Author Topic: Another conversion  (Read 6788 times)

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Another conversion
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 12:09:50 PM »
Power vested in me by necroposting, I command this thread - Rise!
...OK, or I just right something here.
After reading a new Chronicles of Darkness core, I can can calculate some powers in terms of physical meaning.
On the peak of might (Gauru form, all buffs for strength, speed and weapon rating),  Mahmoud have:
-Carrying capacity - 1 tonne (actually, a bit bigger, but a tonne is normal, nor peak value)
-Weapon rating 6 (for CoD terms, it means... idk, actually, because the limit is 5 - for chainsaw. So, may be a big chainsaw)
-Speed around 48 mph
-Depending on form, which he had before fight starts, he can compel enemies Initiative (like he'd have Supernatural speed).
Considering dice probability, he can kill average-but-tough person (Health 8, Defense 6 in terms of Chronicles) by first hit with chance around 85,06%.
So, what do you think about such guy in DF, which powers can give such effect?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 12:24:27 PM by Tirs »
RPG of my dreams: vampires from True Blood, mages from Dresden files, werewolves from Mercy Thompson and fairy from... Hm,I shall think.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 09:05:33 PM »
DF isn't really going to do anything with insta-deaths. There are very few ways to instantly kill a PC/NPC as the system is built with the idea that they can escape.

As far as speed and strength, those are easily outlined in the Speed and Strength powers. Don't have the book on me so I don't know the actual ratings for each but the descriptions pretty much tell you exactly what you need to know.

As far as Weapon Rating. I do not know what the conversion is from WoD to DF. You could easily have a Weapon Rating of 4 with claws, but I don't really know if that means anything in comparison as I don't know the WoD comparison.

In all else you should try to remember that Dresden is more about the narrative capacity of the game than the Mechanical benefit of the system. As an example, I can make a character who lifts 5 tonnes and I don't need to take the power "supernatural Strength" or even any strength power for that to happen. An aspect that indicates my strength and a fate point to justify it can do the same thing, I just don't get any mechanical benefit for being strong.

It is hard to separate these two things out, and I know there are a lot of people who don't like this part of games. My game group is split 50/50 on these types of games. Some want more mechanical crunch so they can meticulously build characters, while others like to have a rules lite game so they can focus on the narrative. I am on the latter viewpoint.

But either way its about having fun and an emulation of something from another game doesn't have to have the mechanical backing. If you can work an aspect in there that can promote a good compel or invoke you don't need to worry about having the exact power.

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 10:41:39 PM »
So, can it be aspect like "The gay, who can run 20 m/sec, carry a tonne without troubles and whose claws hit like a BIG chainsaw?" First and foremost I'm interesting, is this physical conditions enough to fight with DF-vampires?
RPG of my dreams: vampires from True Blood, mages from Dresden files, werewolves from Mercy Thompson and fairy from... Hm,I shall think.

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 05:01:50 AM »
So, can it be aspect like "The gay, who can run 20 m/sec, carry a tonne without troubles and whose claws hit like a BIG chainsaw?" First and foremost I'm interesting, is this physical conditions enough to fight with DF-vampires?
No, but...it might be the Aspect "Head Enforcer for (insert name here)" followed by the Aspect "Rippling Muscles" or "Claws like Chainsaws".  Not too sure how those can be Compelled/Self-Compelled against you other than 'The clan head thinks you're the perfect candidate for this particular nasty job." Perhaps they might be social problems as younger rivals try to take you on to prove themselves, perhaps your very attributes make you a target by the bad guys.
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Theclawmasheen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 06:04:14 AM »
-Carrying capacity - 1 tonne (actually, a bit bigger, but a tonne is normal, nor peak value)

Sounds like Supernatural Strength.

-Weapon rating 6 (for CoD terms, it means... idk, actually, because the limit is 5 - for chainsaw. So, may be a big chainsaw)

If I recall correctly, they are almost identical mechanical concepts. If you manage to hit with your weapon, you apply the weapons rating as levels of damage appropriate for the weapon. So just throw Claws on top of your Strength and you get incredibly deadly strikes.

-Speed around 48 mph

Supernatural Speed is described as enough to 'keep up with a car' so that seems about right.

-Depending on form, which he had before fight starts, he can compel enemies Initiative (like he'd have Supernatural speed).

Well, you're doing my work for me at this point.  ;) Yes, if you want this concept to effectively always react first, Supernatural Speed is your way to go.

Considering dice probability, he can kill average-but-tough person (Health 8, Defense 6 in terms of Chronicles) by first hit with chance around 85,06%.

This last little part doesn't translate well to FATE. I'm just parroting what has already been said, so I won't comment on that aspect. I will add, however, that the 'average' person will be taken down by this build. An unimportant bystander NPC will likely only have 4 stress boxes, which you can easily overcome with one swipe.

Online Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 09:53:07 AM »
You can, in theory, do everything with Aspects. But I wouldn't recommend it. The game run smoother and generally better if you represent your powers with Powers when possible.

In this case, I'll echo everyone else and say that it sounds like Claws and some Supernatural building blocks will do the trick.

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 10:19:40 AM »
Thanks.
And if you allow me to absolutely grow insolent...
There is a question about werewolves' magic of CoD-verse. It's easy with Fetishes (Items of power), a bit harder with Rites (there is list of available rites, but werewolves technically can "create" their own - is it Rites or Taumathurgy?).
But there are Gifts, which I don't know how to classify, since they could be really different (buffs, debuffs, self-bursts, mild mind-control and power stunts). Sample effects - from weak and really situate usefull such as
*ALL DOORS LOCKED
This Facet affects all of the doors, windows, and other entryways in a building or vehicle that the Uratha is touching
or is inside. The Uratha becomes immediately aware of all such doorways, where they are, and whether they are open or closed. With a mere thought, he can seal or open any of them, including locking them fast if so desired.
to weak-but-growing-to-powerful like
*TONGUE OF FLAME
The Uratha who possesses this Facet is mistress of flame and smoke. She is a fire-walker to whom the blaze pays obeisance.
(Which means, that on the peak of power werewolf will became Ozai-level pyromancer)
to really useful, like
*PRIMAL ALLURE
Even when the prey knows that something is wrong, it’s hard to resist the raw magnetism of the predator who speaks in such alluring tones. The Uratha beguiles the prey with his personality, coaxing her to follow his desires. He has a perfect impression with the prey for the rest of the scene, but only for social goals aimed at making the prey take actions on an immediate time-scale (such as “come outside with me and get away from this crowd” or “sign this contract”).

So, what is this - true magic or channeling?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 10:21:12 AM by Tirs »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 12:41:15 PM »
Just make them powers.  If they can access them when they want, it's a straight up power, if they have to do a ritual to get it, make it part of 'Human Form' or, possibly use the Limitation Power

All Doors Locked

This is a -3 power:
-1 Supernatural sense: all portals and and locks
-1 Incite Effect (control portals)
    -1 Range (sight/sense)
    -1 Zone-wide: a GM might require the zone-wide upgrade.

You can open and close any door you can sense and lock it.
->You roll a maneuver to 'lock/close' all doors, which is invoked for effect and the GM applies the effects of zone borders based on each door/window.  OR  You make a Block maneuver and that becomes the strength of the zone barrier.
->To open/unlock the doors, you must beat the lock difficulty of the highest portal.

*TONGUE OF FLAME
Channeling Fire
Fire Immunity
and/or breath weapon

*PRIMAL ALLURE
Incite Emotion with a maneuver tagged for effect or as a take-out
Telepathy
there might be a 'suggestion' custom power.

- you could make all this stuff magic but it'd be thaumaturgy (except for the pyromancy stuff).  Rituals done in advance with the appropriate aspects to tag.  I'd allow All Doors Locked as it's own Ritual.  It lasts one scene.  The Complexity would probably be the difficulty of the highest lock, adding the amount of zones of the building and extra complexity to 'sense' the doors opening and closing.  Then I'd just allow you to open and close and lock/unlock doors as an action for the scene.

Primal Allure would be a psychomancy spell.  Either a powerful maneuver or a full-ritual-takeout.

Offline Theclawmasheen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2016, 07:34:06 PM »
Primal Allure

This seems more like it's just a benefit to social skills flavored by your predatory nature. I'd say make it stunt that gives a +2 to Rapport (or maybe Deceit) in the situation specified, or that allows the wolf to use another thematically appropriate skill (Survival, Fists, Presence) to make social attacks.

If you think that it's more overtly supernatural, than just make it an Incite Emotion (At Range): Compliance.

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2016, 03:32:29 PM »
Just make them powers.  If they can access them when they want, it's a straight up power, if they have to do a ritual to get it, make it part of 'Human Form' or, possibly use the Limitation Power
I'm not sure, that is a good way.  You see, this not special powers, it's like parts of one powers (the Gifts itself)/ In core book 23 Gifts (or 115 Facets - tricks) have been described, and, in theory, any werewolf can study all of them, with some exceptions (Moon gifts). More than that, another gifts can (and probably does) exist. So, I think it should be described as such a more "wide" category, cuz any Facet is like a cantrip or spell. I see something like Fairy Magic (in CoD, it weaker and rougher than True Magic, but still give some bonuses, and more flexible than channeling). What about this?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2016, 07:39:00 PM »
I'm not sure, that is a good way.  You see, this not special powers, it's like parts of one powers (the Gifts itself)/ In core book 23 Gifts (or 115 Facets - tricks) have been described, and, in theory, any werewolf can study all of them, with some exceptions (Moon gifts). More than that, another gifts can (and probably does) exist. So, I think it should be described as such a more "wide" category, cuz any Facet is like a cantrip or spell. I see something like Fairy Magic (in CoD, it weaker and rougher than True Magic, but still give some bonuses, and more flexible than channeling). What about this?

If anyone can do them, make a list of powers (as I did), but throw them under modular abilities.  The types of gifts they know can be based on aspects, so you could compel them not to use certain abilities until they've learned them.

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2016, 12:18:16 AM »
I decide to reanimate this topic and put here the conversions of Chronicles of Darkness characters for DF RPG system. As people told me, it's quite hard to convert the traits and effects directly, though I'll try to be as accurate as possible. And the first one is...

James Cesar
High Concept: Politically active journalist… and vampire
Trouble: I didn’t ask for this!
Other Aspects: Personal Bane - Hated by Beasts; Friend of homeless; Street-smart; Involved in intrigue
Skills
Average: Might, Presence, Endurance, Conviction, Stealth
Fair: Discipline, Scholarship, Athletics, Lore, Guns
Good: Contacts, Rapport, Empathy, Performance, Alertness
Powers
Vampire physiology [–1] – penalties for darkness and difficulty for perception rolls when blood was involved (including smell for the scent or heart-beat for hearing) is reduced by 1, can spend blood to add 1 to Might, Athletic or Endurance for 1 action
Blood Drinker [–1]
Feeding Dependency [+1]:
Inhuman Speed [–2]
Inhuman Toughness [–2]
Vampire Recovery [–3]* – can eliminate both mild and moderate consequence until have blood
The Catch [+3] – fire, sun, stake in the heart, attacks of other vampires and supernatural beings, torpor till sunset
Auspex* [–2]: 2 effects, both require the successful roll (value is 3 – Good)
1) Beast’s Hackles - The Beast focuses on danger and weakness. A vampire who borrows her Beast’s senses can use that focus to know if someone is about to attack her, or to pinpoint the weakest person in theroom. Sample questions:
Who here is most afraid? The smell of urine from the victim’s
pants. A whimpering sound from the victim.
Who/what here is most likely to lapse into violence? The
victim’s hands stained with blood. The smell of gunpowder wafting
from the victim.

2) Uncanny Perception - The vampire focuses on a single victim, peeling back the layers of lies and misdirection to reveal the truth underneath.
The Beast sniffs out the victim’s dark secrets, things that she doesn’t want anyone else to know. Sample questions:               
What is this person’s mood? A flash of emotion on the victim’s
face. A smell that the vampire associates with the emotion — the
smell of fresh blood signifying rage, the sound of grinding stone
signifying isolation.
What is this person afraid of right now? Shock as lights suddenly
shine on the victim. The sound of dogs barking.

Stress
Mental ooo, Social ooo, Hunger ooo, Physical ooo(oo), Armor:1
Total Refresh Cost: –7
* - Max Blood/Per Turn (10/1). Which means, that James can activate only one of his tricks per turn. During healing, he can eliminate 2 mild or 1 moderate consequence per dot of blood.
Backstory
James came from an upper-middle-class family and grew up in a New Jersey suburb, eventually being accepted by a decent journalism college. After two years of study, he had a falling out with his family, dropped out of school and ran off to Chicago, where he nearly died of starvation living on the street for several months.
His first freelance story detailing his experiences on the street was picked up by a major newspaper and syndicated across the country, putting his name on the map, and he landed a job writing articles, giving him enough money for a tiny, rundown apartment near the elevated train. James developed a relationship with another writer at the newspaper and got up the nerve to propose marriage,
which she accepted. In the weeks before his Embrace, he had received a raise, was planning his wedding and had started to patch things up with his parents.
As the chronicle starts, James has abandoned his previous life entirely, struggling to accept the realities of his new condition. Unable to face the world, he hides in the alleys, preying upon the homeless he had spent his career trying to defend. He becomes jaded with the world and his previous work, realizing that hunger and cold are hardly any threat when  creatures who feed on human blood lurk in the darkness. His hair is disheveled; his clothes are ragged and dirty; he spends his nights stalking unwary beggars, talked about in hushed words as though he were nightmare made flesh.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2016, 05:20:55 PM »
My recommendation is to drop feeding dependency and do hunger stuff with aspects and compels. Feeding dependency is a terrible power.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart