Poll

Who attacked Arctis Tor?  What was their motivation?  

The Circle
11 (21.2%)
The Outsiders/Nemesis (formerly known as the Black Council)
31 (59.6%)
The Red Court
0 (0%)
The Fomor
2 (3.8%)
A faction attacking while Maeve was in charge, so that she could sabotage the defenses
8 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: Who Attacked Arctis Tor, and Why  (Read 71061 times)

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Who Attacked Arctis Tor, and Why
« Reply #180 on: February 26, 2015, 03:14:55 AM »
Even so. Kringle is a trickster deity in disguise, remember ?

Ah, so we're back to your favourite pose of 'everyone is lying to Harry any time something happens that contradicts my theory'. Good to know.

Offline brighellac

• Conversationalist
  • Butters' next great quest
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 26, 2015, 03:23:13 AM »
Ah, so we're back to your favourite pose of 'everyone is lying to Harry any time something happens that contradicts my theory'. Good to know.

Commence trolling

It's the IN Harry who always get lied to.  The OUT Harry gets the straight scoop at all times

End trolling

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 26, 2015, 03:24:36 AM »
I like it.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 03:30:42 AM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 26, 2015, 03:31:59 AM »

No, we're on my long-established position of "Odin says whatever he wants to attain the end he wants and its relation to truth is immaterial, because he's a trickster deity and that goes with the territory."

If you want to claim I think everyone is lying to Harry, find an example where I've said it about Michael.  Or Sanya. Or Mab. Heck, even Murphy would do.  Otherwise, please stop treating my reasoned assessment of the differing reliability of different characters in the series as if it was either "everyone always lies" or cherrypicking for convenience.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 26, 2015, 03:49:57 AM »
I'm not saying that you think everyone is lying to Harry. I'm saying that whenever someone provides something from the text that runs counter to whatever theory you're arguing for, your default response it "that isn't evidence that I'm wrong, it just proves that that character is lying/Harry is misinterpreting that/Jim is tricking us/whatever".

Which is especially ridiculous when the character in question (Kringle) is a Fae, and therefore physically incapable of lying.

Quite frankly it makes it near impossible to have any sort of reasonable discussion with you because you fit the evidence to your conclusion, rather then drawing a conclusion from the evidence.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 03:58:12 AM by forumghost »

Offline Carl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 26, 2015, 05:52:56 AM »
Which is especially ridiculous when the character in question (Kringle) is a Fae, and therefore physically incapable of lying.

That only applies to sidhe.

ebliss hit the nail on the head IMO. Mab's got major issues to deal with at the gates and just cannot afford to have people stabbing her in the back.
Possibly Ivy and Molly's biggest fan, i'm too chivalrous and kind for my own damm good. A bit like a certain Wizard we all know :).

Molly should get this shirt.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 26, 2015, 06:08:52 AM »
That only applies to sidhe.

ebliss hit the nail on the head IMO. Mab's got major issues to deal with at the gates and just cannot afford to have people stabbing her in the back.
And when Odin is acting as Kringle, he's likely held by Winter Law or something like it.  There's a chance that he can't lie as Kringle.  It makes sense, really.  If the Fae mantles' natures are determined by human faith, then Kringle probably can't outright lie.

Harry can still lie because he's mortal and has free will.  I'm not sure that Odin really does.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 26, 2015, 06:18:50 AM »
Oh, I have no doubt that Odin can lie. He's famous for being a trickster and a manipulator. One of his Names is "Oathbreaker".

But Kringle =/= Odin. Kringle is a Fae, and has to obey Fae rules. I also suspect that as Kringle he's vulnerable to Iron, but as Odin he isn't.

Offline Acalanthis

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 26, 2015, 06:59:58 AM »
One of his Names is "Oathbreaker".

I'd forgotten about that tidbit until now.  Wonder how Jim's going to play it out in-story?  After all, one keeping one's oath is hugely important in Dresden's world.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 26, 2015, 03:23:30 PM »
Oh, I have no doubt that Odin can lie. He's famous for being a trickster and a manipulator. One of his Names is "Oathbreaker".
But Kringle =/= Odin. Kringle is a Fae, and has to obey Fae rules. I also suspect that as Kringle he's vulnerable to Iron, but as Odin he isn't.

That strikes me as an assertion that thus far has not one shred of proof.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 26, 2015, 04:46:17 PM »
That strikes me as an assertion that thus far has not one shred of proof.
As Kringle he is a winter king and subject to Mab. Woj calls him a winter king and a specific aspect of winter, a more benevolent one.

Harry would be wise to work via Kringle and not Odin, it is probably safer that way.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 26, 2015, 05:00:58 PM »
As Kringle he is a winter king and subject to Mab.

Winter King, yes. Subject to mab ? I thought we had a WoJ somewhere that the Faerie Kings aren't technically subjects to their Queens, just generally go along with them because it's easier than making a fuss.

Offline Eldest Gruff

• Posty McPostington
  • Alleged Sniper
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 26, 2015, 05:05:47 PM »
Winter King, yes. Subject to mab ? I thought we had a WoJ somewhere that the Faerie Kings aren't technically subjects to their Queens, just generally go along with them because it's easier than making a fuss.

They have SOME latitude but they must be beholden to the Queens otherwise Kringle wouldn't have felt obliged to show up to Mac's in SG as anything.
"Home is where, when you go there and tell people to get out, they have to leave." DDS

Offline Acalanthis

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 26, 2015, 06:15:12 PM »
They have SOME latitude but they must be beholden to the Queens otherwise Kringle wouldn't have felt obliged to show up to Mac's in SG as anything.

I think that the distinction is that while the "Summer King", the Erlking, is nominally affiliated with Summer but is in reality a major lord of the Wyldfae, the "Winter King" is actually a member of Mab's court, hence why she can order him around.  At the same time, ol' Kringle is allowed latitude to act outside of the rules and restrictions of the Winter Fae in his role as Donar Vadderung, CEO of Monoc Securities, which is about as separate from the Fae as you can get.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 26, 2015, 06:44:26 PM »

Remind me where in the text it says he was obliged to show up ?