Author Topic: Conspiracy Theories?  (Read 4302 times)

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
Conspiracy Theories?
« on: May 22, 2015, 02:06:54 PM »
I have a player who's made a Vanilla Human who is a c-list actor from an old sci-fi show who has turned conspiracy theorist.

Last night he was describing the character to someone else as "take Shatner and mix him with the Tim Allen character from GalaxyQuest with a little bit of DC's Question thrown in". One of his possessions is a journal that he keeps his theories written in.

My plan is to seed his journal with clues for my plans for the campaign, but I need to throw in red herrings. I was wondering if anyone would like to make suggestions (no matter how crackpot they may be).

Appreciate any suggestions.
"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Conspiracy Theories?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 02:27:46 PM »
I have a runecasterwho has a "mundane" job as a DNR officer; among other Aspects is "Actually, Bigfoot IS real."  Given the lore surrounding many lakes and forests, BECs (Black-Eyed Children) and Slenderman (Human thought giving potential reality to a deliberately constructed urban myth?), I'm sure something can rear its ugly head.  I like going to my older sourcebooks for generic games for ideas.
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 02:39:06 PM »
good idea... I have tons of old RPG books (a lot being paranormal) I should be able to find some good ones. Have also been searching conspiracy theory websites for ideas.
"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 02:55:28 PM »
Unknown Armies is probably the best RPG for this kind of thing. If you don't have the books, this site ought to help.

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 02:58:23 AM »
The plastic tips on the end of shoelaces are called aglets.  Their purpose is sinister...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFk1Es_nR5k

Offline regitnui

• Conversationalist
  • -R-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 11:36:09 AM »
<insert popular food brand here> is people.

They feed off your suffering. They must be fed,

On Wizardry:[/b]
There's basically nothing a Wizard couldn't do, given enough time, power, and moral flexibility. 

/\   /\
\'!'/

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 01:48:29 PM »
TO steal a joke I think I saw from the sjgames forums:  "Soylent Clear.  Clearly, less dye.  Clearly, less people."
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Steed

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 02:32:02 AM »
Did you know that the White Court, the despair ones, have a deal going with the Zeta Reticulans to feed off the despair abduction victims feel as they struggle futilely to make the world believe what they've been through?

The president's a Changeling.  I shit you not man, I've seen the real birth certificate.

They tell you the Illuminati doesn't exist.  I tell you, look at the wizards, look at all they can do, and then wonder what might happen if a few of them got fed up with the no-politics rule.  Food for thought, dear viewers, food for thought.

Now, I'm not saying George Romero's a Black Court plant, but...

The Gatekeeper is Lovecraft.  You ever see the two of them in the same room?  Didn't think so.

This Harry Dresden guy is White Council propaganda.  Don't believe me?  Look at that guy's reputation.  Nobody could really be that crazy.

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 02:21:01 AM »
The Gatekeeper is Lovecraft.  You ever see the two of them in the same room?  Didn't think so.

Slightly off topic, related: In my game, I've named Lovecraft and Tolkein as wizards and Walt Disney as a warlock whom the Wardens have had to take out three times (he seems to keep coming back...).
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 01:38:13 PM »
Look up Disney Urban Legends and you'll find fun and creepy stuff about Disney...

Offline jftravis

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 08:02:34 AM »
Heh, if you want a purely homegrown one that I'll be using in my own game, feel free to use Forethought Technologies, Inc.

I leave you to tweak this however you will for your own game, but here's the nutshell version for my own game. Forethought is the meaning of the name Prometheus. Rather than the Greek titan, it refers to Mary Shelley's book, Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus. Forethought Technologies, Inc. is owned entirely by the insane biomancer, Victor Von Frankenstein, under another name.

Why is this even in my game? Because one of my players wanted to play a "magical construct that became self-aware". He's Frankenstein's original creation, now known by the name "Deucalion"... the mythical son of Prometheus.  :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 03:36:39 AM by jftravis »
You say "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" like it's a bad thing...

Offline Steed

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 03:20:44 AM »
Heh, if you want a purely homegrown one that I'll be using in my own game, feel free to use Forethought Technologies, Inc.

I leave you to tweak this however you will for your own game, but here's the nutshell version for my own game. Forethought is the meaning of the name Prometheus. Rather than the Greek titan, it refers to Mary Shelley's book, Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus. Forethought Technologies, Inc. is owned entirely by the insane biomancer, Victor Von Frankenstein, under another name.

Why is this even in my game? Because one of my players wanted to play a "magical construct that became self-aware". He's Frankenstein's original creation, now known by the name "Deucalion"... the mythical son of Prometheus.  :)

Dude, is your player Dean Koontz?  ;D

Another one:  The US government employs warlocks, specifically psychomancers, to cover up any supernatural crises that become too public.  One minute a bunch of guys in black suits walk in, the next you have no idea what happened to the last day of your life but strangely, it doesn't bother you...

Offline jftravis

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 04:06:20 AM »
Dude, is your player Dean Koontz?  ;D

No, but I'd recently read Koontz's Frankenstein pentalogy, and had been tinkering with adding some of it to the upcoming game. When the player in question described what he was wanting to play... yeah, you can figure it out, from there.   8)

Another one:  The US government employs warlocks, specifically psychomancers, to cover up any supernatural crises that become too public.  One minute a bunch of guys in black suits walk in, the next you have no idea what happened to the last day of your life but strangely, it doesn't bother you...

And now I hear this in my head:

Jay: Did you ever flashy-thing me?
Kay: No.
Jay: I ain't playing with you, K. Did you ever flashy-thing me?

:P
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 04:11:38 AM by jftravis »
You say "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" like it's a bad thing...

Offline Steed

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 10:58:36 AM »
And now I hear this in my head:

Jay: Did you ever flashy-thing me?
Jay: I ain't playing with you, K. Did you ever flashy-thing me?

:P

Precisely what I was thinking of. ;D  Though obviously these guys would be a bit scarier, what with repeatedly doing things that twist their soul.  I suspect that'd be a high turnover job.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 01:51:22 AM »

Lovecraft's racism makes it hard for me to imagine a non-white person being him, to be honest.