Author Topic: Mistborn Powers List  (Read 2844 times)

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Mistborn Powers List
« on: June 14, 2015, 10:13:36 PM »
So the Request a Character thread kinda inspired me to adapt the Mistborn power sets to Fate. I've gotten four of the allomantic abilities done so far (Iron, Steel, Tin and Pewter) so I'm opening them up to judgement.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn Powers List
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 03:15:19 AM »
I dunno about this. I'm not sure what this approach has to offer that using existing Powers doesn't. And without some rules for metal supply, Flaring is basically just a free tag.

Then again, even with a free tag these are hardly overpowered. If anything they seem weak.

So yeah, I'm uninspired. These aren't terrible or anything, I just don't really see the point. I mean, you seemed to have non-Atium metals more or less down already.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 03:18:30 AM »
Hope I wasn't too discouraging. Because I'm actually pretty curious what you have in mind for Atium.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 06:33:16 AM »
Nah, just been busy the past week. I'll be putting more up over the course of this week and the weekend.

Also, I'm doing it for two reasons. First is to bring the costs/benefits more into line with each other. In the setting each power is pretty much as useful as the others, in varying contexts, but as it is we've got a hilariously high variance in the refresh costs of the powers. Secondly, each power has its own benefits/drawbacks that I don't think are easily mapped by the current power lists. Not a fault of the powers, of course, just that the Mistborn powers are different to Dresden ones on a fundamental level.

I've been working on the mental metals a bit so I'll be posting up those in the next day or so.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 03:48:54 PM »
Okay, here are the mental metal write ups. Looking at these, I think I may go back and improve the physical metals a bit. Allomancers are supposed to be superhuman in their given field but I don't get that impression looking at the ones I've already written. Also, I'd forgotten about Allomancer Savants, which should be a separate power along the same lines as Lawbreaker. The Slowburn trapping of Tin allomancy is more of a Savant thing than a normal Tineye ability.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Theogony_IX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 05:47:59 PM »
The cost on these seems a bit too high, imo.  -4 to be a Smoker when -3 gives you Thaumaturgy.  I'm seeing your math and it adds up, but I'm not sure the math you're using is the right kind of math for these powers.  I think the most I would make a single allomantic metal cost is -2.  Some may be better at -1.  To me, they fall closer to Channeling or Ritual than to Incite Effect.  For Mistborn, I'd probably handle it closer to Evo and Thaum together offering Specializations in metals to reflect experience/talent in using them.

Pewter might be a different story and might be better modeled with some of the building block effects, but I think you can still get it down to -2 with an appropriate Catch effect in the power.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 06:18:17 PM »
I'm not aiming to make this fit in to the same cost scheme as DFRPG. The costs are relevant to the other powers, rather than to DF powers.

EDIT: Also, unlike in DFRPG the powers in the Mistborn setting are fairly rigid. It's incredibly difficult, not to mention dangerous, to try to gain new powers. Mostly because doing so puts you under the influence of an evil god.

Looking at it again, however, I can see an argument for lowered costs giving players more options when creating characters. As it is Compounders would be pretty much impossible for default refresh games. I'll give it some thought over the rest of the week.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 09:59:46 PM by PirateJack »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 11:34:48 PM »
I'm not aiming to make this fit in to the same cost scheme as DFRPG. The costs are relevant to the other powers, rather than to DF powers.

I don't think that's a good idea. The standard Power power level makes Powers, Stunts, and free Refresh all viable choices. If you make Powers significantly weaker, they'll lose out to Stunts and Fate Points.

So far you've written five -4 Powers, two -3 Powers, and one -6 Power. That's 32 Refresh altogether. Since a Mistborn can burn 17 metals, at this rate being a Mistborn is going to cost almost 70 Refresh.

But if you put a Mistborn using these Powers against a 70 Refresh mortal, the mortal will obliterate them with embarrassing ease.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 01:39:34 AM »
I don't think that's a good idea. The standard Power power level makes Powers, Stunts, and free Refresh all viable choices. If you make Powers significantly weaker, they'll lose out to Stunts and Fate Points.

So far you've written five -4 Powers, two -3 Powers, and one -6 Power. That's 32 Refresh altogether. Since a Mistborn can burn 17 metals, at this rate being a Mistborn is going to cost almost 70 Refresh.

But if you put a Mistborn using these Powers against a 70 Refresh mortal, the mortal will obliterate them with embarrassing ease.

Like I said, I'm thinking about the costs.

