Author Topic: Sword IOP Question  (Read 2323 times)

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Sword IOP Question
« on: February 16, 2016, 06:30:03 PM »
An Sword IOP will have the power to disappear.reappear as the wielder wills, allowing the wielder to always have the sword ready.  Instead of worrying about what/where the sword disappears to, what about simply saying, "Okay, it's not always Obvious OR Accessible, so  +2 discount is out of the question.  A plus 1 (+1) discount is instead justified.  Done"
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Sword IOP Question
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 07:04:17 PM »
I'd say that's fair.

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 08:43:37 PM »
As long as you aren't able to use that ability once the sword has left your hands, that's fair. If someone disarms you but you can still wink the sword into its own little pocket dimension and then call it back to you? Probably worth +0. You should nail down with the GM exactly how the weapon can be stolen from you.

And you while you don't necessarily need to know where it goes...you should, or at least I would figure it out. That offers more opportunities for various compels, depending on the narrative circumstances and what you decide on.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline Hogeyhead

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 07:25:17 PM »
Have you ever read 'The way of kings'? There are some really neat swords in this that do that. They are called shard blades, I won't spoil what they are, but I'll tell you how they work. First of all they are all (almost all) massive six foot long swords but weigh only a bit more than say a long sword. Next they cut through anything (except shard plate) effortlessly. Anything not alive is cut perfectly, anything that is alive is not cut but instead dies instantly but this leaves behind an intact corpse. If a limb is cut, just the limb dies, but it is also not cut (a second cut would sever it). Now Once you have attuned to it you can dismiss it at will and if you are disarmed the same thing happens so it is very difficult to steal, as the wielder needs to will it not to disappear when he lets it go. Here's the disadvantage though when you want to summon a shard blade you must wait ten heartbeats for it to appear. You could easily accept the same restriction and I'd say that would be worth +2. This makes it very difficult to steal, but provides a huge disadvantage to you if you get disarmed. I'd say that it would take one full combat turn to summon, but you could work out the details with your gm.

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 07:53:29 PM »
Yeah...no, a weapon you can make appear and disappear at will, even when possessed by another? That's worth +0. Ten heartbeats, FYI, for a person with an average heart rate, is about 10 seconds--well within the time of your average action in an exchange, with plenty leftover to act, and that's if you're not running at a high heart rate because you're in the middle of or are about to be in combat.

IF you required a full exchange to summon the weapon, I might give +1 rebate back for that.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 08:11:39 PM »
I got something similar in my Rising Tides game. Alex, the son of Thor has inherited Mjolnir, which he can carry around a leather strap around his neck where it is the size of an ordinary pendant. He can call it to his hand at will and we counted it as a +1 discount for a small item.

It also has a power that allows him to call it back to his hand when he threw it or it is out of reach. But that costs 1 point of refresh.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline RonLugge

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 06:56:36 PM »
Yeah...no, a weapon you can make appear and disappear at will, even when possessed by another? That's worth +0. Ten heartbeats, FYI, for a person with an average heart rate, is about 10 seconds--well within the time of your average action in an exchange, with plenty leftover to act, and that's if you're not running at a high heart rate because you're in the middle of or are about to be in combat.

IF you required a full exchange to summon the weapon, I might give +1 rebate back for that.

I've always played with 'an exchange takes 3 seconds', so...

Offline Hogeyhead

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 07:17:59 PM »
I've always played with 'an exchange takes 3 seconds', so...

I agree, usually in the book the swords would be summoned before a fight, not as a fight started, and every once in a while it would happen that a shard bearer was surprised, or disarmed and they were in deep doodoo for ten seconds. Of course this is a game and not the way of kings so you could say that it takes x amount of time to summon and be done, maybe with a roll of say endurance to summon it faster...

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 08:22:13 PM »
An exchange is as long as it needs to be. It's a fluid concept, like a Zone.

Combat action times vary dramatically--sometimes it's a few seconds, sometimes quite a lot longer. Look back to combat in the books. There can be several minutes worth of action in larger fights between one exchange and another, when you've got a handful of actors each taking ten to thirty seconds doing things. Sometimes the actions are even longer.

This is a core aspect of the Fate paradigm's fluidity.