Author Topic: Mental Toughness question  (Read 2685 times)

Offline Nominal

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Mental Toughness question
« on: May 16, 2015, 02:04:24 PM »
Does the armor provided by Mental Toughness reduce the amount of stress taken when casting the spell, to a minimum of 1?

Offline moireth

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Mental Toughness question
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 06:22:45 PM »
No, you're choosing to self-inflict stress upon yourself. You aren't the victim of a mental attack.
"The sparkmage shrieked, calling on the rage of the storms of his youth. To his surprise, the sky responded with a fierce energy he'd never thought to see again."

Offline Nominal

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 06:31:11 PM »
Cool, thx for the info.

Offline moireth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 06:33:58 PM »
No problem.
"The sparkmage shrieked, calling on the rage of the storms of his youth. To his surprise, the sky responded with a fierce energy he'd never thought to see again."

Offline Dougansf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 01:20:00 PM »
The power allows you to reduce casting strain.  It's why advanced casters can go longer with greater spells.

It's also why older wizards are hard to affect with mind magic, as mentioned in Turn Coat.

Offline moireth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 03:51:22 AM »
I thought self inflicted stress ignored armor?

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 06:18:51 PM »
My personal ruling would be that the armor doesn't reduce casting stress, but the extra stress boxes are usable.  ...Which is kinda annoying, since my ruling for physical toughness / recovery powers is that self-inflicted stress from casting always counts as the catch and neither armor nor stress boxes would apply.  But since the mental toughness powers are explicitly supposed to represent better spellcasting, the stress boxes at least have to usable.

Offline Dougansf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 07:23:45 PM »
I thought self inflicted stress ignored armor?

That was certainly the ruling for the Conviction stunt that gave armor vs mental attacks.  But this Power description seems to allow it.  Especially considering the prerequisite powers.

Offline Theogony_IX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 08:08:04 PM »
The power states that you have Armor:1 versus all mental attacks.  Taking mental stress from spellcasting is not an attack, so the armor would not apply.

Offline coboney

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 12:41:32 AM »
My view is the armor is meant to represent the fact that inverse older wizards are harder to influence with mind magic.

The stress boxes make you better at dishing it out longer (as does presumably improved skills)

Offline moireth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 01:34:05 AM »
I understand  that but RAW says armor 1 against mental ATTACKS, choosing to cast a spell is not a mental attack.
The older wizards also have specializations and focus items that help them draw more power before tiring out.

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 07:04:36 PM »
My view is the armor is meant to represent the fact that inverse older wizards are harder to influence with mind magic.

This. The armor protects against outside forces, not yourself.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 01:07:01 AM »
This. The armor protects against outside forces, not yourself.

i generally let all the healing and toughness abilities you pay for work on all stress, even self induced. You pay for it it represents an advantage you should be able to use for whatever.