Author Topic: Simple Weapons  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Simple Weapons
« on: August 27, 2014, 05:20:54 PM »
I did a thread ages ago asking the same question but I want to get other opinions.

If you were to include things like Muskets and cross-bows in a game (things that load slowly) how would your represent that?

Things like re-loading a clip on a weapon or drawing a weapon is usually a supplemental (in my mind).

Part of me thinks that, with the flexible time of an exchange, I shouldn't worry about it.  Maybe just have a city theme that reflects archaic weapons and use the aspect to compel stuff like weapons taking time to load or jamming etc...

Another part of me thinks it should be every 'x' amount of exchanges for a shot.  Then it would be cool to have an easy test to re-load a gun.  the more shifts you gain the faster you load it.  So speed powers would affect it.

For reference, here's the thread.  I'm just reviving for more opinions/ideas.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,34465.0.html

Offline JGray

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Weapons
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 05:42:32 PM »
Instead of including a new mechanic, could we assign Aspects to items?

For example, a muzzle-loading rifle might have the Aspect 'Slow loading'. A player decides to shoot and the GM compels the Aspect, explaining that the rifle will need to be loaded first and that will take an exchange...
Ray of Sunshine , a Dresden Files RPG Campaign.

Occult Orlando, setting for Ray of Sunshine.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 05:42:54 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it unless it's relevant. Having an opponent with an archaic weapon can give you an opportunity to do maneuvers like "He's reloading" and use that on your next attack, saying that you are waiting with your approach until he is reloading, and since his weapon takes a lot longer than modern weapons, he can cross the distance and get to him. You could even do a guns vs. athletics roll to see if  the guy finishes reloading first, if you like.

But I wouldn't put down any rules like "it takes X exchanges to reload" or something like that. It doesn't feel like it would accomplish much, other than punishing a player for his choice of style.

Maybe with some sort of benefit attached to it. Making the reloading a maneuver in itself, and the weapon has a stunt that gives you +3 for tagging that aspect on your roll (or +4 when only using it as additional damage). You'd still need to do it, but it would give you a benefit beyond what would usually happen.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 12:04:21 AM »
As others have said, Aspects on the weapons. 
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Kilmrak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 11:19:58 PM »
I would go with aspects on the weapons, that is what I do in my games