Author Topic: Question for Jim and others, “Yes or No, does the bear ever go away?”  (Read 8841 times)

Rashad 117

Re: Question for Jim and others, “Yes or No, does the bear ever go away?”
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 03:14:07 AM »
watched some special on The discovery channel recently about various species of bears and how they evolved. Said something along the lines that Polar bears evolved from the same Bear ancestor as grizzly bears. But both species are related to the weasel family distantly. Thousands of years ago grizzly bears evolved into Polar bears to better adjust to the arctic climate but polar bears are indeed bears. Their snouts became longer and their claws have more of a razor edge for killing walrus and seals. that's what was said on the show anyway.

Offline BjustaB

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 08:58:36 PM »
I just love this board! No where else does a group of people get off track in such creative or educational ways.  You guys are the best! :D

Barbara

Offline Hasufin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 07:50:39 PM »
Polar bears are one of the eight species of bears - the other seven being brown bears (grizzlies), black bears, sun bears, moon bears, spectacles bears, sloth bears, and panda bears.

This confusion might arise from the red panda, which is actually not a bear but more closely related to the raccoon - but nonetheless bears both morphological and behavioral similarities to the giant panda.

In response to the original question - I think having the bear go away would be the worst thing for an author. Insecurity is one of the side-effects of concern. The only way I know of the make the bear go away is to not care about the quality of the work.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 07:37:50 PM »
Polar bears are one of the eight species of bears - the other seven being brown bears (grizzlies), black bears, sun bears, moon bears, spectacles bears, sloth bears, and panda bears.

So I was also wrong in thinking Kodiak bears are a separate species ?  They're just really big grizzlies ?

Yes, I am a working computational biologist, but in a context that does not normally involve multicellular organisms.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline RMatthewWare

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The wonderful world of bloggery
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2007, 08:56:44 AM »
TO ANSWER THE QUESTION :)

No, whatever it is you call the destractions and the things that make you think can't write never go away.  It can be like "A Beautiful Mind", though.  If you pay it no attention it will just lurk on the edge of your senses.  It can only consume you if you let it.
Harry Potter, Harry Dresden, Dresden Dolls?

Offline BlueStocking

• Posty McPostington
  • Caution: May cause loud.
    • View Profile
    • I twitter :D
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2007, 02:34:08 AM »
Mine's not a bear so much as the internet.  And clothing websites.

And forums.

No, they never go away.  You have to yell at them really loud and shun them so you can get a few sentences out every hour or so. :D
"So, you're saying that if we don't do something, everything will go wonkytaters?"
"Umm...is wonkytaters a bad thing?"
"Yes."
"Then yes.  Everything will go wonkytaters."

Offline Ursiel

• Posty McPostington
  • Voy perdiendo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2007, 12:19:42 PM »
I have a bear bear. He likes to use my desk as a scratching post and he marks his territory on my bed ;-;
Now I stand, the lion before the lambs... and they do not fear.

ToddM326

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2007, 02:09:37 PM »
My bear is animatronic, with a cassette tape deck in his back.  He keeps me company, and reads me stories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teddy_Ruxpin

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2007, 08:03:20 PM »
I couldn't resist posting a photo of my friend's polar bears.  He took a trip to the Artic just to photograph polar bears. He shared some with me and said I could send your way!  Enjoy...
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Orissa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2007, 08:39:57 PM »
Wow!  Awesome picture!!  :)

Offline Cathy Clamp

• Participant
  • Dances with Segues
    • View Profile
    • C.T. Adams & Cathy Clamp Official Website
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2007, 12:37:54 AM »
I guess if you're considering the bear to be the part that tells you what you're writing is dreck and you'll never get better--I think that for a lot of us the best we can do is keep it caged. But we can't eliminate and, in fact, MUSTN'T eliminate it, because it's what keeps us growing as writers. Every book must become better, richer, stronger. Every sentence is more tightly worded and requires less editing by the publisher. My bear keeps me relevant and thoughtful about my work. It keeps me on my toes in a tough writing market.  ;D
Smiles!
Cathy Clamp
Touch of Evil, USA Today bestseller
Magic's Design, now available everywhere
COLD MOON RISING, coming soon, 8/09. Preorder today!
visit our website to read sample chapters--http://www.ciecatrunpubs.com

Offline Torvaldr

• Posty McPostington
  • The Morning Ogre
    • View Profile
    • Torvaldr's Leatherworks
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2007, 04:00:48 PM »
I don't have something that actively tries to discourage me. But there are plenty of times my muse seems to take a very prolonged vacation. Which is sometimes something of a relief. My muse is not gentle. When she says write she uses a 2X4 on me. That can be very distracting while driving.  :)
Hugs are my second favorite thing in the world. The first involves hugging, but is more vigorous.

Offline Jack_of_Names

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2007, 06:02:12 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_bear - Universal Knowledge Repository.

"According to both fossil and DNA evidence, the polar bear diverged from the brown bear roughly 200 thousand years ago" - Polar evolved from brown, so pretty closely related.

Offline RMatthewWare

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The wonderful world of bloggery
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2007, 05:20:26 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_bear - Universal Knowledge Repository.

"According to both fossil and DNA evidence, the polar bear diverged from the brown bear roughly 200 thousand years ago" - Polar evolved from brown, so pretty closely related.

Well why are we worried about global warming and the polar bear going extinct?  We'll just bread a new one from the brown bear.  I'm sure wikipedia has the correct dna sequencing and instructions on repeating the process.
Harry Potter, Harry Dresden, Dresden Dolls?

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2007, 05:23:09 PM »
Well why are we worried about global warming and the polar bear going extinct?  We'll just bread a new one from the brown bear.  I'm sure wikipedia has the correct dna sequencing and instructions on repeating the process.

And why worry about war and genocide? We can just breed more human beings from apes.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.