Author Topic: Aspect advice  (Read 2162 times)

Offline SirJackers

• Participant
    • View Profile
Aspect advice
« on: March 02, 2016, 05:05:35 AM »
So I'm working on a character that has an item of power and I see it being really tied into the character and their identity. So I'm wondering if that deserves or could serve as an aspect. I can't think of a good way for it to be reliably compelled besides dropping it (and that seems kind of cheap) and invoking it to do its thing better is kind of redundant on the character. So should I worry about it as an aspect or should I not worry about it?

Some context, the weapon is an axe given to him by Odin for wrestling a bear in the nevernever. Its name is bjornerdyr which translates to the bear's door because he uses it to cut into the nevernever.

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Aspect advice
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 05:21:49 AM »
So I'm working on a character that has an item of power

By definition, possessing an Item of Power requires you to have a character aspect reflecting the item. You don't have to just name it "Bearer of bjornerdyr" (pun sort of intended) if you feel like that's boring, but instead you can make an aspect related to how and why he has it, what possessing it says about him or how that has changed him, what earning it says about him or how that changed him, etc.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 05:45:34 AM »
It should definitely be an Aspect.

Many items have agendas or responsibilities attached, and those make for good Compel fodder. Does Odin have plans for the character and his axe?

As for the invoke side of things...you can probably use the Aspect to impress people or to boost Contacts among Odin's people. The BEARER OF BJORNEDYR must be an important guy; he's got Bjornedyr!

Offline SirJackers

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 07:07:27 AM »
Odin might have an agenda for him, he's the one who made the axe. I haven't decided yet. The idea is that the character is in a highlanderesque competition to see which one will inherit Baldur's mantle after ragnorok.

Offline Amelia Crane

• Conversationalist
  • Estranged Daughter of Darby Crane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 07:29:50 PM »
The character absolutely should have an aspect about the item of power.  But I agree that Bearer of Bjornedyr is a bit boring.  Think about how he feels about the item and what it represents to him.  That should lead you to what sort of invokes and compels you want and that should help form your aspect.  Here are some examples.

Honored by Odin with Bjornedyr - If the character likes Odin and getting the axe was the greatest moment of his life.  Invoke to be in Odin's favor, compel to have the character need to stay in Odin's good graces.
Exit Through the Bear Door - If the character uses the axe to escape from situations.  Invoke to be able to leave a situation, compel to force you to leave via the nevernever even if it isn't necessary.
An Axe so sharp it can cut Reality - If the character takes a more secular view of the axe.  Invoke to chop things, compel to have the axe accidentally cut something.
The Onus of Bjornedyr's use - If the character sees the axe as a responsibility.  Invoke to stay true to Bjornedyr's purpose, compel to have the character take responsibility for more things (like things that escape to/from the nevernever through the holes that he cuts or for actions of previous bearers of the axe)
I wrestled a bear in the nevernever and all I got was this lousy axe - If the character isn't exactly grateful for the axe.  Invoke on Wrestling, compel for the character to express ingratitude.

Now I kinda want to use that last one.  I went into a frenzy in Norway and all I got was this lousy shirt or something like that for someone who became a berserker (literally bear shirt).

Offline SirJackers

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 08:37:50 PM »
I wrestled a bear in the nevernever and all I got was this lousy axe - If the character isn't exactly grateful for the axe.

That is pure gold. I'm stealing that so hard. Thanks.

Offline Amelia Crane

• Conversationalist
  • Estranged Daughter of Darby Crane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 12:49:13 AM »
That is pure gold. I'm stealing that so hard. Thanks.

By all means.  Although it's not really stealing when it is freely given.  Glad you like it.  That one makes me giggle a little bit every time I read it too.