Author Topic: An eBook publishing site  (Read 5218 times)

Offline sights unseen

• Participant
    • View Profile
An eBook publishing site
« on: September 02, 2007, 03:12:48 PM »
Someone at the Kelley Armstrong board has three books published by this eBooks site. So I went there. Not sure if it's entirely romance, but there are many paranormal genres.

What I like about it is you can read the first chapters of the books. I figure I can study them to see how to get my chapters going.

anywho, here's the link. If you click on the picture of the book, it will take you to where you can read a sample chapter.

http://www.cobblestone-press.com/index.htm

I might even consider sending in one of my manuscripts, if I ever get one finished. I doubt any author there lives off their royalities, but it would be a good way to get your stuff out there.

Anyone heard of this place? And would you consider eBooks as an alternate way to publish your manuscript?

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
Re: An eBook publishing site
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 03:29:46 PM »
Among my collegues at the writer's group I go to, publishing an ebook is frowned upon.

Self-publishing a hard copy book is good for poets and workbooks that support a lecture, but for a fiction novel, the perception seems to be that anything self-published is self-published because it's not good enough that the writer could find anyone to take it on.  And since we all know how crappy some stuff published by some big firms can be, that must mean it's reeeeeallly bad. (Whether it actually is that bad or not, apparently the author him/herself didn't believe in it enough to persevere.)

E-book is further down the totem pole than that. E-books are good as give away teasers, but I can't see people making much money from them at all. As you said, you get to read a bunch of chapters for free. Ask yourself this... after reading those chapters, did you just *have to have* the rest of the book and pay to download it? Or did your attention quickly flit on to the nexy shiny object of your life?

That said, once you have your novel published by a reputable firm in hard copy, I've heard publishing an Electronic copy via PDF is a great way to boost your sales.

JMwriter's group's O
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline sights unseen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 04:27:54 PM »
I should ask the gal who's published her books there what her opinion is about the site. If she's happy with her 'sales', does she get many readers. She's seem pretty happy about her books being published there, but I suppose the word 'published' would make anyone giddy.

I didn't see a place on there that showed how many customers or repeat customers came to the site. But there are a heck of a lot of writer's publishing there and many books available. But those books could be sitting alone in a void if no one clicks to read them.

Are eBook sites just self-publishing sites in disguise?

Oh, down at the bottom left there was some info, but nothing on the number of customers they have. I'm still curious about it. I think the 'frowned upon' attitude is valid, but I also think electronic publishing is in our future. Maybe far future, but still, something to consider. And there are going to be authors who are going to frown on something. Some look down their noses at straight romance, others think there's too much sex in books, etc.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 04:36:17 PM by sights unseen »

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 06:04:10 PM »
Are eBook sites just self-publishing sites in disguise?

I think the 'frowned upon' attitude is valid, but I also think electronic publishing is in our future. Maybe far future, but still, something to consider.

I can't really answer that question. On the one hand, publishing via e-book *IS* self-publishing. On the other hand, are there companies out to make a profit by diversifying their products int the e-book niche and not being forthcoming about it? Probably, I just don't know.

I agree with your second comment. I think it's in our future too, sadly. My most recent laptop purchase came with a program already installed for downloading E-magazines and E-books. I do 90% of my reading and writing on the web as it is now. But there is nothing there that can take the place of an unplugged evening with a warm fire and a hot romance in my hands.

;)

Offline sights unseen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 07:18:48 PM »
Just for curiousity sake, I emailed Cobblestone Publishing and asked about their sales and customer numbers. Seems like that information should be publically available, especially if they actually do have a large or growing customer/return customer count. Doesn't hurt to ask. I'll let ya'll know if they reply.  ;)

Didn't Stephen King do an eBook on Amazon? And I know Amazon also sells eBooks too. And from what I've read, you could put hundreds of books on one CD, or whatever it uses. I think eBooks will eventually creep into our everday worlds where we don't give it a second thought.

And I wondered about quality of writing in eBooks too.

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 08:32:37 PM »
Yes, he did. But he's Stephen King and he could sell mimeographs of his grocery list and people would fall all over themselves to buy it.  :D

Actually, snarky comment aside, he's got years and years of brand recognition in his name, he has the freedom to publish in any format and people already know the quality of his work (whether they like it or not is their own opinion. They know what they're getting.)

For an "unpublished" author, the perception is still that the quality is not there, or that the writer doesn't have enough faith in his own work to persevere.

It's also very rare for a reputable publishing company to touch a book after it has been published via self-publishing in any form.... but it's not completely unheard of. James Redfield's Celestine Prophecy was self-published and was such a word of mouth success that Warner Books came to him and offered to publish a second printing. Ten years or so later, the book became a movie.

