Author Topic: Character creation help - Mermaid  (Read 6284 times)

Offline Razgrizi

• Participant
    • View Profile
Character creation help - Mermaid
« on: April 18, 2016, 09:01:29 PM »
Good afternoon everyone! I hope everyone's day is going well.  I just recently purchased the Dresden Files RPG books Your World and Our World and Im trying to build a campaign with some friends of mine for an Oklahoma City campaign.

With that said, I am wanting to have a mermaid as one of the main characters but make her more 'cursed.' I figured a changeling would fit that roll as it could go either way of a female accepting's a Fae's temptation which backfires or a male turned female mermaid due to the natures of the Fae and their whimsical looks on humanity and toying with them, either backstory struggling to try to return to humanity but tempted by the power of the Fae.

Regardless of either one (and I would like to hear your opinion on either and which would best suit the backstory,) I am having difficulties building a mermaid as a PC as I am reading as, honestly, Im very new to this and Im not even sure if they would fit as a changeling. Could anyone offer some advice and tips on what would make a mermaid in the Dresdenverse as there isnt really any input or examples that one could use. I would sincerely appreciate it and it would help me with helping others build their characters as well. Thank you so much!

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Character creation help - Mermaid
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 10:03:50 PM »
Well, there are, as so often, a few ways to do this.

First, the Aquatic power seems like a must.

As a base concept, I think we could take something like this:

High concept: Cursed Mermaid
Trouble: Cursed to [insert effect of curse]

Powers:
Glamor [-2]
Human Form (Involuntary, touching water) [+2]
affecting:
 Aquatic [-1]
 Inhuman Speed (representing the fin) [-2]

Total cost: -3

This would be your mermaid who would get legs when she is on dry land and a fin when in the water. That would make it easier for her to be useful in a campaign. The involuntary part of the human form can underline the curse.

The curse itself would make most sense as your trouble aspect. It would be compelled when the curse acts up and bad things would happen to you. In return, you would get a Fate point.

If you want to have more powers (for example greater glamors instead of normal glamors), you'd just need to adjust for that. Or we could look into other powers. Commanding fish, for example. Or anything else you like her to have.

Oh, I'm not really using a template here. You could probably fit this into the changeling template, but I find they are good as guidelines but can get in the way with some characters. They are better created freely.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 10:43:03 PM by Haru »
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 10:22:09 PM »
Incite Emotion at range might be a good fit for a mermaid if you want to go the siren route.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 10:24:04 PM »
Incite Emotion at range might be a good fit for a mermaid if you want to go the siren route.
Oh, yes. Good call.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 10:42:19 PM »
Oh, yes. Good call.
Thanks!  Out of curiosity why glamours for a mermaid?  (Also, is your total cost off by 1?)
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 10:44:39 PM »
Thanks!  Out of curiosity why glamours for a mermaid?
Standard fae stuff, seemed fitting enough. I didn't think of Incite, that could well replace that.

(Also, is your total cost off by 1?)
I have no idea what you're talking about.  ;)
(But yes.  :-[ )

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 10:46:57 PM by Haru »

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 11:00:08 PM »
Standard fae stuff, seemed fitting enough. I didn't think of Incite, that could well replace that.
Ah okay cool.  Landlocked mermaids are actually kind of a neat exercise.

I have no idea what you're talking about.  ;)
(But yes.  :-[ )
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain  ;D

Offline Razgrizi

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 02:21:38 AM »
Well, there are, as so often, a few ways to do this.

First, the Aquatic power seems like a must.

As a base concept, I think we could take something like this:

High concept: Cursed Mermaid
Trouble: Cursed to [insert effect of curse]

Powers:
Glamor [-2]
affecting:
 Aquatic [-1]

Total cost: -3

This would be your mermaid who would get legs when she is on dry land and a fin when in the water. That would make it easier for her to be useful in a campaign. The involuntary part of the human form can underline the curse.

The curse itself would make most sense as your trouble aspect. It would be compelled when the curse acts up and bad things would happen to you. In return, you would get a Fate point.

If you want to have more powers (for example greater glamors instead of normal glamors), you'd just need to adjust for that. Or we could look into other powers. Commanding fish, for example. Or anything else you like her to have.

Oh, I'm not really using a template here. You could probably fit this into the changeling template, but I find they are good as guidelines but can get in the way with some characters. They are better created freely.

Would you say making a custom template would be better than basing it on a Changeling one? In addition, would having the curse let her keep her legs be beneficial versus something like being in a wheelchair or something with the tail hidden, maybe an aspect of Hidden in Plain Sight and give back with some water control? Or is that too much for a starting character? Only reason I ask is I want the character established enough where they do turn full mermaid when at least exposed to water but still have enough humanity where the temptation is there but takes a couple sessions of multiple temptation before a choice had to be made, if that makes sense.