The real problem is that Mistborns are still hilariously expensive even if you make every Misting power [-1] refresh. It gets worse if you try to future-proof as well, because there's the suggestion that every metal can be alloyed with each of the two god-metals, which Mistborn would have the ability to use. That's a theoretical total of 51 different metals, each with its own distinct ability. Even with just the 13 metals that were 'known' at the time of the first novel you're looking at being unplayable at the default refresh rate.

That's also before we get into Twinborn, Hemalurgy and Compounder territory. Suffice it to say that Mistborn are an incredibly expensive class to play as even if you cost things conservatively. I shudder to think how much refresh it would cost to stat the Lord Ruler.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 01:48:37 AM »
The cost doesn't have to scale linearly, though. Evocation gives three elements, each of which would cost 2 Refresh on its own, for 3 Refresh. Plus it gives a specialization and the right to buy more.

That's fair because having three elements isn't actually three times as good as having one. The same seems to apply here, so maybe you could use the same approach.

Offline Theogony_IX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 06:05:52 PM »
Yeah, that seems like the best option to me as well.  Having Iron isn't terribly different than having Steel except for a matter of strategy.  Granted, having them together allows you to do some pretty cool things that neither can do alone, but nothing outside of what you can do with Evocation.  I'd have mistborn cost -6 and each misting cost either -1 or -2, most at -1.

I might even consider separating the god metals into their own power, even for mistborn, considering how strong they are.

You could also manage metal reserves with a stress track . . . maybe.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 06:22:46 PM »
Nah, metals are better represented through compels than through anything else. The only times it comes up in the novels are when it's dramatically appropriate. Atium is the only one that you really have to worry about, which could plausibly be modelled with a stress track, but I still think it makes more sense to have it work through compels as well.

Besides, the only times you're going to use Atium are when you need to curbstomp a whole load of baddies at once, or you're up against another Mistborn or Inquisitor. Anyway, it's not as though the other metals are particularly rare.

Everything in Luthadel (the capital city and setting of the Final Empire) is geared towards getting these metals. The Lord Ruler even made his capital there because of the abnormally high concentration of metals in the groundwater, which helps to both supply his nobleman allomancers and spot Skaa Mistings/Mistborn who instinctively burn their metal.

Anyway, I've given it a lot of thought and I agree with Theogony_IX. I think I'll adjust the costs of the powers down to -1/-2, though I think just being Mistborn is enough to warrant a higher refresh rate than -6. Mostly because I'm thinking of making Mistborn capable of use multiple metals at once in the same manner as Extra Appendages.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 08:07:50 PM »
Handling the metal requirement through Compels is fine as long as you're prepared to

a) give people a fate point every time they don't use atium (or whatever) in a situation where it would be useful
b) let them spend a fate point to ignore your Compel and use atium (or whatever) anyway
and
c) remove stuff like Flaring X that gives you a benefit for consuming metal faster.

Are you?

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 10:11:45 PM »
Hmm. Okay, let's think.

a) That's fine by me. Voluntarily weakening yourself in a situation where you may need it is something I highly encourage my players to do. Fate points are their reward for this.

b) Also fine. Part of the Fate economy.

c) This is a thing. The idea I had was that, essentially, flaring a metal would be an encouragement for the GM to compel that player into losing access to his power after a while. Pretty basic reasoning and utilisation of the Fate economy. Now I'm wondering whether a stress track would be more beneficial. The aspect is important, though, because there are a bunch of things that are only really compellable through it. Tineyes, for instance, have incredibly heightened senses when flaring their tin. They're also much more vulnerable to bright lights, loud noises and pain in general.

Perhaps it could work with a stress track.

Burning a metal gives you the standard benefits to your senses and running out is handled through compels. Flaring the metal creates the aspect and gives you a new stress track of X boxes that you can't use consequences for (it would have to be variable between metals; even flaring tin would not use it up at the same rate burning Atium does - maybe 2 for Atium, 3 for Pewter, 6 for Tin). One stress box is filled every round you are flaring your metal. The Taken Out effect of using all the stress boxes is that you lose access to that metal for the rest of the scene or until you Declare that you have more of the metal (or have a relevant aspect that you can invoke for effect).

Not entirely sure what level of effect that should have, however. I'm hovering between opening up 2 stress boxes for use and cleaning the stress track completely. I'm not sure which would be more balanced. Thoughts?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 11:38:27 PM »
A stress track seems needlessly complex, especially when you're a Mistborn with like six metals active.

Maybe flaring could just give a new Aspect with one free Invoke and one free Compel.