Author Topic: emissary of power quesition  (Read 3287 times)

Offline ohiowarden

• Participant
    • View Profile
emissary of power quesition
« on: August 22, 2014, 08:34:17 PM »
can you be an  emissary of two people? Prometheus and his brother Epimetheus gaining foresight and hindsight. Or can you only be a emissary of one person?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: emissary of power quesition
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 09:28:41 PM »
Sure, why not? As long as the two masters aren't totally at odds, it should work. And even then, it could work just for a single case.

If you go with the two brothers, they could even work as one master, leading some sort of brain trust together, and the character would be the emissary of this brain trust rather than the two individually. Should free up some refresh as well.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline solbergb

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 01:30:05 PM »
Sure, but you'd want a second aspect involved in most cases (high concept for one, and trouble for another would be funny.  You could maybe word the aspects so which is the trouble varies....)

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 07:41:55 PM »
Yeah, being an Emissary of a group of related beings makes sense. The Winter Knight is in some sense an Emissary of all three Queens, I think.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 01:24:18 AM »
Actually, you could make a case for being an emissary of two competing beings.

The reason for this is basically because emissaries generally only hold the title for a few days. Harry was only Mab's emissary for the period of time covering Aurora's attempt to end the world in Summer Knight, then he was back to being just a regular Wizard. He was the Council's emissary for Bianca's party and for the party crash in White Night too (along with Carlos, of course).

So if you have a character that has a long term job as the Emissary of, say, Hermes and then takes up the job as an Emissary of Odin he could conceivably end up on both sides of a conflict. It would make for an interesting concept, I think, if he has to try and balance the responsibilities being placed on him by his masters, potentially coming to a point where he has to choose one or the other to serve. That choice alone could fuel multiple scenarios.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline gojj

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 02:24:05 AM »
Well the general consensus seems to be encouraging of the idea, but I would just like to add that while being an emissary to two beings story wise is fine, I don't think that the power should be taken more than once. This may be obvious, but for the sake of clarity I thought it needed to be said.

Offline Starjammer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 01:08:07 AM »
If you can find two powers who are willing to bestow their favor on an emissary who would perforce have divided loyalties.  From that perspective I just don't see it working, except under very limited circumstances like a temporary alliance.  Supernatural forces aren't really known for their excessive tolerance of moonlighting.  Just the opposite, in fact.

I don't think the Knights' duties to the Faerie Queens really count because they're Knights to the Courts, which involves service to the Queens.  Or, as Harry put it to Eldest Gruff:

Quote from: Small Favor
I tilted my head and stared hard at him. “You say that you serve Summer and the Queen. In that order?”

Offline solbergb

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 03:27:50 AM »
Eh, Harry is both White Council and Winter Court.

He could easily be tapped as an emissary of both to a given situation.  He might even be expected to keep his goals of his two hats separate.  "As a White Council Wizard, the argument is THUS, but as the Winter Knight, I have to argue in favor of THEOTHER.   Decide for yourself which Power you wish to offend and I'll pass witness back."

Offline Starjammer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 08:20:42 AM »
Eh, Harry is both White Council and Winter Court.

He could easily be tapped as an emissary of both to a given situation.  He might even be expected to keep his goals of his two hats separate.  "As a White Council Wizard, the argument is THUS, but as the Winter Knight, I have to argue in favor of THEOTHER.   Decide for yourself which Power you wish to offend and I'll pass witness back."

Riiiiight.  Because the Senior Council trusted him so completely before he became the Winter Knight behind their backs.  The closest he's come to serving the interests of both was when Mab dragooned him into being her Emissary while the Senior Council put him on trial-by-ordeal for his life.  I think that was Summer Knight?

On the Stone Table, Mab didn't say "MINE... but you can help the White Council out too."  I have zero doubt that she expects Harry's exclusive loyalty service, no matter what other associations he may attempt to keep.

As for the Council, I expect that after they un-dead Harry at Rashid's request they'll nominally keep him on as a Warden but only so they can have a string on him.  As the Winter Knight, they'll expect him to be Mab's creature and it'll implicitly confirm their own worst suspicions about him.

Offline JGray

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 12:48:51 PM »
I think we need to consider the difference between Emissary and emissary in game terms. You can be an emissary (representative of) something without being bestowed any power. In game terms, an Emissary is someone who has been granted abilities by an emissary of power. I don't find it likely, for example, that Summer would give power to someone working for Odin except, perhaps, as part of a short term strategy (like when Harry got his butterfly upgrade when he invaded Mab's fortress).

That being said, you can become an Emissary of an organization easily enough. As Winter Knight, Harry doesn't serve the three Queens individually as the Winter Knight. He serves the as the Emissary of the Winter Court. If two Titans formed an organization, perhaps your guy can serve that organization.

And, of course, it is all up to the GM.
Ray of Sunshine , a Dresden Files RPG Campaign.

Occult Orlando, setting for Ray of Sunshine.

Offline jstomel

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 04:21:45 AM »
Think of how vaderung wears two mantles. You could be the emissary of two powers, perhaps even conflicting powers, but maybe not both at once. They could be legally and perhaps metaphysically distinct entities that your character has to juggle. That sounds fun.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 05:20:51 AM »
Sure, but you'd want a second aspect involved in most cases (high concept for one, and trouble for another would be funny.  You could maybe word the aspects so which is the trouble varies....)
;D
HC:  "I'm the Emissary of a Titan; I see (and act) on a scale even other immortals seldom perceive!"
T:  "I'm the Emissary of ANOTHER of the Titans... and I'm called upon to see and act upon scales I've never even considered!"
 :o

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 11:37:45 AM »
Harry is, basically.  Mab and Demonreach.  It works out well for him.

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 12:11:31 AM »
If you can find two powers who are willing to bestow their favor on an emissary who would perforce have divided loyalties.  From that perspective I just don't see it working, except under very limited circumstances like a temporary alliance.  Supernatural forces aren't really known for their excessive tolerance of moonlighting.  Just the opposite, in fact.

I don't think the Knights' duties to the Faerie Queens really count because they're Knights to the Courts, which involves service to the Queens.  Or, as Harry put it to Eldest Gruff:

that certanily leaves harry quite a bit of leg room with mab...all is not lost harry/.