Author Topic: Standard Black Court 'hunter' equipment/items  (Read 2699 times)

Offline dmonty7990

• Participant
    • View Profile
Standard Black Court 'hunter' equipment/items
« on: November 18, 2014, 02:38:11 PM »
Lets hear it!

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Standard Black Court 'hunter' equipment/items
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 03:40:14 PM »
Garlic
Stakes
Fire
Symbols of Faith
An axe or sword

If possible, a Wizard would be useful as well.

There's not really much else to say. All of those things are mundane weapons against the Black Court, bar Faith, which depends entirely on the user.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 03:44:14 PM by PirateJack »
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 04:40:15 PM »
Any of the stuff brought along to the fight in BR would be good.  The paintball gun with garlic&holy water paintballs was pretty effective.  That weird spear that Kincaid had seems quite practical.  Beyond those listed that involve catches, anything that would apply to hunting a monster that is unwholesomely powerful in all regards.  I vote explosives
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 09:55:57 PM »
Of course the best option is always fire. Black Court tend to go for rundown buildings in poor neighbourhoods, generally tending to sleep underground. Pour a load of petrol down the stairs then set it on fire. Hey presto, instant vampire barbeque.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline sdfds68

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »
Standard as in 'Oh noes vampires are real and I have to kill them now!' or standard as in 'I hunt Black Court for a living and I love my job!'?

For the first, wood, garlic, more likely than not guns, knives and anything else a terrified person can scrounge up in a hurry.

For the second:

Catch satisfiers(Stakes, garlic, fire, a religious icon that can be used with a temporary or permanent Faith power, map showing the way to the nearest source of running water in case things go bad)

An armored vehicle of some kind to use as a mobile shelter

Dispersal agents (a shotgun with flamethrower shells, canisters of pressurized garlic water, holy water filled pressure washer,etc.)

Reliable mundane weaponry for unexpected enemies

First aid, maybe some impromptu surgical equipment for serious injuries

Shovel (for hiding bodies)

Custom armor (Throat protection is a must)

Fake licenses and IDs

Contact information to other hunters, survivors, researchers, anybody that knows and might know something useful, really

Extraordinarily bright lights with remote trigger, in case they have the chance to set up before a fight. Maybe mounted to the vehicle?

Friends, i.e. other hunters. That they have trained with before, preferably. Teamwork is the best equipment, particularly in DFRPG

Possibly, but less likely, the tools needed to create custom explosives. Why fight the BC when you can just explode them?

Offline dmonty7990

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 04:10:25 PM »
Thanks!

So with the current setting for our game being the 13th century and my character being a crusader, symbol of faith is a check and since he was trained to deal with black court he would likely have catch satisfiers as well. Would holy water have any effect? Or garlic water or anything like that? Trying to think up ways I can bottle something in vials to do damage at range.

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 04:43:03 PM »
I created a D&D Vampire Hunter that was also Crusader-ish. He had things like Symbols of his diety attached all around his armor and shield, he wore a gorget to protect against attacks on his neck. He also had holy water, a crossbow, a spear. He would often dip his weapons in holy water before going into battle.

Any items you use should either protect against vampire attacks or to mitigate or negate their strengths (charm, mind control, neck attacks, etc).
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline sdfds68

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 10:03:36 PM »
A 13th century crusader eh?

If he's an actual knight (not like a Knight of the Cross, just a normal knight), then he's got several things going for him, equipment wise.

1. Plate mail.
2. A horse.
3. Possible access to early gunpowder, if he's rich or knows rich people
4. An order of knights that act as contacts or potential backup
5. Possible access to rare items, like a book of prayers, holy artifacts, a sword made from the finest steel in known world, a famous shield passed down a family line, etc.

If not an actual knight, you may want to consider making him related to a wealthy merchant. High-quality or rare equipment can become difficult to justify having for people without noble blood or money.

As for items specific for protection from vampire attacks, go with holy stuff. For a vampire hunter specifically, it's pretty easy to justify them seeking out divine aid against bloodsuckers. In addition to giving your character more things to satisfy a catch with, these sorts of objects can be used as the basis for declarations and maneuvers during combats.

However, against mind control/charm attempts, you're probably going to want to focus on skills or stunts over equipment. Equipment can help, but 'a pure heart' or 'a will of steel' will probably go a lot farther than anything most characters would reasonably be carrying around.

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 10:39:30 PM »
I like the Knight order. Maybe an order that specifically combats blampires.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline sdfds68

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 04:00:13 AM »
Finally, a chance to name an organization 'The Order of the Crow' without it sounding like a Game of Thrones reference. :P

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 03:04:47 PM »
A small mirror...

although, that might not be necessary for a Dresden blampire...they don't really look human (or alive, more accurately) so using a mirror to determine whether someone is a vampire doesn't seem necessary.

These are my favorites so far:

Reliable mundane weaponry for unexpected enemies

Fake licenses and IDs

Not only are they cool but a must for dealing with Renfields and thralls...and then dodging the authorities after you've dealt with them.

Offline sdfds68

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 01:39:54 AM »

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, a shovel might not be the best way to hide a body in all cases. While it may specifically be useful for areas with loose earth and lower populations, cities, arid landscapes, swamps and so on all have different requirements for getting away with violence. A more likely tool set would be a number of large garbage bags and a saw.

Then, as long your hunter has an excuse, it becomes much easier to transport bodies to wherever it is they need to be hidden. The stomachs of some native wildlife or livestock would be a good choice for most corpses, but lakes, interior walls, volcanoes or of course, graveyards would all be natural locations to leave the dead without much chance of them being found.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 01:41:36 AM »
Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, a shovel might not be the best way to hide a body in all cases. While it may specifically be useful for areas with loose earth and lower populations, cities, arid landscapes, swamps and so on all have different requirements for getting away with violence. A more likely tool set would be a number of large garbage bags and a saw.

Then, as long your hunter has an excuse, it becomes much easier to transport bodies to wherever it is they need to be hidden. The stomachs of some native wildlife or livestock would be a good choice for most corpses, but lakes, interior walls, volcanoes or of course, graveyards would all be natural locations to leave the dead without much chance of them being found.

All you need is a pet ghoul.  Problem solved.

Offline sdfds68

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 05:15:32 AM »
All you need is a pet ghoul.  Problem solved.

:D
Sure, but how are you going to housetrain it? :P

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 11:37:40 PM »
:D
Sure, but how are you going to housetrain it? :P

Maybe the PC vampire hunter is a ghoul!