Author Topic: Are Vamps and Werewolves too overdone?  (Read 17154 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Are Vamps and Werewolves too overdone?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 02:30:34 PM »
We need more FAE...Seelie and Unseelie Court. To date, the only place I've seen this come up is Jim's work, Matt Wagner's Mage,Delint's Jack the Giant Killer...and my unpublished stuff.

For what it's worth, there's Emma Bull's War for the Oaks, and Kara Dalkey's Steel Rose which is pretty much a direct response to the Bull.  Both very good books.

Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
  • I like crows and ravens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 12:01:04 AM »
Most of the ideas I have with vampires and werewolves have them being the trouble makers. They have come to believe their own PR that they are the "Lords of the Night", something that many of the other supernaturals like to dis-abuse them of.
Clarke's Third Law: Sufficently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Niven's Converse to Clarke's 3rd Law: Sufficently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 12:50:49 AM »
We need more FAE...Seelie and Unseelie Court. To date, the only place I've seen this come up is Jim's work, Matt Wagner's Mage,Delint's Jack the Giant Killer...and my unpublished stuff.

There's so much more to the mythos than bloody elves.
Hmm, mine revolves around the Sidhe coming to 'reclaim' the earth.
Atlantis and Avalon pop up too.
I figured while I'm minign the mythos, I should go full throttle :)
God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 14

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 01:47:53 PM »
For what it's worth, there's Emma Bull's War for the Oaks, and Kara Dalkey's Steel Rose which is pretty much a direct response to the Bull.  Both very good books.

Oh! I've read both of those. Good books.

Nobody's cuter than Prince.

BTW, Emma Bull is not what you'd expect in real life. She's like an american version of Emma Thompson, and charming as hell. She has a new book in the works, btw.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline Kiriath

• Conversationalist
  • We rise or fall...
    • View Profile
    • Sa Souvraya Niende Misain Ye
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 09:58:18 PM »
There's more Fae than that! :)

How about Holly Black's Tithe and its sequels.
Laurell Hamilton's Merry Gentry...
Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely, which had a lot of advertising on Locus's website for a while.

EDIT: Or do you mean fae that's not young adult? That's more rare to find...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 10:12:32 PM by Kiriath »
Dr. Juruna: What doth it profit a man to gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul?
Dr. Haas: Well, he profits by one entire world for starters...
A Miracle of Science

Bonded to the Traveler of the Ways

Offline Cyclone Jack

• Conversationalist
  • Hallucinatin' Hack
    • View Profile
    • Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2007, 12:39:23 AM »
I'm conciously attempting to avoid all mytho-folklore tropes in the fantasy work I'm doing now. This is beastly, bitchily hard considering that the very structure of storytelling is bound up with those tropes.

It can be done, though. LeGuin's mid 70's and early 80's short work, Jeff Ford's entire career. Jeff VanderMeer, Hal Duncan and Steph Swainston also labor in this particular garden.

My...hmm, direction may be the best term...at the moment is a sort of focused use of the unexplained as both a reflection of and map through various human conditions, which are then distilled through the individual characteristics of normalized characters. The responses of everyday folk faced with 'reality unmasked; naked and with no excuse' to quote a work-in-progress (Meeting The Last Man On Earth, For Coffee: A Raincheck) functions as a form of hyperactive allegory. The metaphor rests not in the description, but in the interpretation of events and facts that fit no previous dataset.

All an experiment of course. Hell, I once wrote an entire story just to see if I could make a ridiculously convoluted plot make sense with no explanation whatsoever. I'd seen other writers do it and wondered if I could. Not to be snobbish, but the great joy of not writing to sell is that I get to pay attention to no voice but those that babble in my own head. :)

ETA: Oddly enough, the decision to use a framework of a completely unreliable universe teeming with unexplainable events has produced my most realistic stories ever. Might be a lesson in that. :P
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 03:37:51 AM by Cyclone Jack »
But I'm still right here,
    giving blood, keeping faith,
and I'm still right here.

-- Tool, The Patient

Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
  • I like crows and ravens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2007, 03:43:23 AM »
There's more Fae than that! :)

How about Holly Black's Tithe and its sequels.
Laurell Hamilton's Merry Gentry...
Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely, which had a lot of advertising on Locus's website for a while.

EDIT: Or do you mean fae that's not young adult? That's more rare to find...

I would also recommend Yasmine Galenorn's Daughters of the Moon series. I like her version of the Otherwold, and that there is more then one race of Fairy.
Clarke's Third Law: Sufficently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Niven's Converse to Clarke's 3rd Law: Sufficently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.

Offline RMatthewWare

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The wonderful world of bloggery
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2007, 11:22:54 PM »
Nothing is new.  It's the way you present that can be new.  Anything BAD is overdone.  But you could write something about elves and if it's good, no one will complain.

For Fae stories, Holly Black is good:  Tithe, etc.

Harry Potter, Harry Dresden, Dresden Dolls?

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2007, 11:28:56 PM »
RMatt--any interest on the publishing end?  Wishing you the best!

Could not believe another series that uses the term, "Otherworld".  I thought I was being clever.  Yeah about as clever as fried hamburgers.  Put the thinking cap on Meg....
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline RMatthewWare

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The wonderful world of bloggery
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 02:04:13 PM »
RMatt--any interest on the publishing end?  Wishing you the best!

Still working on it.  An agent is still (after two months) reviewing my manuscript.  No faeries in this one, though.  I'd like to work on a fae novel sometime.
Harry Potter, Harry Dresden, Dresden Dolls?

Offline fivestyle

• Posty McPostington
  • I like Coke and cold showers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007, 04:40:07 PM »
Just this morning I was thinking about how almost all the real famous monsters have their beginig mythos tale. For instance Vampires have Dracula and zombies/undead have Frankenstein. But Werewolves don't really have one.

So on the way to work I was contemplating how one could create a begining to the Vampire legend.
So far the best I've come up with is sort of build off of Jim's examples of werewolves in Fool Moon and more so on Norse mythology. Where the story takes place about a Viking (said to be son of odin)having a run in with Fenresiflr(sp?) and killing him. Loki distraught over his sons death curses the viking to walk the earth bearing the mark of the wolf which causes the soul of Fenresiflr to posses the vikings body at each full moon.

Offline Cyclone Jack

• Conversationalist
  • Hallucinatin' Hack
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2007, 06:38:26 PM »
Just this morning I was thinking about how almost all the real famous monsters have their beginig mythos tale. For instance Vampires have Dracula and zombies/undead have Frankenstein. But Werewolves don't really have one.

Actually, vampires and the undead predate those Victorian novels by hundreds of years. Thousands in the case of African folklore.

Werewolves have just as long a historical/folklore tradition. The beserkers of Viking lore, the Romanian varcolak, similar beasts in almost every European tradition. Lycanthropy is a Greek word, and comes from the legend of Lycaon -- a man cursed with becoming a wolf after indulging in cannabalism.

-- Tool, The Patient

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2007, 06:46:03 PM »
Speaking of greek, although modern vampires and eastern vampires have been done to death, how about the tradional vampires, the Lamia and the Vrykolas?

Lamia: Female vampire/ demon, ancient meditaranain.. lots of stories, many of them conflicting. A vampire that turned to a shadow by day? Or sucked blood thru the soles of men's feet as the walked over her grave?

Vrykolas: A 'temporary' vampire, could be called from the grave, was someone who died leaving a major promise unkept. Could be called forth by the promised one, and forced to fullfill the oath..

The oldest stories ussually involve a young man promising to care for a younger sister, only to be killed and the girl kidnapped. the elderly granmother forces the man to rise from the grave to find his sister...

Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Cyclone Jack

• Conversationalist
  • Hallucinatin' Hack
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2007, 06:56:42 PM »
Speaking of greek, although modern vampires and eastern vampires have been done to death, how about the tradional vampires, the Lamia and the Vrykolas?

Lamia: Female vampire/ demon, ancient meditaranain.. lots of stories, many of them conflicting. A vampire that turned to a shadow by day? Or sucked blood thru the soles of men's feet as the walked over her grave?

Vrykolas: A 'temporary' vampire, could be called from the grave, was someone who died leaving a major promise unkept. Could be called forth by the promised one, and forced to fullfill the oath..

The oldest stories ussually involve a young man promising to care for a younger sister, only to be killed and the girl kidnapped. the elderly granmother forces the man to rise from the grave to find his sister...

Good stuff, ms! Far more interesting than the beat-to-death 'I am the sensual doomed Euro-boy. Fear my angsty hunger!' :P

-- Tool, The Patient

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2007, 07:16:25 PM »
A couple of yers agao I came up with a 'is it a vampire test' for Ad&d.. went kinda like this..

Does:
 He/She speak french?

Wear Black?

Have hair impossibly long?

Obviously Bisexual?

Sigh with angst on uneccacary occasions?

Cant tell if he/she is a he/she or it? Double points for answer c: all of the above.

In a modern setting, have ridulous ammounts of firearms, or know someone who does?

Are they related to a well known historical figure?

Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky