Author Topic: Intro Game Setting  (Read 1711 times)

Offline lankyogre

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Intro Game Setting
« on: April 21, 2016, 10:53:41 AM »
I've ran the DFRPG one-shots a few times and I'd like to add to my library by writing a few more.
Night Fears is Feet in the Water and very location limited
Neutral Grounds is Waist Deep and a very unlimited location
Evil Acts is Chest Deep and moderately limited by location

I'd like to add another Feet in the Water and a Waist Deep scenario.

For the Feet in the Water scenario, I was thinking a group of friends camping. Therefore the location is moderately limited. Some items go missing from their campsite and they choose to investigate. The campsite owners are a family of shape shifters that can take animal forms. The daughter has just discovered that she can do it to, and is playing around like a precocious child. Confronting the parents could lead to a social "conflict" in which they try to convince them to admit what the daughter did and make it right. The conflict could turn physical if the parents really feel threatened though. The PCs have some motivation not to just punch their way out of the problem though, since it involves a little kid. I might even throw in a red herring in the form of an unrelated group of siblings with some sort of scion blood. Maybe part demon or part troll. Give them Inhuman toughness and inhuman strength if I think that we absolutely need a combat scene.

The Waist Deep scenario, i was thinking of using a vacation bus. The group is all on a guided tour of some site and therefore have to be there for a few hours. I haven't quite thought of what would be good for this. I was thinking something like the St. Louis Arch or another singular building that I can limit to less than a dozen rooms. On this one, I don't know if I want to make the PCs know each other or have the first scene essentially be a compel on various aspects to get them to the same spot. As a problem, I was thinking that somebody is trying to summon something. Going back to the Arch idea, they are trying to us the Arch itself as a gate. If I used a different location like a museum or old building, then he might be summoning something with a tie to that building. If the PCs ignore it, the creature is summoned, eats the summoner, and goes back to the Nevernever. If they disrupt the summoning somehow, then the thing (possibly a demon?) is let loose in the middle of a crowded tourist site. If they confront the summoner and just prevent him from doing it, he tries again later. If they manage to convince him it's a bad idea or permanently prevent him, then it doesn't happen at all.

Just like some feedback please. Usually I bounce ideas off my wife, but she'd like to play this time around. Incidentally, that's why I can't use some of the other adventures.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Intro Game Setting
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 04:13:19 AM »
The first sounds fun, but I'd be worried about it dead-ending. What if they chase a red herring the whole time? What if they figure it out right away and solve it all within half an hour? So if I were you I'd make the "red herring" a legitimate issue.

For the second, I'd recommend having them know each other in advance. Otherwise it'd be a bit weird for a bunch of people weird enough to be PCs to randomly be on the same tour. Also, I wouldn't have an ignored summoning resolve itself by the creature leaving. Don't want to reward doing nothing.

Might be interesting to give some of the PCs an interest in preserving the secrecy of magic, which is likely to be disrupted terribly by such a public incident.

PS: If you want to see more adventures, there are some here.

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 04:26:16 AM »
This is just my opinion, but it seems to me that these scenarios are too nice.  It doesn't feel like there's enough of a threat to compel the players.

The shapeshifters in your first scenario aren't really doing anything evil.  At the end of  the day, it's a little kid who happens to have powers who is shoplifting some camping gear.  I think these would be a great red herring for something more sinister happening behind the scenes.  Maybe if you have it that a powerful object like an idol is stolen inadvertently by the kid shapeshifter from cultists who were planning on using the stolen object in a forest ritual? The cultists pass themselves off as normal, yet aware mortals, who persuade the players to help them retrieve the object from the "evil" shapeshifters (that will probably use it for the evil ritual that the cultists were going to us it for in the first place; the sacrifice of the shapeshifters will add power to the ritual.   The players find out the truth and find themselves having to rescue the shapeshifters.  At the end, perhaps the shapeshifters make the PCs honorary members of their tribe if they are rescued.

For the waist deep scenario, don't send the creature back to the NeverNever if the players don't do anything.  Make sending it back the goal of the encounter.  Also, the St Louis Arch is pretty big, so you can summon something the size of Godzilla if you want (give him Predator style cloaking/invisibility as well so that the destruction gets explained as an earthquake).  Godzilla tries to hide and leace the city, but he leaves a trail of destruction in his wake.  The players know that something is wrong, and are told they have to stop Invisible Godzilla, so they set about tracking him down outside the city.  They go to a museum and they come across an artifact that allows them to See the Invisible (or have access to an enchanted object or potions or the like).  The summoner's goal was to control Godzilla, but things didn't go as planned, so he tries again, and ends up summoning something that is Mothra-sized comes through. This time he gains control, and sends Mothra after Godzilla to control Godzilla as well.  Godzilla and Mothra meet.  Let them fight...  Let them fight!  The players have to contain the damage, find the artifacts that let them see the Invisible monsters, find the summoner, take scroll that controls Mothra and opened the gate in hopes of banishing the creatures and closing it.  Along the way, one or two allies from the NeverNever might get involved, but if they try and take the lead in banishing the creatures, they are killed or incapacitated.  However, they provide tools and equipment that the players can use.  Eventually, the players realize that Godzilla just wants to be left alone and return to the NeverNever.  They have to find way to banish Mothra, and return Godzilla safely. 

Offline lankyogre

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 10:20:47 AM »
For the first scenario, I kind of want it to be that "nice" as you put it. Half the adventure might very well take place after the players figure out that it's just a kid. But still getting their stuff back and possibly getting the kid to stop, without just hurting people, is a challenge in itself. From my experience, 2-3 encounters and half-a-dozen distinct skill checks ends up being a session for most new players.

For the summoning, I'm trying to keep it contained to a single location. I think I agree that having the PCs now each other is preferable. As to rewarding the players for doing nothing, I might run with that a bit more. If the summoning is ignored, the demon steps through the gate, grabs the summoner, looks at the PCs and thanks them, leaving some little reward. I know most players won't end up being to happy that they just helped a demon get "dinner." I don't really like the Arch idea, just because it is so big, but I live near it, so it is an easy point to fix on.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 09:32:33 PM »
For the first scenario, I kind of want it to be that "nice" as you put it. Half the adventure might very well take place after the players figure out that it's just a kid. But still getting their stuff back and possibly getting the kid to stop, without just hurting people, is a challenge in itself. From my experience, 2-3 encounters and half-a-dozen distinct skill checks ends up being a session for most new players.
Maybe kick it up a notch by having the stolen item(s) be something more than random "stuff" -- sure, stuff they'd like to get back, but in the end it's just stuff that can be replaced with money.  It doesn't have to be something calling for "evil cultist" involvement... maybe an IoP (or two?) belonging to one or more of the PC's...  Maybe a highly-reverenced piece of ritual finery being transferred (under guard by the PC's) from one supernatural Court to another one (no real "power" in the piece, but a lot of honor & face; enough to cause a war, maybe)... etc.