Author Topic: "Human Shield" Stunt  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
"Human Shield" Stunt
« on: November 25, 2015, 05:09:34 PM »
Someone just posted this to the Fate Core G+ community, and I absolutely love the idea. I'm wondering if this would work in DF as well, or if it might need some tweaking.

Human Shield
If there's someone else in your zone you can grab them and use them to defend against an attack. Instead of defending against your attacker you roll Fight opposed by the shield's Fight or Athletics. You count as having a Mediocre (+0) defence for purposes of the actual attack against you, but you can pass as many stress on to your shield as you rolled against them. If the human shield rolls higher than you, you must add their shifts to the original attack. Unless you establish an aspect like Human Shield you just grab the victim and then let them go after the attack. You can't use this stunt on a target that has been taken out.

Example: An attacker gets Superb (+5). You grab a hapless peasant passing by and get Fantastic (+6) to their Fair (+2). You have 4 shifts over your attacker, so you get to pass off 4 of the 5 shifts from the attack on to the hapless peasant.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/+RichardBellinghamSkimble/posts/f5xaou1gYYU

Discuss.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 05:12:27 PM by Haru »
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: "Human Shield" Stunt
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 05:31:34 PM »
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 05:35:15 PM by blackstaff67 »
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 07:17:31 PM »
Interesting. It's very non-standard, but it doesn't look broken...

Basically, you add your target's defense roll to the accuracy of the attack against you in order to make a free attack against them.

I'd be willing to give it a try if one of my players wanted to use it.

Offline Kennifus Prime

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 04:34:51 PM »
Someone just posted this to the Fate Core G+ community, and I absolutely love the idea. I'm wondering if this would work in DF as well, or if it might need some tweaking.

Human Shield
If there's someone else in your zone you can grab them and use them to defend against an attack. Instead of defending against your attacker you roll Fight opposed by the shield's Fight or Athletics. You count as having a Mediocre (+0) defence for purposes of the actual attack against you, but you can pass as many stress on to your shield as you rolled against them. If the human shield rolls higher than you, you must add their shifts to the original attack. Unless you establish an aspect like Human Shield you just grab the victim and then let them go after the attack. You can't use this stunt on a target that has been taken out.

Example: An attacker gets Superb (+5). You grab a hapless peasant passing by and get Fantastic (+6) to their Fair (+2). You have 4 shifts over your attacker, so you get to pass off 4 of the 5 shifts from the attack on to the hapless peasant.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/+RichardBellinghamSkimble/posts/f5xaou1gYYU

Discuss.

I assume "Fight" is "Fists" in DFRPG? I was thinking using "Might" may be appropriate since you're grabbing someone and holding them in front of you against their will. So your Might vs the human shield's Athletics and use the Shift difference as described the original post. Thanks for sharing this. It's pretty spiffy!

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 04:23:40 PM »
Fists or Might would probably both work. Fists would be more along the lines of a martial arts move, while might is simply overpowering your opponent.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal