Author Topic: Building a Devil's Trap and Anti-Possession Tattoos  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Druidstorm890

• Participant
    • View Profile
Building a Devil's Trap and Anti-Possession Tattoos
« on: February 21, 2015, 06:42:37 PM »
I enjoy a lot of the "magic" of Supernatural. Some of my favorites is the Devil Trap and the Anti Possesion Tattoos. So what would be the best way to convert them to the Dresden Files?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Building a Devil's Trap and Anti-Possession Tattoos
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 07:41:28 PM »
I haven't watched a lot of Supernatural so I'm not sure if I'm figuring it out right.

Anti-possession tattoos could be done as a ritual or an enchanted item that creates a block against mental attacks.

Demon Trap could be a Ward keyed to demons with a trigger that traps the demon in a circle (block on movement or specified actions).

Offline MadAlchemist

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 09:13:50 PM »
I would do the tattoos as a stunt giving something like +3-4 to discipline to defend against possession. This method allows pure mortals to get them and doesn't require much attention in play. It could also be done with Immunity with a high rebate.

Offline Druidstorm890

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 10:45:25 PM »
I would do the tattoos as a stunt giving something like +3-4 to discipline to defend against possession. This method allows pure mortals to get them and doesn't require much attention in play. It could also be done with Immunity with a high rebate.
What would be the refresh cost for that 2 or 3?

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 11:02:07 PM »
I'd just make them an aspect. Spend a fate point to invoke.  They don't come up that often.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 11:36:38 PM »
What would be the refresh cost for that 2 or 3?

Just 1. Stunts can give big bonuses if the area of applicability is narrow enough. And in most games, demonic possession comes up rarely or not at all.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 09:02:46 PM »
To me, both of those are plot devices, not powers.

The devils trap is worthless if you can't lure the demon inside. But if you can lure a demon inside, it stays there, no question asked. So I would work with that, having a contest or a social conflict talking while luring the demon, and "trapped in a devil trap" is simply the taken out result. Or you could do some sort of ambush/stealth/deceit thing to make the demon fall for the disguised devil trap. And whenever a devil trap breaks, that's a perfect example of a compel, I think.

The tattoos are mainly there to get away from the "brother gets possessed, other brother forces demon out, rinse, repeat" routine. The two were possessed quite a bit in the early seasons, but that gets boring after a while. So the tattoos are less a power and more a "we've done this more than enough, let's focus on something else" sort of thing. A social contract for the table, what the game is going to be about in the future. And if everyone at the table is sick of the "brother gets possessed" storyline, it's an easy fix to say they can no longer be possessed, because... tattoos!
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 07:28:56 AM »
As Haru said: aspects, invokes, and compels handle this plenty well for most games.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline TwinFlower

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 05:57:44 PM »
Devil trap, thaurmagty (you get what I mean) a block/grapple within demonlogy, the books states demonolgy states it can be used against demons.

Anti-possession tattoos, -2 refresh supernatrual power +4 to resist possession. How I would stat it at least.