Author Topic: Statting up Intelluctus  (Read 1417 times)

Offline jackbythesea

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Statting up Intelluctus
« on: January 21, 2015, 03:13:13 AM »
So I was playing around with the idea of intelluctus and I decided to give a write up a shot. I know its been attempted on the forum before but I can't find those posts because the search engine isn't exactly the best. So thoughts, suggestions? Any and all comments are welcome.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 03:19:14 AM by jackbythesea »

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Statting up Intelluctus
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 05:16:17 PM »
Eh, I think -4 is way too expensive. I've got a PC with Intellectus in Central Park over at RagnarokNYC and we handled it as a -1 Supernatural Sense power and use it to make declarations w/ Lore....

Considering Demesne is a -1 power and lets you do everything you could do with Intellectus plus more, -1 is the most I'd pay for it. Unless your use of Intellectus comes up in every scene, it's definitely not worth -4. Maybe -2 as you have it written....but I prefer just setting it as a Supernatural Sense and calling it a day. Why make things more complicated than they need to be?
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline jackbythesea

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 06:54:31 PM »
Eh, I think -4 is way too expensive.
Maybe its too expensive for a different way to model things but for what I wrote I thought -4 was a fair pricing, maybe -3.

I've got a PC with Intellectus in Central Park over at RagnarokNYC and we handled it as a -1 Supernatural Sense power and use it to make declarations w/ Lore....
Perfectly valid way to do things, I just wanted a better way to represent the broad range of applications intelluctus can in a more mechanical way. Harry uses the power numerous times in the books to provide a critical advantage in the story. So much so, that in my opinion, it warrants more breadth than just Declarations.

Considering Demesne is a -1 power and lets you do everything you could do with Intellectus plus more, -1 is the most I'd pay for it. Unless your use of Intellectus comes up in every scene, it's definitely not worth -4. Maybe -2 as you have it written....but I prefer just setting it as a Supernatural Sense and calling it a day. Why make things more complicated than they need to be?
That's a good point, but Demesne is only applicable to one specific part of the Nevernever. Unless your adventure never leaves that one place than you aren't going to get too much utility out of the power either. But conceptually the power is very similar to Intelluctus and only costs -1.

I guess it really comes down to the utility of the power as you mention. There is a lot rolled up into what I have written, but if it is barely used than it might not be worth the refresh. It was more that I thought the ability had a broad range of applications that could be better modeled than with just Lore declarations.

So is it over complicating things? Maybe, but I've never run a game with intelluctus or tested this power. But thank you very much for you input  :)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 11:32:32 PM »
I know its been attempted on the forum before but I can't find those posts because the search engine isn't exactly the best.

Yo yo yo.

Three very different takes on Intellectus-like things.

So thoughts, suggestions? Any and all comments are welcome.

(click to show/hide)

Mixed feelings.

I think the Declaration bonus is appropriate, and I like the idea of using Intellectus to boost your non-knowledge skills.

Reducing knowledge rolls to difficulty 0 seems a bit odd, though. Why not just give automatic success? Do you want people with low skills to have a chance of failing? Also, you should probably make it clear that someone with Intellectus can make knowledge rolls that normal people can't even attempt.

All In Theory isn't worth anything. You could just spend that Invoke for a +2 bonus, instead of taking the +1 from a complementing skill. I suggest making it free.

Knowledge Is Power is neat, but there should be a limit on when you can use it. After all, not all kinds of Intellectus are useful in all situations. And with such a limit, I think it might be okay to allow it on attacks.