Author Topic: Conjured or Environmental water  (Read 1727 times)

Offline Druidstorm890

• Participant
    • View Profile
Conjured or Environmental water
« on: February 05, 2015, 09:27:54 PM »
So this came up in a discussion with one of my players, who is a hydromancer. When one uses a water based evocation and the effect calls for water to be present like creating a mist. Is the water conjured by the spell or is it manipulating water that is present in the environment, such as in pipes, plants, in the air etc,?

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Conjured or Environmental water
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 09:43:55 PM »
Short answer: Whichever fits the character  8)

It could do either way, so it depends on the way the character view the magic as working.

Choosing to go with conjured water has the benefit of always being available, no matter how dry the environment is. Using the water present leaves yourself open for a lot more compels, as well as opens a lot more declarations, useable to influence the magic.
* "I bring forth a mist to hide my escape, lucky me that there's a Fountain full of Water just to the side!" [rolls alertness for the declaration to tag in spellcasting]
* "Boy would that mist you usually call forth have been really handy now, if it weren't for the two-week dry spell that's hit the place!" [slides player a fate point]

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 09:53:34 PM »
What he said.

Though I would like to add that conjuring water from the nevernever brings with it all kinds of chances for compels. Something could ride in with the water, overusing it could weaken the barrier between the worlds over time, and so forth.

Conjured water could also have the downside that the caster isn't used to regular water and has his spells washed away by regular water, which might not happen if he used regular water in the first place.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Druidstorm890

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 10:02:31 PM »
Using the water present leaves yourself open for a lot more compels, as well as opens a lot more declarations, useable to influence the magic.
* "I bring forth a mist to hide my escape, lucky me that there's a Fountain full of Water just to the side!" [rolls alertness for the declaration to tag in spellcasting]
* "Boy would that mist you usually call forth have been really handy now, if it weren't for the two-week dry spell that's hit the place!" [slides player a fate point]

While I agree that conjured water could be a thing, I prefer the above method. First because I like physics magic over not really explained magic. Second because it makes at least ffrom my point of view a better story.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 10:25:01 PM »
I'm playing a water mage and I usually narrate it as using ambient water in the environment, whether that's the air or pipes or whatever.

Pulling water out of the air could be a good excuse to make declarations like "dry and cracked"  or, even similar maneuvers.  Do things like Horrid Wilting...

My character carries a little green dollar-store water pistol with her.  It's a Power 4 attack enchanted item.  :)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 05:15:23 AM »
Figure out which fits the character "better," and go with that.

Add the other later, as part of growing in power -- the
hydromancer becomes moreversatile/robust/powerful/etc.

As noted above, each has advantages/disadvantages.  Being
able to choose either/or on the fly is a big win in power.

Or just allow the PC to choose as a starting PC, if the power-
level seems apt...