Author Topic: Rules for self-publishing  (Read 1562 times)

Offline slrogers

• Participant
  • Learning the art from those that love the dance...
    • View Profile
    • A blog of my own
Rules for self-publishing
« on: January 10, 2015, 01:29:31 PM »

Never give up, never surrender!

My book is currently part of a goodreads giveaway ( https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17231348-discipulus-secretus ). Just putting a book out there, or making any words public, is like putting a piece of yourself out for everyone to see and to criticize. It takes courage, humility, and really thick skin. It can be quite an emotional experience. I don't know if having a publisher helps with all of that or not, but doing it all on your own can be nerve racking. I have great admiration for everyone who has gotten there works out there, especially for those of you that do it with so much style that it makes it look almost effortless.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Re: Rules for self-publishing
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 11:57:09 AM »
The first time or three can be rough.  But after you get going it gets easier.  Still a bit nerve wracking but definitely more doable.  But I totally agree, Never give up, never surrender.

Writing your first book is a lot like ridding a bike.  Do it once and you can do it again.  Much like running your first mile, its still hard the second time you do it but  for all of that much more doable.  You've done it, you know you can do it, there's no more doubt about that.

Just keep after it everybody.  My advice is to write the 40 (40 books).  According to my calculations if we can just do that we should be able to retire down to 1-2 books a year just working to keep the series fresh enough that we can live off the residual.  Hahahahahha.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)