Author Topic: The Catch.  (Read 1997 times)

Offline Jim

• Participant
    • View Profile
The Catch.
« on: January 15, 2015, 03:42:15 PM »
Say I take Inhuman Recovery as a power and define a Catch for it. Then I take Supernatural Toughness and Physical Immunity.  Do each of those require their own catch, or do they all, collectively, just require at least one?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: The Catch.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 03:52:24 PM »
You take one Catch and it adds a blanket +'X' refresh bonus.

Physical immunity allows a stacked Catch.

Let's say your character is a scion of a Devil.

You could have:
-4 Supernatural Toughness
-2 Inhuman Recovery
+3 Catch: Holy  (I don't remember if Holy is +3 or +2)

Holy items bypass both toughness and recovery, so they have a single, combined catch.

This totals to - 3 refresh

Then you have
-8 Physical Immunity: Fire
+5 Catch: Anything other than Fire

Total refresh: -3

So your total refresh for this character, so far is: -6
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 03:53:55 PM by Taran »

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 03:54:48 PM »
The catch for Recovery would also count as the catch for Toughness. They're generally tied together that way. If you add on additional toughness powers, depending on what the catch is you might be able to get more of a rebate.

Physical Immunity is going to be a separate catch, which I think they call a Stacked Catch in the book (I don't have them on me, I'm going off of memory). So you could have Physical Immunity that is only pierced by Copper soaked in the blood of a virgin and then toughness/recovery that can only be satisfied by something Holy

Which means I'm going to keep around a copper knife dipped in the blood of a nun.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 04:00:02 PM »
Which means I'm going to keep around a copper knife dipped in the blood of a nun.

How did your surgeon character smuggle in a copper scalpel during that nuns appendectomy?

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 04:08:23 PM »
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Jim

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 04:09:27 PM »
Cool.  Thanks, everyone.

Anyone here use Hero Lab?  One  of the reasons I'm asking these questions is that I'm working on set of user files for Hero Lab.  Not quite done yet.  Might still be a couple weeks before it'll be presentable.

I'm planning to share it out for anyone who's interested.  It'll still have some shortcomings.  It won't have anywhere near full descriptions of skills, stunts and powers as I have to be mindful of copyright.  But it will be reasonably functional.

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 04:12:11 PM »
I use HeroLab for SR5 and M&M. I'd be interested in seeing what you get set up.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Jim

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 04:24:48 PM »
I will let you know.
One other thing: The default character sheet that Hero Lab uses for FATE Core won't work well with this.  It'll cut some things off.  You can still work off the output of the stat block, though.

Trying to figure out character sheet design is next on my list, but I've no idea how good of a job I'll be able to do there.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 07:44:44 PM »
Just as a note: you can, technically, have different catches for toughness / recovery.  But the rebate you get is only for things that would apply to both catches.

For example, if your toughness power can only be pierced by, say, high powered weaponry (defined as anything with weapon rating 3 or more), and your recovery power will heal you from all wounds save those caused by ice/cold, then the catch rebate is probably a +1*: to bypass your defensive powers basically requires ice magic, as nothing else ice/cold based is going to meet the required weapon rating.

_____
* Possibly plus another one for researchability.  Maybe +2 if it's totally obvious - a lava monster with a thick rocky skin might justify a +2 for researchability for the example catch.

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 02:30:17 AM »
That is certainly workable and most importantly makes narrative sense, but it's not RAW.
According to RAW the same catch always apply to all Toughness-power (of which Recovery are part atually) except Physical Immunity which can have its own Stacked Catch.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 05:54:47 PM »
Uhm... Yes it is?  The "same catch" in this case being, for the above example, "ice/cold effects of weapon rating 3 or more".  There's certainly no rule against adding extra limitations that you don't get a rebate for (and in fact that's often a good thing that gives you more chances to net fate points from compels on your aspects), so I really don't see why you'd argue against this based on "rules-as-written".