Author Topic: He Couldn't Lose [SG Spoilers]  (Read 56766 times)

Offline namkcas

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: He Couldn't Lose [SG Spoilers]
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2015, 02:18:09 PM »
How about Dragons?

Where is the new Sirothrax?

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2015, 02:28:57 PM »
How about Dragons?

Where is the new Sirothrax?
One explanation I've offered is that an archangel took up his mantle and duties once Michael killed Siriothrax, but they're so big and important that we mere mortals can't tell that a change has been made.  Another explanation is that Siriothrax's role isn't needed at all times, so his mantle is lying dormant at the moment.  If we need a third option, Siriothrax's mantle may have shattered and gone to hundreds of individuals to share in his responsibilities and portions of his power.  We need more information on Siriothrax's Purpose and how different mantles vary and transfer to make a better guess.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline namkcas

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2015, 02:35:34 PM »
Wow - okay well there you go...

We have no idea so we invented some mechanisms.  Or how about idea 4.  Siriothrax is dead, never to return since not all beings have a cosmic purpose.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2015, 02:43:16 PM »

We have no idea so we invented some mechanisms.  Or how about idea 4.  Siriothrax is dead, never to return since not all beings have a cosmic purpose.
Well if you think Siriothrax is only as immortal as your run of the mill whampire, then sure.  I don't think the text supports it, but there's nothing that outright says that is false.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2015, 03:52:58 PM »

Nah, that at least doesnt work because all Capital D Dragons have cosmic purpose.  Well, Had.  They used to control Seasons, but then we know that somebody else's bag now. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2015, 04:42:10 PM »
There's a very recent WOJ about how the queens created their Knight/Champion mantles by carving off a piece of their own power.  The context of the question, iirc, was whether somebody like Erl could make a knight of his own, and I think the answer was yes but he's not really big enough to have that kind of power to spare, whereas the Summer/Winter knights came from the three queens. 

Ill see if I can find it.  Serack, any idea where it might have been?

here ya go

Quote from: WoJ
James Burnell  ‏@SuperSnapper61  Feb 10:
@longshotauthor is it possible for the Erlking to create a Wyld Knight or some equivalent?

‏Jim Butcher @longshotauthor:
@SuperSnapper61 Engh. He could feasibly take a part of his own power and fashion a new mantle from it.  Much weaker than the WK though.

Jim Turnage ‏@jim_turnage  Feb 12:
@longshotauthor Wait, Mab as strong as she is despite wrapping enough of her power together to make a Mantle?! Or someone else made it...

The Honorable Dennis ‏@den_down_unda  Feb 12:
@jim_turnage @longshotauthor I'm guessing the fact that there are three Queens to a single King of the Wild Fae has something to do with it.

Jim Butcher ‏@longshotauthor  Feb 13:
@den_down_unda @jim_turnage The Erlking is simply not on the same scale of power as Mab, though he could probably hand Molly her head.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2015, 02:57:57 PM »
Well if you think Siriothrax is only as immortal as your run of the mill whampire, then sure.  I don't think the text supports it, but there's nothing that outright says that is false.

How about "as immortal as your run of the mill complete Vampire Court"?  The Red Court collectively held a large amount of power.  We don't have first hand evidence of any cosmic disruptions from Siriothrax's demise, (though the WoJ of "you killed WHAT" comes close). 

DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2015, 03:35:03 PM »
We don't have first hand evidence of any cosmic disruptions from Siriothrax's demise, (though the WoJ of "you killed WHAT" comes close).
I got the impression, but cant cite sources, that the reason there wasnt much in the way of Cosmic disruptions was because Siriothrax had been neglecting his duties for a long time, and so there wasnt as much of a splash once he was gone.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Eldest Gruff

• Posty McPostington
  • Alleged Sniper
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
I got the impression, but cant cite sources, that the reason there wasnt much in the way of Cosmic disruptions was because Siriothrax had been neglecting his duties for a long time, and so there wasnt as much of a splash once he was gone.

TIL Siriothrax is Maeve.  8)
"Home is where, when you go there and tell people to get out, they have to leave." DDS

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2015, 03:53:20 PM »
TIL Siriothrax is Maeve.  8)
Pretty much ya, only we dont know if he ever got a replacement. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Eldest Gruff

• Posty McPostington
  • Alleged Sniper
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2015, 03:54:48 PM »
Pretty much ya, only we dont know if he ever got a replacement.

Not according to the WOJ's which have two Dragons only remaining, Ferro and Pyro.
"Home is where, when you go there and tell people to get out, they have to leave." DDS

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2015, 04:00:59 PM »
Not according to the WOJ's which have two Dragons only remaining, Ferro and Pyro.
No new Dragon, true.  I was thinking more as somebody else taking up the duties.  Could be one of the other two (hoarding Sirio's Power) or could be a Non-Dragon successor, with the implication that all the Dragons' Duties have slowly migrated to other creatures.  Since the Dragons used to be in charge of Season per WOJ, it could make sense that as they Die off other agents have ascended to their roles, somehow.   
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Eldest Gruff

• Posty McPostington
  • Alleged Sniper
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2015, 04:13:58 PM »
No new Dragon, true.  I was thinking more as somebody else taking up the duties.  Could be one of the other two (hoarding Sirio's Power) or could be a Non-Dragon successor, with the implication that all the Dragons' Duties have slowly migrated to other creatures.  Since the Dragons used to be in charge of Season per WOJ, it could make sense that as they Die off other agents have ascended to their roles, somehow.   

How do we reconcile Ferro caring about Sirio dying then? Separate WOJ attributes his reaction to basically 'Ferro would not have cared about some little D dragon nobody'. That being the case, if someone did step up to ascend to the role or duties then what does it matter to him if Sirio died? Coupled with the third WOJ that you essentially can't just go around saying you killed a Dragon because those in power will think you're insane...upsetting the 'status quo'...that if someone else took the role it ought not to matter.

Which is also why I don't like the idea of Dragon's being mantles. Too many ppl per in-book reaction and WOJ seem to be averse to what happened to Siriothrax dying that it doesn't make sense if the role just got interchanged. No need to be as bent out of shape about it then.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2015, 05:11:26 PM »
I'd be curious to know just what Siriothrax was in charge of.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2015, 05:34:31 PM »
How do we reconcile Ferro caring about Sirio dying then? Separate WOJ attributes his reaction to basically 'Ferro would not have cared about some little D dragon nobody'.

Feelings of mortality?   If the various mantles that Dragons have been in charge of are moving to other creatures (e.g. Faeries/Angels), then I can totally see Ferro being apprehensive every time his species loses ground.  His lack of empathy toward lesser dragons might simply be because he views them as a "lesser species".
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html