Author Topic: Ask a simple Question, get a simple Answer!  (Read 49648 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a simple Question, get a simple Answer!
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2016, 08:42:02 PM »
can someone like bob cast spells with sponsored magic trait

As far as I know Bob is not a spellcaster. But there's no particular reason that a similar spirit couldn't be one.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2016, 12:15:07 PM »
Bob's definitely done some specific magic tricks, though they all are one the less tangible Spirit side of things, by and large, like controlling host bodies (animate or inanimate) or shielding people from spiritual attacks.  Though he apparently can access the spells laid into magic objects and control/enhance them to some degree, and Evil-bob was able to cast a necromantic attack once, as well manipulate the NN enough to set up defenses to a particular location.  All this to say that there is, I think, a dividing line between what he can do and what is available to a full spellcaster, but Im not sure where that line would fall, and it could likely be different for another spirit like him.

My bigger question with Sponsored Magic would be to wonder what the Sponsor would be getting out of it from a Spirit like that, can such a creature develop the sort of debt that would interest the sponsor, and how would they have to go about repaying it.  It would be complicated for bob, but maybe not as much for a spirit that is not Bound to the skull and the will of it's owner the way bob is.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2016, 02:21:58 PM »
Bob is definitely capable of doing some things, but I'm not sure I'd give him full spellcasting.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2016, 12:38:39 PM »
With supernatural senses, where it says I have a wide range of senses (up to 12) does this mean if I want too I can have senses similar to Daredevil?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2016, 01:28:44 PM »
With supernatural senses, where it says I have a wide range of senses (up to 12) does this mean if I want too I can have senses similar to Daredevil?

I find the description of Supernatural Senses a bit ambiguous.

I'd say that Daredevil has 'echolocation'.   Which, essentially, lets him hear so well he can see.  To me, that's one sense.

hmmm....although, he has a great sense of smell and touch too.

In any case, yes, you can have senses like Daredevil which let him automatically see through mundane disguises, recognize people, chemicals etc...

You should be careful though because the things he can do are pretty powerful...like detecting lies by listening to people's heart-rates.  I'm not sure how I'd adjudicate that.  But it'd be one of the 12 senses.

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2016, 01:43:44 PM »

You should be careful though because the things he can do are pretty powerful...like detecting lies by listening to people's heart-rates.  I'm not sure how I'd adjudicate that.  But it'd be one of the 12 senses.
A Trapping of the Empathy skill dependent on whether or not the target was a beating heart?
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #96 on: October 12, 2016, 01:56:52 PM »
A Trapping of the Empathy skill dependent on whether or not the target was a beating heart?

Or letting you detect lies with Alertness instead of Empathy?  Is that how supernatural senses works?

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2016, 02:24:26 PM »
I find the description of Supernatural Senses a bit ambiguous.

I'd say that Daredevil has 'echolocation'.   Which, essentially, lets him hear so well he can see.  To me, that's one sense.

hmmm....although, he has a great sense of smell and touch too.
fwiw, in the Nextflix show version, it's described as all his other senses working together and giving him a more unified 3d perception based on sound but also smell and the touch of air currents and whatnot, so they at least played it as broader in source than pure echolocation.  That approach especially makes sense if we are talking about some supernatural predator or other PC that could be expected to incorporate other senses like Smell naturally into their survival strategy. 

In any case, yes, you can have senses like Daredevil which let him automatically see through mundane disguises, recognize people, chemicals etc...

Or letting you detect lies with Alertness instead of Empathy?  Is that how supernatural senses works?
That would make sense to me. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2016, 02:52:07 PM »
Would something like this be able to bypass glamors and or stealth?

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 12, 2016, 02:55:28 PM »
Would something like this be able to bypass glamors and or stealth?
I'd say it depends on the quality of Glamor and/or stealth.  A glamour or stealth ability that incorporated all senses, or worked by mental manipulation, would probably function against it.  But if it were all visual this ability might get around it. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2016, 03:14:18 PM »
You might be able to pierce something like human guise because I imagine a ghoul's metabolism is different than a humans.   Or realize a black court vampire isn't a regular human since they don't have a heart beat. 

An illusion probably wouldn't work but greater glamour would.

Regular stealth that relies on darkness definitely would t work.  Even stealth that uses cover would be useless since you could hear them or smell them.  If they can, somehow, work around those other senses, then it would be fine. 

Regarding veils:  a block is a block is a block.  It would cover all senses.  But a Mage with "illusionist" as an aspect could receive a compel to say their veil doesn't cover smell or sound thus allowing daredevil to spot them.   So those would be on a case per case situation. 

Offline Anubissama

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2016, 11:16:47 AM »
Can you make a Black Court PC?

All there powers seem to be in the Rule Book (Living Dead, Spider Walk, Supernatural Sense,Cloak of Shadows, Domination, Feeding Dependency etc.), and there are Red Court Infected and White Court Virgin template, seems the only thing keeping you from making a PC is the technicality that there is no middle-stage that you could call "human" and with Free Will.
DV Anubissama V1.2 YR5 FR(M) 3 BK++++: RP++++: JB+: TH+++: WG: CL++: SW +(-): BC+: MC+++: SH(Molly)+++++:

Offline khadgar4606

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2016, 03:04:03 PM »
small question lets say harry mixes soulfire and hellfire in same spell to attack bad guy of the book. what happens they fizzle each other or somehow harry learns how to create universe

for experiment harry has lash(lashciel's shadow ) with him

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2016, 04:05:35 PM »
small question lets say harry mixes soulfire and hellfire in same spell to attack bad guy of the book. what happens they fizzle each other or somehow harry learns how to create universe

for experiment harry has lash(lashciel's shadow ) with him

If I understand it correctly (based on an old WoJ) then you can't mix them. They are 2 sides of the same coin, and only one type can be used at the same time. Besides, Harry does no longer have access to Hellfire.

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2016, 04:52:23 PM »
How does one get around a white court vampire's incite emotion ability? An how can one protect themselves from such a potent ability?