Author Topic: Death Curses  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Death Curses
« on: July 23, 2015, 08:14:56 PM »
Well that thread on Kemmlerites stopping a Death curse by stopping the person from dying, made me think (or well I had the thought long before). For those of you that have played wizards, have you thought about what kind of Death curse your character would cast if needed?

My character who specializes in divination, her death curse would be "All your secrets shall be known."

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline Herlaking

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Death Curses
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 08:50:31 PM »
For my Undead Biomancer I would probably go with a simple "Never Heal" I also have a practitioner based on sleep and dream magic, For him I would probably go with either "Never Sleep" or a lotus eater's style "Sweet Dreams". I like the idea of forcing the most amazing and satisfying dreams onto somebody, to have them wither away as they constantly try to return to their perfect dream with their friends and family having to watch it happen.

Offline Rossbert

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 08:57:34 PM »
Does anyone just use the use the blow up their face and the block around them curses anymore?  I find killing the bad guy is often just fine without the need for extensive torture.

Offline Herlaking

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 09:21:32 PM »
Eh, I really like the Thematic curses as opposed to the plain murder curses. It might be more effective to just kill whoever it is, but I feel like it's more interesting to use a dramatic curse. It seems like it makes a better story to me, of course if it's the final enemy of the campaign I'm more likely to aim for an immediate death.

Offline Rossbert

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 09:25:59 PM »
I was just under the assumption that is what most them are. The two in the books aren't because one target was immune to magic and the other was a sadistic monster who might not have had the power for an upfront kill.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 10:07:30 PM »
I was just under the assumption that is what most them are. The two in the books aren't because one target was immune to magic and the other was a sadistic monster who might not have had the power for an upfront kill.

Simon Petrovitch's apparently took out hundreds of the Red Court. There were probably dozens of similar ones set off when the Wardens were ambushed in Dead Beat. Typically you don't need to go for indirect methods when dealing with supernatural nasties; it's only the rare few (and Outsiders) that require something different.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Herlaking

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 10:12:57 PM »
I suppose it makes sense that most death curses are more straight forward, they come from dying people after all, but since most of my characters are extremely focused towards a theme they lean towards more complicated curses. It's rather hard to make a dream based curse that immediately kills people.

Offline Xelah

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 10:55:09 PM »
My previous spellcaster (cloak and dagger assassin that had a special bond with the Malks) went out with"step on a malk kitten"

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 11:00:50 PM »
Does anyone just use the use the blow up their face and the block around them curses anymore?  I find killing the bad guy is often just fine without the need for extensive torture.

Well, my character isn't much of a fighter, and she is very much thematically specialized so that's the reason for me. Hell, she makes Molly look like a heavy hitter combat wizard in comparison.

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 04:02:56 PM »
I've only had one death curse in a game so far, a kaboom one at that, but that one was pretty epic. Partially fueled by the wizard, partially fueled by Summer magic, the wizard in went off in a nova of pure sunshine as bright as a thousand summer days, evaporating the red king and his brother.
Incidentally, he got better. :D
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal