Author Topic: "F=m*a" Custom Stunt/Power  (Read 2071 times)

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
"F=m*a" Custom Stunt/Power
« on: August 10, 2016, 07:00:33 AM »
A common complaint in the DFRPG is that some feel that Speed powers should help you hit you opponent with Attacks. Some GMs allow that stunts that move Brawling from Fists to Athletics let you include your Speed bonuses in your attacks. I don't; Speed is good enough as it is and, like Strength, becomes overpowered when you allow it to add to to-strike rolls. To mimic the increased ability to strike with Athletic you maneuver over and over with Athletics, then tag your built-up advantage for a big single Attack. Anyhoo:

A good compromise (IMO) between these two extremes came about from a player of mine; I don't believe he frequents this forum or I'd mention him by username. The -1 Refresh cost custom stunt/power (depending on your PoV) is as follows:

F=m*a: Can add speed bonus to the weapon damage physical attacks, including incite effect. Does not stack with Strength powers.

We're capitalizing here on the fact that super-speed means super-acceleration of your punches as well--anyone who is a fan of the Flash knows this :D The non-stacking with Strength powers was a balance choice for our game, but you can drop that if you please.

So far, it seems to be working out pretty well. If you like it, take it for your own use. If you don't, thanks for your time.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: "F=m*a" Custom Stunt/Power
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 01:09:16 PM »
I like how it doesn't add to accuracy and I like that it doesn't stack with strength. 

A fun add would have it do an equal amount of stress to the character with this power.  Having a toughness power would negate that damage, of course.  But it would reflect that punching someone wih super speed hurts.  But it's not necessary.  It just made me think of it. 

You could maybe have an upgrade that let's it stack with strength. 

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 06:03:51 PM »
I'm reminded of the time I tried to build Tachyon from Sentinels of the Multiverse in DFRPG. I mostly ended up reskinning the Supernatural Martial Arts power, but I was proud of this stunt:

Move faster, hit better: Athletics modifies Fists attack rolls by +1 when sprinting between zones as a supplemental action.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 06:38:08 PM »
Most of the time, you can probably just get away with taking claws and calling it something like "flurry of fists". The stunt proposed probably works as well.

If you really want the out and about flash version of superspeed, just take the stealth part of the speed powers and replace it with the additional stress from strength. Yes, that'll make it a custom power, but it should still work rather nicely. And if you want to go for a kaboom kind of character, stealth will probably not be what you want to do anyway.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 10:14:18 PM »
Most of the time, you can probably just get away with taking claws and calling it something like "flurry of fists". The stunt proposed probably works as well.

If you really want the out and about flash version of superspeed, just take the stealth part of the speed powers and replace it with the additional stress from strength. Yes, that'll make it a custom power, but it should still work rather nicely. And if you want to go for a kaboom kind of character, stealth will probably not be what you want to do anyway.

I do that too :) Alternatively, Incite Lasting Limited Effect: Super Speed. You can easily justify adding Ranged and Selective Area attacks to it, which is nice.

I like your alternate Speed idea. I might have to play with that a bit. It might be a bit too much above Inhuman, though.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge