Author Topic: Big bad wolf  (Read 2126 times)

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Big bad wolf
« on: September 08, 2014, 02:24:38 PM »
So, I want to create elder werewolf (NOT Loup-garou). He must tottaly control himself and his poweres, but he must be also stronger than Alphas. If you let use example from comics... if Billy is Hawkeye, so, my werewolf must be Midnighter.
Any ideas?
RPG of my dreams: vampires from True Blood, mages from Dresden files, werewolves from Mercy Thompson and fairy from... Hm,I shall think.

Offline solbergb

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Big bad wolf
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 03:22:31 PM »
Well, start by just optimizing the skill shuffle.

High resources/contacts/social skills in human form, high physical skills in wolf form, he's good at both sides of being a werewolf.

Give him a few more skill points to play with than is typical for your refresh level, or simulate the extra experience with stunts that improve skills or swap trappings so he's solidly good at whatever you want him to be, and unusually expert at his specialties.

add the usual inhuman speed/strength/teeth.  Give supernatural recovery NOT as part of his shapeshift, he can heal himself in human form too, and heal either form incredibly fast.  Don't forget your echoes of the beast and pack instincts stuff.  Maybe give him a pack of wolves to work with in wolf form, and an organization of some kind in human form (mercenaries, criminal organization, corporation, something).  Alternately give him a pack of lesser werewolves to lead, built along similar lines but with fewer skills/refresh.  Pack instincts is really scary with a big pack.  If you want a hybrid human/beast form option consider human guise instead of human form...you get most of the shapeshift powers if you go all furry but don't get skill swap unless you change to a true animal.

I think that's probably enough to pull off a pretty impressive character.   If you really want to go gonzo on the SU powers, some kind of psychic attack (incite emotions or maybe dominate) that lets him exert power over wolves and the "wolf" portion of opposition (easier if a werewolf, but some aspects might let him into other characters) might be possible, but I'd just use social skills myself.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 03:27:56 PM by solbergb »

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 03:48:59 PM »
Well, the Alphas are in full control of their powers, so that's a good place to start. Instead of "inhuman" powers, you could upgrade him to have "superhuman" or even "mythic" level powers. Add to that a good amount of more skill points, and you've got a beast that's going to be hard to conquer.

I you want to put in some more things, you could give him incite emotion (fear) for his howl, for example.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 03:53:16 PM »
Are you looking for him to be a stand alone Big Bad Wolf or the alpha of a pack? That would play pretty big into how you're wanting to build him.

If standalone, I'd upgrade some of his physical powers to represent greater control. Like solbergb suggests, I would give him some of those in Human form to represent a much greater level of control.

If with a pack, I'd still upgrade some of his powers but also give him stunts to represent the extra teamwork benefits he gets from working with his pack.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 06:36:58 PM »
Actually, I have some houserule-project about DF-werewolves as supernatural global power, like Red Court or White Counsil (cuz I really dislike their role in original verse).
I can show you but my friend told me, that they are seems too much strong.
RPG of my dreams: vampires from True Blood, mages from Dresden files, werewolves from Mercy Thompson and fairy from... Hm,I shall think.

Offline solbergb

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 07:54:17 PM »
when in doubt, use the refresh totals of Red Court to limit how gonzo you go on the SU powers.   If you spend that much refresh you're going to end up with a mighty strong nation.

Skill shift alone is actually quite powerful, and for things patterned on real animals, inhuman is probably as high as you want to go except maybe for recovery where shapeshifting heals you really fast.

You could also go down the Teen Wolf route, where minor grade werewolves just are humans with fur and claws and a bit of a boost, actually going all the way into animal form is rare and a sign of true power.  That gives you roughly ghoul-strength rank-and-file with vampire-strength "made-men", if you assumed a kind of Mafia-like hierarchy, with your Tony Soprano type being the equivalent of a vampire noble in refresh spent and skill tree.

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 08:11:02 PM »
Dude, I read my mind (not totally but)

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 09:45:50 AM »
BTW, which stats can have Wolf from Fables (The wolf among us)?

Offline solbergb

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 03:22:40 PM »
The Big Bad Wolf from Fables has mythic recovery, supernatural (at least) everything, senses, claws, something like sponsored magic (North Wind) (or evocation/thaum themed with that - I'll Huff and I'll Puff and I'll blow your house down), and most of his powers work in human form.

He's a legend right up there with Snow White, or in Dresdenverse about at a faerie Lady+loup garou level without the vulnerabilities, upgraded to Faerie queen when he inherited North Wind. Probably not at the level of the Mothers or an archangel even then. 

I'd treat him as an obstacle, not an opponent, for most refresh levels of play.

Popular Fables are very, very badass in Fables, and Big Bad is in the top 10 we've seen.  At minimum they're pretty much unkillable as long as their stories are still being told, so they qualify as true immortals, like the Queens of Faerie.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 03:29:17 PM by solbergb »

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 03:44:59 PM »
My face, when I read it:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 03:53:09 PM by Tirs »

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 04:49:08 PM »
And also, what you think about Fenris? I mean, in DF-verse there is Odin, so, why can't be Fenris? For example, now he is dream in the depth of Nevernever, but he still alive (oh, hello Mr. Lovecraft) and send lesser wolf spirits which are the basis for created werewolf.

Offline solbergb

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 06:03:12 PM »
Fenris and Bigby from Fables are about equivalent in mojo.   Fenris might even be bigger, more like an archangel, since he's one of the folks slated to break the world in the end.