Ah okay cool.  Landlocked mermaids are actually kind of a neat exercise.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain  ;D

That's the idea Im trying to roll with is a landlocked mermaid in Oklahoma as I feel that brings some initial drama to the character. Any suggestions? Im still trying to figure out as well how I want the character compelled, so if I want a female cursed or tempted by power turned into one or male to female cursed by a trickster Fae due to something like a broken promise from the male. Any suggestions on that point as well?

Offline AgentSchneider

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 02:22:03 AM »
or a male turned female mermaid due to the natures of the Fae and their whimsical looks on humanity and toying with them

Poor guy. With the Fae I could actually see that happening.

Trouble Aspect: The Little Mermaid (But Actually I'm a Guy!)
Compel for aquatic creatures to annoyingly burst into song at him or have Ranma 1/2 style mishaps occur - like your best friend having a crush on the "other" you. I could see Maeve doing this to somebody.

Power List (stealing from Haru slightly):
Glamor [-2]
affecting:
 Aquatic [-1]
 If you wanted a water theme you could potentially add in Channeling: Water (-2), although using Incite Effect (which  can be found on the Resources page and has a ton of upgrades) would probably work better. It could also be used for  siren-type effects.
 Sex Appeal (?) - maybe whatever Fae did it would at least (un)luckily make him shift into an cutesy little mermaid surrounded by adoring sea critters? Like Aquaman but with a severe hoarding problem.

Edit:
That's the idea Im trying to roll with is a landlocked mermaid in Oklahoma as I feel that brings some initial drama to the character. Any suggestions? Im still trying to figure out as well how I want the character compelled, so if I want a female cursed or tempted by power turned into one or male to female cursed by a trickster Fae due to something like a broken promise from the male. Any suggestions on that point as well?
Originally I was just going to post for fun but now I'm going to try to offer some real help. I think one thing that might help you to decide is determine what conflicts down the road do you want to see with the character? Players have a lot more sway over the narrative than is typically the case in other games. If it's a female and she's cursed, what's the disadvantage of being cursed or why is she cursed? Does having water tossed on her cause her to grow gills and make her unable to breathe air? Was her mother (or father) a merperson who serves the Court of Atlantis or another group of Fae so the character has to do something as a favor to them? Did she just so happen to pick up a cursed conch that made its way inland and now every so often she gets mermaid impulses to drown somebody (similar to the Loup-Garou and the full moon)?

For the male to female trickster'd PC is he cursed to be a woman all the time now or is he a guy that just turns into a female mermaid when exposed to water? Maybe in exchange for being made a really good swimmer by a Fae he offered to be the Fae's servant - not realizing that all of the servants were female (whether they started that way or not - kind of like Lea's dogs). Maybe he was just a star swimmer who accidentally scorned a water nymph and she wanted to punish him for it (could tie into the broken promise idea you had)? He could either spend the game trying to find a way to break the curse or just have complications come up in his life that result from being an (unintentional) Little Mermaid.

Perhaps thinking into some of the characters' other Aspects would also help you to decide which choice would make for a more well-rounded and engaging RP experience. Do any of the other players at your table have an idea for what they want to do?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 02:36:19 AM by AgentSchneider »

Offline Razgrizi

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 02:48:14 AM »
Poor guy. With the Fae I could actually see that happening.

Trouble Aspect: The Little Mermaid (But Actually I'm a Guy!)
Compel for aquatic creatures to annoyingly burst into song at him or have Ranma 1/2 style mishaps occur - like your best friend having a crush on the "other" you. I could see Maeve doing this to somebody.

Power List (stealing from Haru slightly):
Glamor [-2]
affecting:
 Aquatic [-1]
 If you wanted a water theme you could potentially add in Channeling: Water (-2), although using Incite Effect (which  can be found on the Resources page and has a ton of upgrades) would probably work better. It could also be used for  siren-type effects.
 Sex Appeal (?) - maybe whatever Fae did it would at least (un)luckily make him shift into an cutesy little mermaid surrounded by adoring sea critters? Like Aquaman but with a severe hoarding problem.

Edit:Originally I was just going to post for fun but now I'm going to try to offer some real help. I think one thing that might help you to decide is determine what conflicts down the road do you want to see with the character? Players have a lot more sway over the narrative than is typically the case in other games. If it's a female and she's cursed, what's the disadvantage of being cursed or why is she cursed? Does having water tossed on her cause her to grow gills and make her unable to breathe air? Was her mother (or father) a merperson who serves the Court of Atlantis or another group of Fae so the character has to do something as a favor to them? Did she just so happen to pick up a cursed conch that made its way inland and now every so often she gets mermaid impulses to drown somebody (similar to the Loup-Garou and the full moon)?

