Author Topic: Ask a simple Question, get a simple Answer!  (Read 48842 times)

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a simple Question, get a simple Answer!
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2016, 04:23:30 PM »
My past interpretation of skill rolls is that you only get ONE reroll attempt and that's that.  Any further expenditure of FP's only results in additional adds to the 2nd roll, going by the YS example of Mouse's Stealth attempt.  Correct?
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2016, 04:50:38 PM »
I usually let people reroll as often as they like. They usually don't want to reroll more often than once, because a +2 is a safe bet and if they have enough points left to spend, they'd rather do that. But I don't think there's a rule against it. As long as you can invoke enough additional aspects, you should be fine.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2016, 04:56:40 PM »
Yeah, I'd allow multiple re rolls as long as they have multiple aspects they can invoke.  You can't just invoke the same aspect over and over. 

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2016, 02:27:31 AM »
If I wanted to build a feet in the water version of Jared Kincaid, how would it be done?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2016, 02:48:33 AM »
That's probably not a simple question

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2016, 05:21:28 AM »
Ahh, sorry. New question, what did they mean by water being able to ground out magic? As in if a house was surrounded by water, like a moat or something of that sort. If someone were to cast a spell, does that mean it will not work?

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2016, 07:04:47 AM »
If I wanted to build a feet in the water version of Jared Kincaid, how would it be done?

Jr Kincaid aka “The Hellpuppy”

High Concept: Inhuman Mercenary
Trouble: The Job Comes First
Other Aspects: The Hellpuppy; As Human As You Are; Technology Is The Great Equalizer

Powers:
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
Inhuman Recovery [-2]
The Catch: Cold Iron, Silver and Holy Items [+3]

Stunts:
Target-Rich Environment (Guns): +1 to attacks with Guns whenever personally outnumbered in a firefight.

Occultist (Magical Countermeasures) (Lore): Kincaid gains a +2 to Lore rolls made involving his knowledge of magical defenses & countermeasures.

Skills:
Great (+4): Athletics (5 w/ Inhuman Spd, Guns (5 if outnumbered)

Good (+3): Fists, Stealth

Fair (+2): Alertness (Initiative 6), Lore (Magical Defenses and Countermeasures 4)

Average (+1): Conviction, Endurance, Intimidation, Might

Stress: Physical OOO[OO] Armor 1, Mental OOO, Social OO

Total Refresh: 6
Spent Refresh: -5
Leftover Refresh: 1
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 01:14:13 PM by Shaft »

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2016, 11:46:49 AM »
The writeup is super helpful, thank you so much and can you please tell me how do I determine how much refresh do I get from my catch? I need to show my dm as proof because quite frankly he is a hard ass. Example, he tried to tell me that the catch: cold iron is probably only 2 refresh. Where I have seen on this forum that people usually get +3 refresh, I even saw in book 2 that some creatures got +3. Which is confusing because Book one is not the most clearest material in the world. Or if its only 2 then I can live with that.

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2016, 01:57:35 PM »
    ...can you please tell me how do I determine how much refresh do I get from my catch? I need to show my dm as proof because quite frankly he is a hard ass. Example, he tried to tell me that the catch: cold iron is probably only 2 refresh. Where I have seen on this forum that people usually get +3 refresh, I even saw in book 2 that some creatures got +3. Which is confusing because Book one is not the most clearest material in the world. Or if its only 2 then I can live with that.

Start with a value of 0.

Part 1: How common is the Catch?

• If the Catch is bypassed by something that anyone could reasonably get access to, but doesn't always have on them, you get +2. Example: Fire, Cold Iron, Metal, Salt, Wooden stakes to the heart, Wolfsbane, Silver, regular bullets, Sunlight, a specific hit location like the head, the heart or the heel.
    • If it is bypassed by something that only a rare class of people have, it's only +1. Example: True Faith, True Magic, Summer or Winter Magic, Inherited Silver, Anti-Matter, Kryptonite, Admantium, knowledge of a spirit's True Name, Holy Items (assuming that Holy Items can only be created by people with some kind of True Faith).
    • If it is bypassed by something that very people could produce, it's +0.  Example: A Sword of the Cross, The One Ring, Athena's Bow, Captain America's Shield
    • If your catch ONLY protects you versus something specific, add an extra +2 to the value above (example: only versus fire, only versus cold, only versus poison, only vs blunt HtH attacks, etc...)

