Author Topic: Bad News for the Wiki  (Read 5502 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Bad News for the Wiki
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 05:52:26 PM »
I figure I'll pay the first month. Then I'll set up a Patreon or some other donation method so that people can contribute.

I'll add a page to the wiki explaining the funding situation, so that people know when money is needed.

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 07:31:03 PM »
Excellent. I'll certainly contribute to keep that awesome wiki around.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Sully

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 09:04:06 PM »
Paying would cost $5/month. Not all that much, but I'm not keen to reward Wikispaces for pulling this free/not free bait-and-switch. And I'm not sure exactly who would pay.

Set up a paypal or similar!

I don't have it in me to be upset over the change.  Bandwidth isn't free, and being free while building up a user base, and then trying to be profitable is a pretty standard business tactic.  It's nice of them to be free for education, imo.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 01:21:10 AM »
Wait, there might be a change of plans coming.

The other wiki organizer (bibliophile20) isn't keen on paying them. He doesn't trust Wikispaces much. So he'll be looking for a new host.

I'll keep you posted.

PS: I really appreciate the generosity here, even if it turns out not be necessary. It's nice to know that people are willing to back you up.

Offline gojj

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 03:41:36 AM »
Tiny update on the Patreon thing. Earlier this week I looked at their Creator FAQ and it seemed to be very focused on the idea of making sure the promised content is delivered, and since we aren't using it for content creation purposes (or at least not consistent content creation, I have no idea how often or to what extent the wiki is updated), I shot them an email giving an outline of the situation and asking if Patreon is set up for this kind of thing and I have yet to get a reply. However, if you plan on just moving this is probably just a moot point.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2014, 05:05:09 AM »
Alright, I bit the bullet and upgraded the wiki to a paid plan. The deadline wasn't until the 15th but I might have forgotten if I had cut it too close.

The good news is, there's a 30-day free trial. So I won't have to pass the hat around yet.

Offline gojj

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2014, 07:48:49 AM »
Have you thought more about the Kickstarter/Patreon as payment plan ideas? What would be easiest for you?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2014, 06:15:06 PM »
Things are still a bit in flux since the other wiki organizer would like to move, but if he doesn't find a place soon I'll set up a Patreon.

It seems more appropriate than Kickstarter, since this involves a steady trickle of money rather than a big lump of it.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2014, 06:52:42 AM »
The free month is just about over, so I've signed up for a proper subscription. They'll be billing me five bucks a month through PayPal from here on out.

I don't really have the time/energy to set up a Patreon or anything right now, though. I'll do it later.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2014, 09:11:22 PM »
Actually, it looks like we might be moving away from Wikispaces. An acquaintance of mine says that he can provide hosting and wiki software.

I'm not sure whether we'll move or how it'll happen if we do, but it is a possibility.

Offline idirex

• Conversationalist
  • "Wake Up Sheeple" xkcd
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2014, 03:59:57 PM »
Thank you for your work. I hope a suitable solution is found as soon as possible.

Edit: Have you considered this? http://evilhat.wikidot.com/
Maybe if we ask nicely they could let us use their space. This is DFRPG after all.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 02:45:54 PM by idirex »

Offline OwleIsohos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2014, 09:29:08 PM »
I'm also willing to donate, if need be.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2014, 12:57:55 AM »
Alright, I've got a Patreon up. Go there if you want to help me pay for this thing.

As will be obvious to anyone who follows that link, I'm also accepting donations for another mostly-unrelated site. But y'all can feel free to ignore that.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2014, 09:15:58 PM »
Less than a day later, the cost of the wiki is covered and so is more than half of the cost of the other site. Though I don't know which donations were intended for which site.

My thanks to any of you who contributed.