Author Topic: Maneuvers to get armor or weapons?  (Read 1693 times)

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Maneuvers to get armor or weapons?
« on: November 08, 2014, 06:15:50 AM »
Hello all,

I was just wondering if you would allow someone to use earth magic to apply the aspects Armed or Armored as part of an evocation spell?  This just seems cool to me but the items would be crude unless you had very good craftsmanship skills?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Maneuvers to get armor or weapons?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 12:53:34 PM »
Well, you could create blocks or aspects that would help on your defense. But if it's something you want to do an a regular basis, I think it might be easier to take a toughness power and link it to human form. Activating the power would be narrated as a spell, but wouldn't necessarily have to be one.

So it would look something like this:

Human Form [+1]
affecting:
 Supernatural Toughness [-4]
  The Catch (only protects against things a regular armor would protect against) [+2]
------------------
Total: [-1]

That way you have something that's covered by the rules, and you don't have to manufacture something with evocation.

How it looks is another story, and would probably depend on the wizards style. A block of rock, vines twining around him, his skin turning to steel, his clothes turning to platemail, and so on could all be done. Craftymanship only plays a minor part, I would think, as the magic translates the wizards thoughts into an item directly.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 07:33:38 PM »
I would definitely let someone use earth magic to create Aspects, and maybe low-rated temporary gear, but making items is really a thaumaturgical task.

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 09:35:29 PM »
Hello all,

I was just wondering if you would allow someone to use earth magic to apply the aspects Armed or Armored as part of an evocation spell?  This just seems cool to me but the items would be crude unless you had very good craftsmanship skills?

if the thaumaturgy is high enough you could creat long lasting stuff fairly quick. base spell is 15 minutes you could give yourslef rock armor worht a few points. Or conjure a steel sword. I think a high enough lore and within a minute or so you could be well armed and armored. Course using said weapons depends on skills but with a quick ritual you could probably boost those as awell. Lots you can do If you want
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 09:37:15 PM by potestas »

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 09:49:57 PM »
Can't evocation blocks have their power halved to act like armour?
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 10:01:21 PM »
Yes. Armour isn't necessarily armour, though.

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 10:51:27 PM »
Basically I was thinking being able to craft up armor like Michael's (- the kevlar of course...)
-So basically Armor with a rating of 2 as a quick little evocation, but I do think Thaumaturgy is a better fit?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 10:56:12 PM »
Evocation lets you do this:

Power gives 1 point of armour/2 shifts.  It lasts 1 exchange so you'd need to put duration into it.  I'd use those rules and narrate them as 'crafting' instant armour.  I wouldn't bother with creating different ways of using evocation to make permanent items.  That's thaumaturgy.

So your armour 2 would be 4 shifts.  You could make it power 6 and it would last 3 exchanges.

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 11:28:19 PM »
Evocation lets you do this:

Power gives 1 point of armour/2 shifts.  It lasts 1 exchange so you'd need to put duration into it.  I'd use those rules and narrate them as 'crafting' instant armour.  I wouldn't bother with creating different ways of using evocation to make permanent items.  That's thaumaturgy.

So your armour 2 would be 4 shifts.  You could make it power 6 and it would last 3 exchanges.

thats why something in thaumaturgy could do the same thing except last longer and give you more strength or even a combo of armor and block.