Part 2: How easy is it to research the Catch? (this value stacks with part 1)

• If anyone can find out about it (Example: it is common knowledge that vampires can be killed with a stake to the heart or sunlight; it is common knowledge that Fae are vulnerable to cold iron), you get +2 in addition to the value from how common it is.
    • If it requires specific knowledge that might only be found in obscure texts or a wizard's library, you only get +1 in addition to the value for how common it is.  (Example: Harry had to speak to Bob to find that Loup Garou's are only vulnerable to Inherited Silver, or you might need to consult a specific occult text to find a spirit's True Name, etc...
    • If the vulnerability can only be deduced from personal knowledge, the bonus is +0 in addition to the value for how common it is (Example: No one ever knew that the Noose that Nicodemus wears could be used to attack him, until Harry made a lucky guess).

If there are multiple vulnerabilities, I use the values for the most common and easiest to learn (example: Vampires are vulnerable to Sunlight (common), True Faith/Holy Items (rare), Fire (common), and stakes to the heart (common).  This is common knowledge.  This would be worth 4 in my opinion.

Remember that a Catch can only reduce the combined cost of Toughness and Recovery to one, so if you have a Red Court with Inhuman Toughness and Inhuman Recovery, but the vulnerabilities listed above, those vulnerabilities would only reduce the cost by 3 points instead of 4. 

Some of the values may differ from game to game.  If you can buy a rosary from a church gift shop and it is treated as a holy object, it makes holy items more common, for example (in my game holy water and other "casual" blessings only makes an item stay holy until sundown or sunrise, but something that is built with a more powerful faith ritual by someone with True Faith can retain the Holy trait).  If your campaign takes place in a city with a silver mine nearby, maybe silver is easily available, and inherited silver might be more common.

I hope this helps.[/list][/list]
    « Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 06:51:13 PM by Shaft »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
      • View Profile
      • Chip
    « Reply #69 on: September 18, 2016, 04:58:37 PM »
    Nice Shaft, you covered everything very clearly.

I just wanted to point this out:

If the vulnerability can only be deduced from personal knowledge, the bonus is +2 in addition to the value for how common it is (Example: No one ever knew that the Noose that Nicodemus wears could be used to attack him, until Harry made a lucky guess).

Do you mean +0?

Quote from: ghostfreak
    New question, what did they mean by water being able to ground out magic? As in if a house was surrounded by water, like a moat or something of that sort. If someone were to cast a spell, does that mean it will not work?

I think you can just assign it a threshold value like you would for a house.  Maybe spells passing over and monsters passing through it are weakened.

I'm not sure if you have to be physically in the water, though, or if having the body of water present does anything.

You could also use it as an aspect, like the 'broken water pipe' example they use in YS.
    « Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 05:04:54 PM by Taran »

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
      • View Profile
    « Reply #70 on: September 18, 2016, 06:52:12 PM »
    Nice Shaft, you covered everything very clearly... I just wanted to point this out: Do you mean +0?

Thanks.  I corrected this in the original.

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
      • View Profile
    « Reply #71 on: September 18, 2016, 10:03:48 PM »
    Thank you very much for making it clear for me. Now to print this out and hand it to my dm.

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
      • View Profile
    « Reply #72 on: September 21, 2016, 11:00:36 PM »
    The tracing ability that Sanctaphrax managed to narrow down perfectly. The one where you can basically create your own weapons and the like. If I was to use it to make a sword and kill someone with it, does that count as me breaking the laws of magic or no?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
      • View Profile
      • Chip
    « Reply #73 on: September 22, 2016, 03:04:28 AM »
    Only if you are modelling it as spellcasting. 

Let's say you are playing a wizard who is super good at summoning.  You summon something that kills someone, (like dropping an anvil on their head - although I'm not sure that's possible with tracing -  it's probably lawbreaking.

But, if you are a wizard who summons mundane weapons that they then use to hack people to bits, then probably not lawbreaking. 

If you are a super hero with an innate ability to conjure knives of force, then no lawbreaking because it's not spellcasting at all.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
    • Seriously?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #74 on: September 22, 2016, 05:27:02 AM »
    Tracing isn't a spellcasting Power, so the Lawbreaker Power isn't appropriate. By default, I wouldn't expect the Laws to apply at all. But if you and your GM want to use Aspect-based corruption with Tracing Lawbreaking (a rhyme!) then that ought to work nicely. At least for the First Law; hard to see how you could break the others with Tracing.