Author Topic: Sponsored Magic Question  (Read 2441 times)

Offline rientelfon

• Participant
    • View Profile
Sponsored Magic Question
« on: August 15, 2016, 10:49:47 PM »
Hey everyone,

So, I have a player that has an Item of Power that grants him Sponsored Magic (-4). The Sponsor is a Goddess of Chaos, Bad Luck (Eris from Greek Mythology) and the character states that with this item he can cast any element of magic from thaumaturgy and evocation that he wants so long as it is related to the Sponsored Magic Theme. From my understanding, the Sponsored Magic only grants 1 type of Element and 1 type of Thaumaturgy much like if the character had taken Channeling and Ritual, but it has the benefit of boosting other/similar types of magic should you have the ability to use them. Who is right or how do you interpret the rules?

Thanks in advance!  8)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Sponsored Magic Question
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 11:53:31 PM »
You get one element, the sponsor's element. Often this is quite broad, and contains bits and pieces of other elements. Most fire and wood spells can be cast with Summer Magic, for example.

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 01:14:57 PM »
If a caster with ONLY Sp.Ma. can have enchanted items, must they be related to the Sponsor's element or can they be more "generic" such as a force ring when Sponsor's element is Fire?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 05:22:05 PM by blackstaff67 »
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Theogony_IX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 05:55:06 PM »
I would say no, enchanted items must also fit within the sponsors realm of effect.

Offline SerGalahad

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 06:23:50 PM »
I'm still new to the game, but I'm playing an Emissary of Power who's grandmother is actually a high ranking Sidhe of Summer & she granted him Seelie Magic. I figured that the 4 focus item slots that you get with paying the full price for Sponsored Magic at -4 Refresh would work really great if most of the slots were broken down into Enchanted Item slots; my character didn't make these items, they were all gifts from his faerie grandmother to make sure he was protected. I've got an anklet of speed, faerie-stitched jacket, & Summer's fire ring.

As far as the element, my character has no other spellcasting ability, so I see "Summer" as the only element that I can cast, which does borrow from the others. Gives me a bit of broad usage within a narrowly defined context. Every time I use my magic, it has to match Summer's themes of wildness, birth, growth, renewal, & warmth. Plus, with Summer's magic, you can do some cool biomancy healing effects with the speed of evocation. I would think that the "element" gained by having Sponsored Magic would really have to be related to the Sponsor who gave it.
"Dewey you fool, your decimal system has played right into my hands!"
- Giant Brain in Futurama

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 06:25:27 PM »
I would say no, enchanted items must also fit within the sponsors realm of effect.
Agreed.

Though keep in mind that you usually have a sponsor theme rather than a single element. That can usually cover a lot more, so you should usually find something that fits whatever you want to do.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 04:20:51 AM »
Think I got the hang of it--gonna work on making some theme-specific(?) enchanted items...which is going to be a first for me.

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 03:43:25 AM »
I am made to understand that full Evocation offers a +1 bonus to either Power or Control while neither Channeling nor Sponsored Magic does not.  Is this correct?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 05:08:15 AM »
Yes. Not power or control in general, though, only for one element.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 01:44:59 PM »
It's an interesting idea though:  What sorts of things would fall into the Theme of a Goddess of Chaos? The first that comes to mind would be Entropy Curses, as the most literal example of Bad Luck Magic.  A certain degree of targeted probability manipulation could fit depending on the use and context.  Some basic illusion magic would probably work, again depending on the usage.  Maybe even actual Water/Entropy Magic like Carlos uses, under the guise of Chaos in the greek sense of the primordial protocreation, you'd be returning the matter to a more base state.  That's probably the most overt/energy attack sort of application I can think of.

You could also embrace the duality of Eris as described in the hesiod, where they were actually two sisters.  One was the more traditional spiteful sort, while the other was more benevolent and all about stiring up the stagnant and/or lazy to greater achievement.  I could see some mental manipulation in that side of things. 

Any other directions you can think of?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain