Author Topic: Stunt usage  (Read 3003 times)

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Stunt usage
« on: February 06, 2016, 08:24:22 PM »
Given the Paranet Papers on how Debt can be accrued with Sponsored Magic (at least for the Winter Knight):
Would people allow a player with Sponsored Magic to take a point of Debt to Declare he has a particular Stunt? 
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Stunt usage
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 09:17:39 PM »
No.

Not unless it was a situation equivalent to when you might take up Temporary Powers, dramatic, and really made sense. Otherwise it's too easily abused.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 09:27:38 PM »
My opinion, though not informed by the Paranet Papers as I haven't gotten them.

"Having" a stunt, as in it is from now on on his character sheet, a definite no.

As a one time deal? That's basically like spending a fate point on an appropriate aspect, only you pay for it later through debt rather than getting it by a compel. That seems fine.

I could even see getting a stunt temporarily as per the temporary upgrades rules, only again paid with debt instead of a fate point. I wouldn't allow this as a regular thing, though.

Then again, instead of all that, all that might be needed is a skill replacement spell, that allows you to do something at a greater skill level than you otherwise would.

Lastly, the stunt in question would obviously need to fit the sponsor in some way, and it should make sense that it is somehow transferable.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Kennifus Prime

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 11:39:02 PM »
I agree with Haru. If it is a one-time use of the Stunt and fits the flavor of the Sponsor / is being used to further the Sponsor's goals, I'd likely allow it.

If they're wanting to accrue a point of Debt to permanently gain a Stunt I'd say no way.

Also, @Haru, I'm curious about "Temporary Upgrade". I don't recall that. Is it something from FATE Core?

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 04:23:45 AM »
I agree with Haru. If it is a one-time use of the Stunt and fits the flavor of the Sponsor / is being used to further the Sponsor's goals, I'd likely allow it.

If they're wanting to accrue a point of Debt to permanently gain a Stunt I'd say no way.

Also, @Haru, I'm curious about "Temporary Upgrade". I don't recall that. Is it something from FATE Core?
Yeah, I should've clarified things a wee bit.  For all intents and purposes, the "Stunt" in question wold only be for that particular scene and would disappear when that scene is ended.  Debt is still acquired and the scales balance out.
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 11:33:40 AM »
It's part of the "mid session power upgrades" rules. There's a yellow box on page 92 in Your Story called "Temporary Powers".

Reading through it again, it even talks about that the player can owe the GM compels, if he doesn't have enough to pay for the temporary upgrades. Wrapping those into a theme of sponsor debt would therefor work rather nicely.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 08:43:53 PM »
I'd say yes, but I'd be very careful.

Stunts are used for skill swaps:  use Endurance to defend against mental attacks; Use conviction to defend against physical attacks etc...

So a player can use a point of sponsored debt to turn a useless skill into an apex skill.  That said, Guide My Hand, with the cost of a FP lets you do exactly that(by letting conviction replace any skill).  So, in a sense, you're just doing it without the FP and using debt instead.

It makes me think, though, that having a Power like Guide My Hand would justify this kind of use for sponsored debt.  But, I think, that just goes back to what everyone else was saying: the stunt must be in line with the flavour/theme/agenda of the Sponsor.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 10:36:34 PM »
Stunts are used for skill swaps:
An evothaum skill replacement spell will get you roughly the same (or better) for no cost at all with the option of boosting it with debt or fate points.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 10:43:14 PM »
An evothaum skill replacement spell will get you roughly the same (or better) for no cost at all with the option of boosting it with debt or fate points.

I agree, but you spend 2-3 refresh for that privilege. and, for the most part, Skill replacement spells only last for a SINGLE roll.  Guide My Hand allows skill replacement for the cost of a FP and it, too, only lasts for one single roll.

But if you have an aspect related to a sponsor and no power to back it up, I think you should be careful what you allow.

Temporary Power rules give you a 'power' for a whole scene.

A FP can add +2 to a skill.

If you have +0 to a skill, adding an extra +2 by invoking an aspect might be great for a single roll...but if you use that same FP to buy a skill replacement stunt to give you +5 to a skill for an entire scene that's WAY better.  That's way more useful than a single skill replacement Spell.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 10:46:12 PM by Taran »

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 11:56:24 PM »
That's certainly true. But I thought we were already talking about someone with sponsored magic, so the refresh is already spent.

In any case, if a character is built on "I just switch out my stuff as I need it", there are better ways to do that. And if a player would start doing that with the temporary upgrade rule, I would definitely talk with him about redoing his character that way.

Offline Kennifus Prime

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 12:09:36 AM »
It's part of the "mid session power upgrades" rules. There's a yellow box on page 92 in Your Story called "Temporary Powers".

Reading through it again, it even talks about that the player can owe the GM compels, if he doesn't have enough to pay for the temporary upgrades. Wrapping those into a theme of sponsor debt would therefor work rather nicely.

Wow, so it is. This is really cool stuff. Thanks!

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 12:57:17 AM »
In any case, if a character is built on "I just switch out my stuff as I need it", there are better ways to do that. And if a player would start doing that with the temporary upgrade rule, I would definitely talk with him about redoing his character that way.

I'm not arguing with you - I totally agree with you.  I'm simply pointing out the ways sponsored debt/stunts can be abused and how they can be abused.  Which might be the reason why Dragoonbuster was saying he'd be hesitant to allow it.

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 01:44:47 AM »
Which might be the reason why Dragoonbuster was saying he'd be hesitant to allow it.

Yep
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 02:25:37 AM »
I'm not arguing with you
Sorry, I was kind of in arguing mode from another discussion.