Author Topic: The first line  (Read 21702 times)

Offline seradhe

• Conversationalist
  • insert witty cliche here
    • View Profile
    • Where I write things
The first line
« on: October 17, 2007, 04:47:17 PM »
OK, something that has been bugging me since my creative writing class way back my first year of college. Figured I'd ask it here.

How much weight do you think the first line of a book carries?

Jims books have never failed to have a seriously awesome first line/paragraph that locks me into the book until it's done. and my Teacher in Creative Writing was practically a nazi regarding the first line (in fact the only reason I passed the class was she liked my first lines)

in the spirit of the topic, I subject a few the the first sentences from my stories....

"It is a little known fact that dragons like to snuggle."
"What the h#!! is it with Vampires and S&M clubs?!"
"At what point does the human mind break?"
"One would think magic coming back into the world would be a great thing."
"I would not think that, waking up this morning, that today would be the last day of my life on earth."

thoughts/suggestions? maybe toss a few of your first lines out?
I think it's painfully obvious why my pants are gone.

Offline Dresden

• Conversationalist
  • If reading books was a drug I would be in trouble
    • View Profile
Re: The first line
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 05:04:05 PM »
I agree with your teacher. Because after the first line / paragraph I can always tell if I'm going to like the book or not.

Your first lines:-

"What the h#!! is it with Vampires and S&M clubs?!"
"At what point does the human mind break?"

I really like these first lines.
What is it with bad girls? They lie, cheat, won't suck your blood even when you beg them to.  But for some reason, no matter how badly they treat us we still can't walk away.   ~Harry

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 07:02:43 PM »
I've always wanted a first line that was a hilarious play on bad literary clichés.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 07:43:22 PM »
Some people like hook beginnings.  And there are some great hook beginnings out there - my personal favourite is Iain Banks' The Crow Road, which opens with "It was the day my grandmother exploded."

On the other hand, a hook beginning needs to be followed up pretty solidly to justify it. And there are a lot of great hook lines that have books following them ranging from so-so to mediocre.  [ "You are reading this book for the wrong reasons" would be a great opening line if the book following it was actually any good at all, for example. ]

Myself, I like nets more than hooks.  I pretty much never put down a book unfinished, and I read fast, and I'd far rather have a first chapter or two give me lots of little things to like than gamble on one big hook and have it fail to work for the people to whom it clearly says "this is not my thing".
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 07:45:54 PM »
I agree with your teacher. Because after the first line / paragraph I can always tell if I'm going to like the book or not.

Well, if you're putting them down after the first para if you don't like the first para, that kind of biases the sampling method, no ?

Some stories want quiet starts that draw you in gradually.  It's not a flaw, whereas forcing a slam-bang hook on a story that does not want it is.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline SunPhoenix

• Conversationalist
  • Unlike some people Stupidity doesn't discriminate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 08:17:20 PM »
Blood? My Blood? Why am I laying in a pool of my Blood?

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 12:30:27 AM »
One of my favorite first lines isn't even from a real book. It's from Jubal Harshaw's Stonebenders book that he's dictating in Heinlein's The Number of the Beast: "Uncle Tobias we kept in a bucket. He preferred it that way, of course."
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Tasmin21

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • On Literary Intent
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 12:44:25 AM »
Here's mine:

There’s a certain sound the human head makes when it hits the trunk of a tree. 

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 12:48:19 AM »
I think opening lines are very important.  But I don't think they should always be hooks.

My favorite opening line of all time comes from Stephen King's first book of his Dark Tower series, The Gunslinger:

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

Still gives me shivers.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 01:40:22 AM »
Personally, I'm a blurb girl.   ;D
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Dresden

• Conversationalist
  • If reading books was a drug I would be in trouble
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 06:34:28 AM »
Well, if you're putting them down after the first para if you don't like the first para, that kind of biases the sampling method, no ?

Some stories want quiet starts that draw you in gradually.  It's not a flaw, whereas forcing a slam-bang hook on a story that does not want it is.

I do give a book more of a chance then the first line but I can usually know from the off if I'm going to enjoy it or not.  I usually give 100 pages and if I really dislike it then I stop reading.
What is it with bad girls? They lie, cheat, won't suck your blood even when you beg them to.  But for some reason, no matter how badly they treat us we still can't walk away.   ~Harry

Offline seradhe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Where I write things
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 03:24:22 PM »
I like the replies!  ;D

It seems there's a pretty even split between hooks and nets. So what are the thoughts on ending lines? same rules apply? if the entire book is good, then the last line can be "neh.." or does it have to be a good sendoff?

.. and yes blgarver, "The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed" counts as an awesome last line too  :P

My favorite ending line in a book is "In the Dawn of a new world, Damien Vryce smiled". Mucho Brownie points to anyone who knows the book.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 03:33:13 PM »
One I've never seen used: "All this touchy-feely stuff was making my ass itch." If that doesn't catch your attention, nothing will. ;D

Offline seradhe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Where I write things
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 03:46:48 PM »
One I've never seen used: "All this touchy-feely stuff was making my ass itch." If that doesn't catch your attention, nothing will. ;D

I would politely ask your permission, as the creative owner of that line, if I may write something starting with that line  ;D

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 03:49:57 PM »
I would politely ask your permission, as the creative owner of that line, if I may write something starting with that line  ;D

If you can stomach it, you can have it with my blessings. I simply exude that kind of junk. ;D