothing to do with the main plot - they were side-questy stuff or just introduced important characters in the city.

Every Major story-arch, I did a new newspaper.  I did a similar one for a pbp I ran but the campaign never got past the first arch.
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,38321.0.html
As an example.
I had a serial killer who was a phobophage-type villain and I had a First Nations water creature associated with Winter that pulled people under the ice.  Both these appear in the newspaper.  One was a major plot, the other was a side-quest that they I wasn't sure if they'd even get to.  But it gave them the option to take initiative and explore stuff.

A few of the things were character specific.

Or go full ghost-facers and film some shaky and poorly lit video of a pseudo-encounter?

Id give them access to some wiki article that gives Midnight Man background lore; if there is an existing one that fits that could work otherwise you may want to edit it to fit your scenario. 

Add the shaky video to the blog post.  maybe it's something that's circulating around.

Offline Razgrizi

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 26, 2016, 08:38:28 PM »
I have a couple more simple questions:

I havent read the books in a while, but was Oberon or the Autumn Courts ever mentioned? If so, has other people ever used them as stories?

In addition, Im trying to also create a storyline for a voodoo 'Shadow Man' (think Princess and the Frog).  What powers would you recommend?

For both as well, do you have any stories suggestions for either of them? Like something extended?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #134 on: October 26, 2016, 08:42:40 PM »
In addition, Im trying to also create a storyline for a voodoo 'Shadow Man' (think Princess and the Frog).  What powers would you recommend

I found a good website.  Here's a good start for your Shadow man.  Baron Samedi

Edit:
IF you want him as a straight up mortal practitioner, I'd give him sponsored magic with the ability to do transformation at the speed of evocation. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 08:49:55 PM by Taran »