Author Topic: Where we are along the pipeline to release?  (Read 3631 times)

Offline Old-Leaky

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Where we are along the pipeline to release?
« on: May 01, 2015, 08:06:19 AM »
So perhaps you folks will know more than me.  Jim wrote "The End." A while back now.  So where are we from there?  Secondary or Tertiary drafts?  Final edits?  Early phase of printing and distribution?  I would like to know.  We've seen a cover, but what does that mean?  Obviously when they have a release date we'll be notified.  As a fan and an aspiring author myself I'd love to know more about this part of the release process.  Discuss my compatriots! Discuss!  ;D

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: Where we are along the pipeline to release?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 12:59:29 PM »
End of September.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline HatBox Ghost

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 01:31:43 AM »
Amazon  delivery date shows Oct 5th for me. So probably in bookstores right at end of September or first couple days of October.     :)

Offline Old-Leaky

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 11:49:18 PM »
I understand that we have some dates, but what I'm asking specifically is what exactly is happening behind the scenes?  Is the book finished and getting it's print run? is it finished but yet to be in print.  Is Jim still working on some edits? is the publisher deciding on the actual dimensions of the hardback and the paperback?  Are they using the book to launder cocaine money for the financing of a mole people invasion?   What exactly is going on with the book in this phase of pre-release?

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 11:25:49 AM »
Book's finished and has passed the copyedit stage. That's all we know. The publication process after that is a bit opaque, but there are a lot of moving parts involved.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 03:40:02 AM »
Amazon  delivery date shows Oct 5th for me. So probably in bookstores right at end of September or first couple days of October.     :)

Apparently the Kindle release date is Sept. 29th... that's what the pre-order thing says.

Offline Old-Leaky

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 06:50:40 AM »
Book's finished and has passed the copyedit stage. That's all we know. The publication process after that is a bit opaque, but there are a lot of moving parts involved.

It's a shame that it is so "opaque" as you say.  Mr Butcher is really good at explaining writing as a job, but this is something he hasn't touched on yet.  I should rename this thread "What happens between book finished and release?" or some such.  I'm looking forward to the book very much.

Offline jib

• Participant
  • International Woman of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 01:42:16 PM »
As a professional writer, translator and copy-editor I can say, that getting a book ready for publication takes a certain amount of time. That's just the way it is. There are several processes that come after copy-editing. The text has to be typeset and proofread before it can be printed and finally distributed. And of course it's also a question of marketing and planning on the side of a publisher. Often enough publication dates have to be postponed because something isn't working out the way it was planned. I've witnessed some crazy stuff since I started working in this field, believe me. Right now, for example, I'm still waiting for a text I'm supposed to translate. The people in charge announced I would get it by the end of March. Now it's June and I'm still waiting. The author finished it months ago, but obviously there's still some work to be done with it. Good thing I've got lots of other stuff to do in the meantime. It's just like everything else in life. September will come soon enough. Be patient, people, and enjoy the thrill of anticipation  :)
If the apocalypse comes, beep me!