For the male to female trickster'd PC is he cursed to be a woman all the time now or is he a guy that just turns into a female mermaid when exposed to water? Maybe in exchange for being made a really good swimmer by a Fae he offered to be the Fae's servant - not realizing that all of the servants were female (whether they started that way or not - kind of like Lea's dogs). Maybe he was just a star swimmer who accidentally scorned a water nymph and she wanted to punish him for it (could tie into the broken promise idea you had)? He could either spend the game trying to find a way to break the curse or just have complications come up in his life that result from being an (unintentional) Little Mermaid.

Perhaps thinking into some of the characters' other Aspects would also help you to decide which choice would make for a more well-rounded and engaging RP experience. Do any of the other players at your table have an idea for what they want to do?

Im still very new as a player and GMing, so most of our players are still trying to figure out what they want to do and build. So, NOT yet but the ideas are flowing. We're all trying to be creative so that its not a typical roleplay and trying to stay within a balance of the power. Like, no one wants to start off flinging power like Dresden or Michael. We want lots of room for character development. I can provide those details as they emerge.

One question before I go on, for the Fae, as they would do something like that, why would Maeve do that? Like, do you think there's a compelling interest for her to do it outside of just because, even though Fae fit that bill?

As for the curse, I'm FAVORING kind of a mixture between a Loup Garou where she gets urges to be a mermaid, in addition to the normal situations where she would have to defend herself.  I was thinking for that drowning as a possible impulse, some inspiration from normal mermaids and Pirates 4.

In addition, me personally (as its my character haha) I'm favoring a male turned female all the time, with the addition of the curse turning her into a mermaid. I was thinking it would be amusing of a 'learning yourself again' and getting into those awkward situations as simple as wearing a dress as a distraction but acting all manly cause of no experience as a lady.  That's where Im a tad held up as I do want the Fae involved but I dont know how. I do like the idea of the Winter Court being involved however with Maeve or maybe even Mab, as shes the one who would seem powerful enough to permanent gender bend an individual and change their species at will.  But, I dont know how or what history.  That's also where I was thinking that the drama could be as its living with the consequences of being a mermaid as, well, I like the idea of being tempted but I also like it as well of no temptation and 'it is what it is and youre stuck with it period.'

Also, thanks for helping me out. I appreciate it. Im really doing my best for trying to nail my character down and learn it so I apologize for all the questions and newbie ideas and such.

Ill also be on for a long time so Im available for responses and such tonight :)

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 04:03:57 AM »
Lake Thunderbird, Lake Oolagah, and Lake Tenkiller are all supposed to have had sightings of a Giant Octopus, so a mermaid seems relatively tame.

Oklahoma also has Native American stories of a half human/half deer, satyr-like creature who lures unsuspecting young men into the forest with her and tramples them with her hooves.

Oklahoma also has an Alligator man. 

And Skinwalkers... (eeep)

And Thunderbirds... (with wingspans of 160 ft)

http://hubpages.com/travel/Monsters-and-other-Unexplainable-Legends-in-Oklahoma

Offline Razgrizi

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 04:17:49 AM »
Lake Thunderbird, Lake Oolagah, and Lake Tenkiller are all supposed to have had sightings of a Giant Octopus, so a mermaid seems relatively tame.

Oklahoma also has Native American stories of a half human/half deer, satyr-like creature who lures unsuspecting young men into the forest with her and tramples them with her hooves.

Oklahoma also has an Alligator man. 

And Skinwalkers... (eeep)

And Thunderbirds... (with wingspans of 160 ft)

http://hubpages.com/travel/Monsters-and-other-Unexplainable-Legends-in-Oklahoma

Just as a question, but what do you mean by a mermaid being tame?

I was thinking with the mermaid more or less along the lines of her maybe choosing to live in Oklahoma in part to trying to resist those urges but due to the recent flooding and rainfall the past two years, those urges are back in the forefront. Kind of like people I know who live in Arizona due to the very dry heat cause of allergies.

Youre actually reading my mind. I have some monster of the month campaigns Im wanting to do and one of the aspects were coming across with Oklahoma as of right now as we narrow down is tornadoes, Bible Belt, and Native Americans, meaning were thinking there is going to be some type of interaction between the Angels/Demons, Norse, Fae, and Native Legends. Our biggest fear is those skinwalkers. But, we figured that, due to all the native american lands, possibly skinwalkers are easier to handle versus the ones Dresden has encountered.

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 09:45:56 PM »
Just as a question, but what do you mean by a mermaid being tame?

I just meant that compared to giant octopi sightings, the presence of a mermaid in Oklahoma is less weird.

Offline Razgrizi

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 03:27:40 AM »
I just meant that compared to giant octopi sightings, the presence of a mermaid in Oklahoma is less weird.

Oh, gotcha gotcha. As for whats been suggested and such, do you have any input for the character creation or what would be fun or creating trouble? Any suggestion is welcome as Im looking to have a solid character idea by the time the first session happens.

Offline Razgrizi

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 03:43:03 AM »

Any recommendations as well? Trying to get everyone whose answered input :)