Author Topic: Writing Online  (Read 3594 times)

Offline Danielle/Evie

• Lurker
  • Je suis ce que je suis
    • View Profile
Writing Online
« on: July 08, 2006, 08:19:47 PM »
Hi, I'm Danny (the girl kind).
I'm learning how to write *yippie*...but of course, learning implys being taught. I have about 500000 titals writen down for "On Writing" books, and once I aquire an encoded note informing me of a clever get-rich-quick sceme I'll go out and buy them. For now, though, I was wondering if anyone knew of some website that hold essays on the topic? Like Jim's livejournal, or Orson Scott Card's website? Nicholas Sparks also has a really great essay on his website, and I found a really great intervew of a converstation between Phillip Pullman, Tamora Pierce, and Chistopher Paolini by Dave Weich...but if anyone knows of anything else, it would be gggreatly appreciated.
 ;D
-Danielle
Life isn't particularly fair.
But that doesn't mean we won't survive it.

Offline varza

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Online
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 08:38:27 PM »
nope but I would suggest going to the library and checking out Stephan Kings, On Writing. Its one of the best books out there on being a professional writer and the struggle it takes to get there. Its a biop of his life in writing and very inspirational. but he also has information on his website about writing...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 08:49:00 PM by varza »
never assume the obvious is true

Offline blue moon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 01:06:10 AM »
Barnes and Noble has a program of free online classes they call Barnes and Noble University, or BNU.  Check their website.  The classes change every month, but there are always a few writing related ones.  And some of the non-writing ones would be good for writers anyway, like the crime scene investigation class they ran a couple months ago.  There are required texts for the classes, but you don't have to buy them through B&N, and with some planning you can probably get them used or at your local library.

Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer have a joint blog, chronicling the release of their first book together and the writing of their second.  Some of it is more behind the scenes of the writing life, but they try to discuss craft regularly, and there was a really good series of blogs a couple months back about POV.  crusiemayer.com/blog

Miss Snark is another that seems to be popular with the romance writer set.  She's an agent, and focuses on the business end of things.  She's got a real issue with people who try to take advantage of new writers, so you'll see scam warnings quite a bit.  But you'll also see a lot of questions answered, for example a recent one was "what do they really mean when they say 'no unsolicited submissions?'"  http://misssnark.blogspot.com/

Check your local area for writing groups- you might be surprised.  Romance Writers of America is a large, generally well run organization.  See if they have a chapter in your area.  While they do focus on romance writing, a lot of their programs would be helpful to any writer.  I went to a talk this morning about motivation and conflict that's helped me make a few decisions about my current WIP already.  rwanational.org

You can study all the craft you want, but ultimately, the only thing that makes you a better writer is to write.  Once you're doing that regularly, start looking for a critique group.  Honest, unbiased feedback is tremendously helpful.  There's been some talk of starting one here.  Kelley Armstrong has a well established group on her site.  kelleyarmstrong.com

I met my current real-world critique partners through National Novel Writing Month.  Their forums are open year round, but I definitely recommend you try to get active with them in Oct/Nov.  Most major cities in the US seem to have a chapter, and it's been a great place for me to meet other crazy writer types like myself.  We're out there, but since we spend so much time tucked in a book or tied to a keyboard sometimes it's hard to find each other.  And nothing beats getting together with people who love books and writing as much as you do.  nanowrimo.org

Hope this information helps.  Good luck!

Offline Darla

• Conversationalist
  • Charter member Bookstore Commandos
    • View Profile
    • Nichtszusagen
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 07:18:01 PM »

Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer have a joint blog, chronicling the release of their first book together and the writing of their second.  Some of it is more behind the scenes of the writing life, but they try to discuss craft regularly, and there was a really good series of blogs a couple months back about POV.  crusiemayer.com/blog

There's also a wealth of craft discussion on the Cherry boards (Jennifer Crusie):  http://www.cherryforums.com/index.php, as well as discussions about the writing life (stuff like motivating yourself, balancing writing with other things, writer's block, etc.), and the publishing biz, once you get that far.
Darla 
Currently reading Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers. — A Bit of Fry and Laurie