So, anything's possible.

Offline sights unseen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 09:13:07 PM »
Got a reply back. Didn't sound too happy that I asked for the information:

"Ms. James,

We do not have “public sales” figures and releasing numbers on sales would be a violation of author privacy.

I can tell you that we average 200,000 visitors a month to our website.

Deanna Lee

Yahoo IM ID: deannaleebooks
www.deannaleebooks.com
www.cobblestone-press.com

http://nakedpublisher.blogspot.com/

Firstly, it's Ms. Jones , and I would think if they sold a lot they would say something like, "we average 10,000 book sales a month." I didn't ask for individual sales, just what was their sales figures in general. Oh well. 

And visitors and buyers are two separate animals.  ::)

I'll contact the gal that publishes there and see what she says. I'll let ya'll know later.  ;)

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 09:20:12 PM »
Cool!

Thanks for sharing.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 03:35:17 AM »
Didn't Stephen King do an eBook on Amazon? And I know Amazon also sells eBooks too. And from what I've read, you could put hundreds of books on one CD, or whatever it uses. I think eBooks will eventually creep into our everday worlds where we don't give it a second thought.

Writers who already have something of a name seem to be able to do themselves some good with eBook distribution.  Charlie Stross talks about this in public a lot; Cory Doctorow does too, and I think they have both quoted figures.  Likewise Baen's Bar seems to be doing rather well, though again that's affiliated with a print publisher of long-standing known reputation.

I very much doubt e-publishing a first novel by an unknown author is a good idea.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 11:42:23 PM »
At this point in time, e-books for first times authors are looked upon as if a vanity press.

IE, not good, and not professional.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline MerryB

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 03:57:18 AM »
Um, guilty.

I've bought books from Cobblestone Press, and on more than one occasion.  Can't say I'm a good critiquer for whether or not a book is well-written, but IMO some ebooks are good, some are bad, some ebook publishers do a good job editing, and some (defunct) ebook publishers don't.  Yes, this applies to stories I have read from Cobblestone Press.  Yes, I watch for some of their authors' next books.  Yes, I buy ebooks from more than one e-publisher.

If an author catches my attention, I will buy their tale, fiction or non-fiction, whether it be e-published or paper-published.  I will especially buy their ebook if it be late at night and no bookstore be open.  I will often buy an ebook in addition to, sometimes in place of, a paper edition.  Since our house is small, paper editions often go to the local Goodwill equivalent (whine), and the ebook edition remains with me.

Don't know what the pay structures and rates are for ebook publishing versus paper publishing, but might some of the anti-ebook sniffing be simply established prejudice?  Please educate me.

Sincerely,
A Recovering Packrat, and a Happy Bookaholic

Offline sights unseen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 02:18:16 PM »
I have to agree with MerryB. And Mickey Finn.  ;D

One the one hand, I think there's a bit of snobbery by writers concerning eBooks. But on the other, I wonder how dedicated the esite actually is when it comes to good writing and editing. Do they actually reject any manuscript or take anything? From the response I got from them, that particular person didn't sound too chatty about wanting to reveal any information on the company.

Need to get in touch with that gal.  ::)

Oh, and I'll probably be an older lady when or if I'm ever published. Or maybe by that time, eBooks will have become legitimate.  ;D

Well, on her blog, she says she and her editor there go through a standard three rounds of edits. just some nosey fyi.  ;D

« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 02:55:58 PM by sights unseen »

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 09:15:05 PM »
I believe most e-book publishers do not do any editing or proofing at all, unless they offer it as an extra cost service. They mostly don't care what your subject is, since they have no investment in promoting it or selling it themselves.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 01:55:34 AM »
Bingo on the last two posts. That's why it's frowned upon.

Also, honestly, it's a tad annoying when people who have gone through all the hard work of legit press (and right now, epublishing is NOT legit press. Hopefully, that will one day change) get put on a panel at a con with someone who is a vanity press (or equivalent) going on and on about being a writer. *

The exception to this rule is when said vanity press author acknowledges that they are a vanity writer and respects the hell the other authors went through in legit press. I have seen that happen, and they got a ton of respect for doing so.

*This is not from personal experience...well, I've been in the audience a few times.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 02:49:22 AM »
I'm reminded of a short story where a writer did manage to get big bucks out of a vanity press book. They wrote the most libelous, scandalous, slanderous biography imaginable about someone and sent it in to be published under a pseudonym, then when it was published and distributed, the vanity publisher had to settle massive damages.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH